Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Whats your favorite coffee? I have always been a tea drinker but here the past couple of years I have gotten in to coffee. I have tried a few different brands from the grocery store but just not found the one I really like yet. Oh and do you store your coffee in the fridge or just in a tight container on the counter? Some one told me if I store my in the Fridge it would stay fresher longer. I have liked also experimenting with the different creamers.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Dorinda, I like seattles best, but coffee is a personal preference sort of thing. DO NOT put coffee in the fridge. If necessary, you can freeze for up to 3 months, it keeps it fresh without destroying the oils in the beans, I also prefer to grind mine just before making a pot. My DH bought me a coffee bean grinder (a hand one) at the auction last summer and I love it. Happy sipping
Barb
Go to Top of Page

Debra B
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Debra
Thaxton VA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:16:57 PM  Show Profile
My dh buys green coffee from Sweet Maria's that he roasts in what I call "Franken-roaster". He made it from an old toaster oven, a motor, gutter sheathing and other odds and ends. There is NOTHING like freshly roasted coffee. I miss it since we've given it up for Lent/frugal time. We're drinking Chock Full of Nuts now 'cause it's cheap. We keep our coffee tightly sealed in the cupboard. Joe recommends using a burr grinder instead of a chopper style grinder too.

Debra

Homeschooling mom to 6 beautiful blessings
Pastor Joe's wife
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  4:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I like most of Starbucks varieties, but use the Pike Place Roast and House Blend the most. We have a local roaster, Fahrenheit Roasters that has FABULOUS coffee so I get it too. They sell their coffee, brewed by the cup and in packages at our local Farmers Market season (June-October). We are also vendors there as well and enjoy it every Saturday. Last season we were just across the walkway from them . . how handy for me!!! I, too, like to grind my own beans. But I keep mine in closed up in the original package in the cupboard. I don't refrigerate and I don't freeze. I like my coffee strong, rich and "barefooted" (black), except I do like an occasional cappuccino. And I do like Hills Brothers instant English Toffee cappuccino mix . . . I've tasted some of their other flavors and just don't like them as well.
I do enjoy teas as well, but I'm more of a coffee drinker.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  5:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Dorinda,

If you can get fresh roasted coffee it is SO WORTH it! Coffee will go rancid pretty fast once it has been roasted. The containers you see at the grocery store are not the best choice. If you can't get fresh roasted the next best choice would be something in a bag with the valve to seal freshness. Most definitely use a Burr Grinder. We store ours tightly sealed in the cupboard

Debra B.,

My husband also gets his from Sweet Marias! He made his roaster from an old hot air popper, my hair dryer (?) and a piece of galvanized pipe. His roaster he calls the "The Bean Blaster 2000" :) Must be a guy thing (and a pastor thing :))

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  5:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I shall preface this with saying that I live in the Pacific Northwest, home of the coffee snobs! (Of which I'm probably one) So, I get my coffee fresh roasted from a place in town. They have cuppings (kind of like a wine tasting) once a month and I pick out my favorite from that. I don't store it in my fridge. I actually use a cookie jar that seals to store my coffee beans and then I grind fresh daily for the amount I need. Remember, I did say that I'm a bit of a coffee snob.

Oh and I like mine with a splash of hazelnut milk.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  5:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Here in SW Louisiana, we have Community coffee. We drink dark roast. I drink coffee only in the morning, mainly because we like it very strong.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Debra B
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Debra
Thaxton VA
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  01:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Sharon,

That is so funny! Joe used to use a hot air popper but then it broke and he couldn't find another one that got the beans hot enough. Even an old Westbend Poppery 2 didn't cut it. He also wanted something that would make more than one pot at a time. If he covets anything it's probably a commercial drum roaster. He's tried to get our oldest 2 children interested in starting a fresh coffee stand at the farmers market. Joe said he would come up with the initial capital if they would do the work. (He wants "his" roaster to pay for itself.)

Debra

Homeschooling mom to 6 beautiful blessings
Pastor Joe's wife
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  04:20:02 AM  Show Profile
We love to get the hazelnut decaf coffee from Jewel's bulk section. The flavor is delicious!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6606 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6606 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  04:36:30 AM  Show Profile
Another coffee lover here!! In addition to Starbuck's, Seattle's Best, and our local roasted coffee blends, I LOVE Peets!! Especially Peet's Major Dickinson. There is nothing like good quality coffee for a steaming hot cup at home or over ice in the summer! The past two years, I have experimented with blending my own flavored coffees. I take dark roast, regular roast, French Vanilla, and one more flavor like Amaretto, Cinnamon Spice,Caramel, and Cafe l'orange and create blends. Then, I send them out to my family members and friends for fun. Some of the names have been "Summertime Orange Creamsicle(my brother's favorite!) Easter Egg HUnt ( the one with Amaretto and a favorite of everyone)and this past Fall I made Pumpkin Patch using a bit of Dunkin Donuts Cinnamon Spice to my base blend-- Yum! For Christmas I used Starbuck's Caramel, Cinnamon Spice and my base blend for "Winter's Warmth". I also make fun decorative lables to go on the littel gift bags and tie with seasonal ribbons. It has been so much fun to do and the feedback from everyone is that my flavored blends are better because they are not so strong and overwhelming. It is just an excuse for me to get in the "Test Kitchen" and make coffee all afternoon as I create my new flavor!! Ha!!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  05:12:50 AM  Show Profile
I buy Cameron's Intense French and grind them daily. It is a local company, but you can find them on-line. My DH bought green coffee beans for our long term food storage. They are sealed in cans. He experimented with roasting them using a hot air popper and they were good. We also use a hand grinder and french press when we go camping. Nothing like fresh coffee in the great outdoors. When I buy coffee beans in bulk I store them in the freezer. I also love flavored creamers, but the commercial ones are not very good for you. I have been experimenting with real cream and flavored syrups.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile
We use a fair trade organic local roasted coffee called "Seven Hills" that I get through our local organic delivery service, Green Bean Delivery. I usually stick with their house or breakfast blend, but about every 2 weeks, the Highlander Grog is on sale and I will get that--at Christmas time they do very special flavored roasts and I buy up all that I can find! Cinnamon Graham Cracker is a favorite, as is Kentucky Bourbon and English Toffee.

