meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  5:21:12 PM  Show Profile
I have been getting quite a few eggs with blood in them. What could be wrong? They are from different hens.

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  5:31:35 PM  Show Profile
stress, injury during the egg making process can cause blood, is it alot or just a drop, is it in the yolk, or on the yolk...every once in a while I will find a drop, sometimes a piece of shell or even sand in the yolk...it never seems to be any big deal as long as it isn't everyday, or large amounts...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:32:26 PM  Show Profile
i read in my storey book that older hens will sometimes do this. certain breeds are more prone to blood spots. what kind do you have? how old are they?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:36:23 PM  Show Profile
I was told the sometimes when a rooster is present to "do his job" you will get eggs like this. It comes from being fertile.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:38:49 PM  Show Profile
ok I was wrong here is what is said on the Incredible Edible Egg site.

Blood Spots
Occasionally found on an egg yolk. These tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Instead, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood and those eggs are removed. However, even with mass scanners, it’s impossible to catch them all.

Both chemically and nutritionally, eggs with blood spots are fit to eat. You can remove the spot with the tip of a knife, if you wish

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  6:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your answers. My girls are all one year old. I have 2 aricaunas, 2 brown leghorns, and 2 buff orpingtons. The blood is mostly in the white leghorn eggs, but I have found them in the others as well. Usually it is just a spot, but sometimes the white eggs have a lot of blood, even in the whites of the egg. The girls seem healthy other than that. I give them whole cabbages, greens and cracked corn for a treat along with the laying pellets. They are in a dog run during the day. Maybe something is scaring them while I am at work.
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  8:18:46 PM  Show Profile
I had some hens once that layed eggs with blood in them. Lots of blood egg after egg every day sometimes the whole egg, yuck! I did not have a rooster with them and it was way different than a fertile little bloodspot anyway. They were rhode island reds and I got them from Murray Mcmurray. That was about 10 yrs ago. Now although I do think for some reason dirt in the water will cause some bloodspots just from experience. Don't know why just seems to cause it a little. However I have never had trouble with it like I did with those hens before or since. Because of that experience I hardly ever buy any Rhode Island Reds.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2012 :  10:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Blood spots are nothing to worry about even though they may freak you out if you find one with a lot of blood in it.....Its the lots of blood on the outside of the shell that can be a worry.....The small spots occur often whether the hens are young or old but massive amounts of blood inside an egg can be caused by too many blood vessels breaking during its development but it does not mean anything is wrong with the hen itself :)...now if you get lots of blood on the outside shell you need to check the vent area to see if their is tearing...sometimes the hen will push too hard too fast & rake the insides of the vent area which can cause some heavy bleeding that shows up on the egg or in the poo...I have a few young ones that I have to watch cause they get bullied while in the nest & seem to be forcing the egg out too quick & this can happen......sometimes they are fine on their own but if I see any blood on the outside of the vent area I bring them in, bathe the area & use a cream on the outside area to help with any swelling & leave them in the house for the day to rest......& to see if there is any more bleeding.....also some breeds are known to have more eggs with blood spots than others...this I don't know why but I have read this somewhere.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogger.com
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2012 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about it, but most of the bloody eggs are from my two red leghorns. Maybe it is just the breed? Thanks for your input.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic blood in my eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page