Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Stupid things people (men) say
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Stupid things people (men) say Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  7:37:40 PM  Show Profile
I was talking to a man I had not seen in several years. He was out behind my house with his hunting dogs causing quite a stir with my goats and ram and the dogs were barking like crazy. So I had to go see what he was doing back there. And we got to talking across the electric fence. He asked how long we have lived here and if we bought or are renting. And then asked what I did. I said I am a farmer. He asked what my husband does. I said he drives a truck. He said, well, someone has to work.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  8:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Kris: I'm sorry for that. Hugs to my friend the farmgirl farmer. Remember, it really doesn't matter what he or anyone else thinks. Don't choose to think less of yourself by what the man said, stick your chin out and do your thing. Continue to choose to know what your are, a woman farmer. I'd be mighty proud of it.
Hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  8:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Kris, when I read your post, the first thing that came to mind was; he's right, farmer's work very hard! Not to take anything away from your husband, cuz I know that driving a truck is no picnic. And ditto to what Marly said. Yay for farmers and farmgirls...

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  9:18:36 PM  Show Profile
I hope you gave him a good come back Kris! What an idiot! You should invite him to be an "intern" for a week on your farm and then ask him what he thinks about your "hobby". HA!

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  04:54:08 AM  Show Profile
You should have asked him if being an ass was his part or full time occupation.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  05:06:58 AM  Show Profile
You should have said "Why thank you finally someone reconizes what I do." and smile.

Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  05:15:04 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I hate it when people say things like that. My MIL and SIL came over to my house about 3 years ago when the recession hit. My SIL lives with my husbands mother for free and has for 14 years now. She is a Massage therapist. Anyways my DH and I were worried about the economy and how it was effecting our business. They have the nerve to come to my house and tell my DH that I needed to get a job. That I have never worked. I happen to walk in and hear them. I just looked over at my DH waiting for his reply. He tells them Dorinda does work she works in my office and does all the land work around here. All his sister does is work just enough and travels. She has never paid her mother a dime for living there. She want even dump the 40 lb. bag of salt in their water softener. I have to go down and do it. Saids it is to heavy and it might hurt her wrist which is her living. Yea right just an excuse. Her sister told me she goes to the gym and bench presses more than 40 lbs. Any ways I was livid. Awful funny this man had time to be out hunting and not working. He sounds like a nosey neighbor. Just like I have a nosey SIL and MIL. Don't let it bother you maybe you want have to see him for a long time again!!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  06:06:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry for that, Kris--after my experience with that man at the Poultry farm over the weekend, nothing surprises me about them. I think my next question to him might have been, "and why are you on my property again?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  06:29:44 AM  Show Profile
I think my mistake was that I didn't have my "farmer costume" on when I went back there. Because right away I knew it had to be a hunter when I heard a gunshot then saw the hunting dog tied to the very short post. Then saw the dog cage on the back of the pickup truck. Then I heard a 4 wheeler and saw him coming over a hill with another dog right after him. Plus he had on his hunting costume. So I knew that's what he was doing then. He said he was putting out bait for the wild game birds.

So my mistake was I changed my dirty farm clothes for clean clothes and put makeup on. You know, you don't want to look bad when you meet someone out in the country in your back yard, right? That's why I got the little snort when I said I was a farmer. So next time I see someone out back and go check it out, I WILL be wearing my old dirty farming clothes and no makeup and hair all askew from working in the fields plowing and planting and putting up fences for the sheep. What was I thinking anyway?

We just own 3 acres right in the middle of hay fields. So he was on the other guys land, not mine. But I like to know what's going on back there. At first I thought Tim had sold his land and someone was putting up corner posts to build a house and had loud barking dogs and we'd have to move.

I love all your great replies. I did actually say that I DO work when he said that and he sort of snickered. Sometimes I just don't get people at all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  07:12:35 AM  Show Profile
what an idiot ! he probably wouldn't last a week doing "nothing" on the farm
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  07:53:20 AM  Show Profile
hunters don't like alot of farmers/ranchers, cause they fence and do not want hunters on their land, cause hunters sometimes will shoot anything that moves, including horses and cattle, saying, "I thought it was a deer"...and on top of it, your man is gone alot, so they figure they can push you around and insult you...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  07:54:34 AM  Show Profile
kristin, you should have told him " You must not be much of a hunter if you have to put out bait."
My

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Hit the wrong button.
My dad hunted all his life. He didnt bait to hunt.

Just ignore him. If he is married I wonder how he treats his wife. If he's not married we all know why. -Marlee

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2012 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Rachel - Most people have to drop their pants to show their ass - he just has to open his mouth.

Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  03:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Lora! HA! How true! :)

It never amazes me what some people will say about farmers. Then again, maybe you were so darn cute (you said you did put on makeup and clean clothes) maybe he was taken aback by your farmish beauty and got all tongue tied... ;)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  06:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Ha, that is funny, Rachel!

Amy, you are so sweet. I like that, farmish beauty. Cool.

