Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  04:10:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Since I am not out with Tala any longer- I can only get out to see her a couple of times a week. She had a huge nasty tick on her last time I got out to see her and I honestly can stand the things. I know I have seen tick meds at the feed store but am hesitant to use them. Anyone ever tried these? Thoughts?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  06:20:35 AM  Show Profile
I try to stay away from chemicals as much as possible. Hemostats work great for getting a good grip on them and yanking them out especially in some hard-to-reach areas. Are you seeing a lot on Tala or just one or two? Some folks try using garlic as a deterrent, but I get concerned about the potential blood thinning properties of garlic, and haven't pursued it much. Horses have a way of getting themselves dinged up easily and I wouldn't want to worry about having a bleeder, especially if she wasn't where you could check on her regularly.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
"Look deep into Nature, and then you will understand everything better."--Albert Einstein
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  06:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I have problems with ticks on my horses too. The ticks like the lighter colored ones better for the most part. Because they are cooler. When the horse warms up from work they will come off. Deer tend to bring them in. I notice that the ticks are less numerous when my chickens are out which is most of the time, but just a week of keeping the chickens up and there is a big difference. They only bother my horses in the winter. I have heard that one can put a ring of SWAT around the legs just above the hoof and it makes sense that it would help a lot. I have also heard that a flock of guinneas is a good remedy for ticks. I might get some sometime. They are nasty but they spread disease and one just has to put on a surgical glove and pick them off. If it bothers you to smash them you can take a large plastic coke bottle and put an inch or so of gasoline in it and drop them in there.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  1:26:48 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I've heard Guinea Hens are fabulous about removing ticks on properties. They are gone before they have a chance to get on the horse, cows, what ever. Would the landlord and/or new tenants be interested in having some guineas?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/guinea-fowl-zm0z03zsie.aspx

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  4:09:05 PM  Show Profile
Very cool article Audrey.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I know! I'm seriously thinking of getting me a guinea flock. We have miller moths something fierce here and I've heard they can help with that, also the mosquitoes were quite bad last year and I guess that is also a favorite food of guineas. Ticks don't seem to be a problem here but maybe Hobbs just didn't venture into tick territory in his old age. Kipper seems quite happy to run in the wild prairie, I'll have to check him for ticks.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  8:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
All great suggestions but we are talking about 500 acres. That would have to be a lot of birds!! They actually do have two Guinneas out there. What interesting looking birds!! I think I will just keep an eye out for the ticks for the time being. Ick yuck :(

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2012 :  09:32:02 AM  Show Profile
if you get alot in the mane and tail you can wash them with Dawn Dish Soap, but Rinse it out good and then use a conditioner of some sort. The ticks can live when they get covered in soap, works on dogs to, also a good flea bath.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  02:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Do you have the problem all summer or just mostly in the spring? We are lucky that we usually only have a few weeks that we have to deal with them here in eastern WA.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2012 :  09:08:12 AM  Show Profile
I know that question was for Alee but for my 2 cents worth, we get them worse in the winter because the ticks are looking for a warm spot to be. But when the horses are worked they crawl off cause they get too warm. They tend to like our light colored horses better. And also our horses run on 600 acres but in the winter they hang out a lot around the barn and having chickens out there makes a big difference. I think I will get some guinneas too. When the chickens are up for a week or so I notice a huge difference. I'm talking the difference between having to remove 20 ticks or 2000! I haven't tried it yet but I am going to try putting swat around their lower legs to keep the little creeps from crawling up their legs.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com

Edited by - crittergranny on Apr 01 2012 7:52:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  6:11:05 PM  Show Profile
Hello Alee,

My husband has always had horses and takes good care of them. He gives them an Ivermectin paste(comes in its own tube like syringe, just put in mouth and push the plunger) and once a year Ivermectin injectable. Gets rid of the ticks, worms, and flies.

Your horse is pretty, I've enjoyed the pictures you have shared.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Tick Deterant? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page