Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  2:10:51 PM  Show Profile
My DH and I will be moving to Portland, OR the end of April-the end of July this year. I live in Florida and am, of course, assuming that it will be WAY colder up there. I plan to pack clothing I can layer but is there anything special I should have? Everyone here says it rains 24/7/365 there and the sun never shines. I'm hoping to find a bright yellow umbrella. Do I REALLY NEED rain boots? HELP!!I'm excited but anxious, as it really is the "other end of the country" from us and I understand that the mountains are HUGE!! (I'm not a big mountain person.) Thanks, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile
I have no advice for you about the weather, but that sounds like a grand adventure you're about to have. You are definitely going to the other end of the country. The only advice I have is to try your best to just enjoy the journey and all the new experiences. Wishing you the best of everything. (PS - I have a niece who lives in Dunedin!)

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  6:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I lived for a year in Portland - it does not rain 24/7/365. In fact the summer we were there was sunny and hot pretty much for 3 months. You don't need rainboots - unless you are living on acreage and then you might need mudboots. It is actually pretty temperate - next to Florida of course it will be chilly, but it doesn't have a typical winter with months of below freezing weather. A waterproof jacket and a bunch of sweaters should do you nicely.
Portland is great - you should enjoy it - one of the greatest bookstores in the world (Powell's - a full city block) and lots of fabulous food.
Have fun!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  06:32:53 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn,
It will probably feel cool to you at first. And you will notice there is a different moisture in the air. Cool humidity compare to warm humidity?? My way of explaining it anyway. Don't worry about the rainboots. It is not necessary. Suede shoes may not be your best choice from here on out, but ... you'll adapt. continue to look at it as the adventure you know it is. They have lovely public transportation. I hope you will be very happy there.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2012 :  07:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Joey, We moved to Seattle from So. California and that first winter I wore long underwear and gloves everyday, didn't think I would ever get used to the cold and dampness. Finally acclimated but never did get used to the dampness and gray skies, was so happy to move to the other side of the state where it is warmer and more sunny. Plan on it taking awhile to acclimate but it will happen.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  8:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks. I feel better about the weather. It's only 13 weeks..long enough to become a little part of the community (more than a tourist) but still new enough to be a wonderful adventure. I never dreamed I'd get to the NW and I'm SO happy about it. There is SO much we want to see. I'm a little anxious about the drive-it's further than I have ever been, but we can't wait to see NM and AZ. Hoping to have time to drive up the coast road. Can't wait, but already missing my Florida sunshine. Joey

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  07:55:58 AM  Show Profile
What a great time you will have! Be sure to stop at Crater Lake on your way to Portland. Enjoy the road trip :)

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2012 :  10:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Joey if you are going to NM and AZ is part ofbyour trip taking you through Texas too? Let me know and we maybe could arrange a "rest stop"and meet:)

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
We are taking RT. 40 across so yes, we go thru Texas. Is tat anywhere near you? I'd love to meet. Joey

Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  4:40:01 PM  Show Profile
It's near enough. Let me know when you have your travel dates finalized and I maybe could make a drive north. I am a few hours south of I-40, and it might even be closer to ride up into Oklahoma. Maybe we can figure this out and meet!!!! I am so excited.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2012 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile
That would be SO COOOl!! I'll keep you posted. Joey

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  05:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey Joey!

Don't forget to email me your new address when you get there! Hugs to you my friend!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  6:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nicloe, I'll be in touch, I promise. Hugs to you too. Joey

Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2012 :  7:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Are you only going to be there from April to July or is Portland your new nest?
I'm a native Floridian, but spent quite a bit of time in western states working during college. I loved, loved, loved the climate out that way.
As for the drive...my family (hubby, me & 3 kids) drove out to Montana this summer to visit hubby's family. We had the adventure of a lifetime. I planned overnight stops at the homes of friends and family all the way across the country. We had so much fun. Soaking in all the amazing things our great country has to offer.
I know that there would be farmgirls willing to let you do stop-overs along your trip. I know I would...but Fernandina, FL is northeast of Dunedin and you are headed northwest :)
Have fun!

--Marie--
Farmgirl Sister #1627
www.reereebee.etsy.com

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else” - J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Edited by - reereebee on Mar 16 2012 7:16:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  09:01:19 AM  Show Profile
I am a "travel nurse" which means I work for a company that places me in a hospital somewhere in the ccountry that I think I would like to be. Each contract is usually 13 weeks long and I only work in my chosen field which for me is psychiatric nursing, which I have done for 39 yrs now. (maybe I'M the one who is crazy!) My Dh and I travelled for 4 years until my Dad got sick and we moved to Dunedin, FL to be near him. We did contracts in Boston, MA in the summer and Knoville, TN in the fall when the leaves were changing in the Smokey Mountains. We spent one wonderful winter in Tallahassee, FL. We did 2 contracts to Temple,TX and Ft. Worth, TX. We loved TX and between the 2 contracts we were there almost a year.
Now we are headed to the far NW and it kinda blows me away. We never expected to get THERE and DH and I are VERY excited. We plan to get to Seattle too. We're mostly planning the trip out. We're going to see the kids at the farm in NC and then rushing thru TN, OK, AR (only because we've been there before and enjoyed it) except for Memphis-I HAVE to see ELVIS!-and then we plan to spend a couple days in NM and hopefully most of our time in AZ. The only thing truly left on my bucket list is to see my DH see Grand Canyon. I love AZ and have been there 3 times and had hoped to move there until DH showed up in my life, so I want to share it with him. We want to go thru the Mohave Desert and to see the big trees in Calif. We'll probably stop in Las Vegas. A dear friend I haven't seen forever lives in Sacramento so we will see her and then do the Redwood Forest. We leave the farm on 4/1 and I start work on 4/24 so we will be moving fast.
After Portland, we are hoping for a trip to Hawii or somewhere in California. This is a trip of a lifetime and we appreciate all of it. I have already told my DH that whenever we come home, this is my last trip. We have had such a wonderful time and truly enjoyed every minite of it but I want to get the photos in albums and clean out my Florida house and buy an RV and run back and forth from NC farm (where my DD and grand-girls and heart are)to FL where my beach and sunshine are. I want to be an almost daily part of the girls lives. It's been fun but I am ready to settle down a bit. BUT in the meantime, we've got adventures awaiting.
If anyone would like a postcard or something from somewhere specific, please e-mail me your request and address and I'll send it off to you on our way west. Thanks, Joey

Go to Top of Page

reereebee
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Marie
Clark WY
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2012 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile
Sounds so wonderful! If you're getting an RV, you might want to think about volunteering in state or national parks. I am the volunteer coordinator for a Florida state park and we have lots of folks who contribute 20 hours of service to the park in exchange for a FREE place to park their RV. It's a fun life!

--Marie--
Farmgirl Sister #1627
www.reereebee.etsy.com

“Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else” - J.M. BARRIE, Novelist

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  09:11:59 AM  Show Profile
We leave a week from today to see family and then leave to cross the sountry starting 4/1. I am SO excited but am having a hard tome "getting with the program" and packing and closing up the house. The preparations kill me and this Florida girl packing "layers" is pretty funny. I just want to get on the road. We are SSSSSSSSOOOO excited. It kinda hurts me that this time next month it will be over. We have been planning a trip to Arizona for 17 years. So happy that it is finally going to happen. Joey

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What to wear? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page