Well, my friends from up the road who are just getting started in farming and doing it all by the book, which is so cute, went with me to meet another farmer couple across the ridge. And I found out the she is the farmer most of the time and he just likes to drive the big machines for her. So he gets to play while she does all the real work. There are so many women farmers now. Just amazes me how many. They have a really nice greenhouse and a tunnel, which is like a HUGE hoophouse. She has all their winter veggies in there. They joined something that pays for all their supplies and for the greenhouse and tunnel. And seeds and soil and fertilizer. They just have to do all the work. I'll have to ask her more about it. But she is amazing. So we had a nice day yesterday. Then came home and put up more fence around the other garden so I can let sheep out around it but not in it yet. I need about 50 more feet then I am done there. So gotta go to town today. As soon as I leave all the sheep and goats will start popping out lambs and kids. Abby is about ready to go. Hopefully sometime today she'll have some kids. I hate waiting!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  09:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
Well, this is the same kind of response I got all the years I was a stay-at-home mom raising my daughter. Eventhough I was actively working in the many aspects of raising her and teaching her the skills of living, it was not considered any kind of a "classified job" with earning power. It was however the best work I ever did and now that my daughter is an adult I see the bountiful harvest from the seeds I planted in her development. Parenting is one of the most important jobs there is to do if you give birth to offspring, adopt or foster children. But as in farming, the skills and multi-discipline knowledge used is often not recognized. Just walk in your chosen paths of farming and trucking. Both are critical and essential in this day and are overlooked by the average citizen. Be comforted that many people are aware your efforts are essential but just don't convey it caught up in their own worlds. (And some world views are male dominated.) I am delighted to hear of your endeavors. "Keep a goin" and most of all, just "take what is good" from chats over the fence. Set up clear boundaries and politely call people out on "digs" clarifying with joy why what you do is important. The phrase "stand your ground" came from somewhere :-)
Respectfully yours,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  3:34:03 PM  Show Profile
Kristin- I too,agree with Rachel. Sorry you had to go thru that- I get the same reaction sometimes when people find out I have an online biz & work at home. Amazing as to how many interpret "work at home" as "I sit on my rump & watch TV all day & do nothin'" If I said "I own & operate a music store" as in a brick n mortar,well that qualifies as actual work! It never occurs to them that I'm actually making items to sell,taking pics of completed items,or listing them online,or packing up orders and setting them put for the postman.in addition to answering emails from potential customers. All of which takes time and effort. Every day. (Well I have gotten to where I take Sundays off) Doncha' wish you could have a "take two" and be able to come off with a good retort? (((HUGS)))

http://www.mandolinbabe.biz

http://www.fiddlebelle.com
http://www.banjobelle.biz
http://www.celticcowgirl.me

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin,banjo pickin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  8:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Sherrie, I am always thinking of things I should have said AFTER. Really good ones too. Oh well, I am sure he realized what he said was stupid. Maybe I'll take him some veggies or some lamb chops one day. I'm sure you work harder than some male executives who sit in offices all day having lunch meetings and business trips.

Annette, thank you. I still have a hard time justifying what I do. Like the other day when I took all the paperwork to a mortgage company where we are trying to get refinaced. The lady asked me if I worked. Again, I fidget and say well, I don't punch a time clock or get an actual pay check, but yes, I work. I actually have a better credit score than my husband does! Hmmm... He did help me hold my ewe that needed a shot today. Yay hubby! Sometimes I do need his help. He just happens to be home a few days. He helped burn a brush pile and get an old trailor loaded down with junk out of the sheep yard. And I put our old lawn mower on Craig's list today and he got that ready for a guy to come see. And sold it!! He gave me $25.00. Pretty busy day for the old guy. I do love him.

Y'all are great. Thanks for all the support. We farmer ladies need all the encouragement we can get, it seems.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  2:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Kris next time someone ask you if you work tell them: You are a Farm and Land Technical Employee. Its not a 9:00am to 5:00pm, its a 5:00am to 9:00pm. And if they ask your boss is tell them : Sheep, cows, horses, pigs, goats, chickens etc.......
Farmgirls Stick Together No Matter What...--Marlee

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2012 :  6:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Marlee, that's a good response. Thank you. Today I feel like I have worked those hours. All day outside planting and tilling and mulching. Just on and on. And STILL so much to do. But I feel like I am making a little bit of progress. Little by little it will get done. And I do believe I need a pig. The goat barn roof is getting shorter and shorter with all the hay and straw the goats waste. I am hitting my head every time I go in there. So I think a pig is the next thing to get to root up all that good stuff out there so I can use it on the gardens.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow... What a butthead. I would've said "Thank you... You're SO right. I wish my husband would get a REAL Job - all he does is sit around all day!" LOL!!! That would've put him in his place! (I am not at all suggesting that your hubby doesn't work - I know he works VERY hard! I just meant I'd turn the tables on the ignorance, there, that's all.) Or, maybe you could've even been more creative and gone for that HIS self-worth with a comment about how hard he must be having it, "having to hunt" for food and all. (Again - nothing wrong with hunting - I wish I could! Just throwing his "point" back at him.) You gotta be quick - stay on your toes, girlfriend. That guy needs to be put in his place and taken down a couple of notches! Let me at him! Sorry - feeling a little crabby today - does it show? LOL!!!

People can be special, can't they, Kristina? As a stay-at-home Mom, homemaker and homeschooler, people don't think I "work" either. I've learned to just brush it off because until they actually "walk a mile in my shoes," they will never understand. As long as you're confident within, you're aaaaaallll right. Don't let the buggers get you down.

Hugs to you-

Nini

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(") (")*

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Stupid things people (men) say Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page