Our coffee isn't around long enough to sit and get rancid. We usually go through a pound a week, and it's kept in my Grandmother's Kromex "coffee" cannister, up on the shelf with the rest.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  08:19:50 AM  Show Profile
Our local Meijer store has a bunch of organic free trade coffees from all over the world. Have to say my favorites come from Peru, Costa Rica and Rwanda. I'm sure that, just like wine, the soil affects the flavor of the beans. The Peruvian and Costa Rican are both just silky smooth. The Rwandan is also really smooth, but packs a bigger punch in the caffeine department.

Also, to support our local coffee shop (The Village Grind), at Christmas time I buy Green Mountain Eggnog and in the summer I get Green Mountain Coconut. Green Mountain is fair traded, and this way, I can save a buck by brewing at home but still help a local merchant.

I store mine in the freezer because I buy mine already ground, and I like to sprinkle cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice on the grounds of plain coffee before I brew up a pot in my coffee maker.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  09:39:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dorinda In our home we are big time coffee drinkers. When I have a little extra money I buy DD coffee lol. But my DD bought me the Keurig machine that has the pods. I don't use the pods but I purchased the K-cup to use my coffee instead. I buy medium roasts blend and I don't keep it in the frig (it doesn't last long enough to do that lol). Some brands from supermarkets are great. Like 5 o'clock blend...Or I go to Stewards and purchase their own coffee beans they roast and come home and grind it myself. I can go on and on and on but I'll stop. lol. Enjoy

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I learned a lot about coffee from this thread. I am not a big coffee drinker, but I do like a cup, now and then. I'm very picky about it, too. I love cappucinos, too. My favorite coffee, ever, was from a local coffee shop in Rogers, Arkansas. (I lived about 20 miles away from there at one time.) It was called Poor Richard's, and their House Blend was the best coffee I've ever had.

I am still searching for a good, mild coffee, but haven't found it yet. Not much offered here in SE Arkansas, except what is carried in the grocery store.

~Jennifer~
Farmgirl #3803

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile
I love New England Coffee I am a big flavor person and they make a great preground coffee. I am always a fan of Dunkin Doughnuts, french vanilla or hazelnut coffee. Having a bean grinder can make all the difference too. Another thing to consider would be a coffee press, it makes a REALLY bold cup of coffee.

Give me enough coffee and I could rule the world!

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  03:15:39 AM  Show Profile
When you live in the middle of the country (Arkansas is home for me too) I think one of the best coffees you can buy is Eight O'Clock Coffee in the bean form. Their packaging seems to keep the bean fresh and when you grind just enough for your morning pot. Great stuff. Enjoy!

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  04:12:36 AM  Show Profile
Our favorite is the organic brand found at Sam's Club (whole bean, then we grind it).

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow every one loves their coffee. I did not think about the whole bean thing. I will have to get me a grinder. Kristina I like going to Sam's Club. Just went there this week end. I will have to give their's a try. So many different and creative ways to enjoy a cup of coffee. Who Knew!!!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  06:45:01 AM  Show Profile
N@n, I have never thought about buying the beans and grinding them myself. I may have to get a grinder, and that will be another adventure for me. I won't know where to start and what would be a good deal. In what part of Arkansas is Hackett?

~Jennifer~
Farmgirl #3803

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, one of my favorite things, coffee! Back home there was a store called the "Coffee Bean Connection" that sold house-roasted beans; I always liked to get the Chocolate Fudge and Caramel Kiss, then put them together in my French press to make a yummy cafe au lait. Hm, I wonder if they sell online, now that I think of it?

Since I've moved, I usually drink whatever I can find! I am, however, very fond of Amway's "Nine to Five" blend (surprisingly good, mellow flavor with a faintly fruity undertone). I can't drink black coffee because it upsets my stomach, so I usually make a sweetened cafe au lait with chocolate milk.

Ric likes vanilla or pumpkin spice blends "black as midnight on a moonless night." We both will drink a Hills Brothers instant cappuccino now and then, though!

Also, I HAVE to second Emily's suggestion of a coffee press/French press. Mine was one of the best presents I've ever gotten!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Naked on a Mountain Top
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Seana
Durango CO
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  07:27:06 AM  Show Profile
Since everyone seemed to reply with brand names, perhaps some coffee education will help as well.

SO here's some coffee 411:

*Use whole beans & grind right before brewing for the best flavor
*Beware of a blade grinder (looks like a blender inside) which can heat up while spinning and cutting the beans not grinding giving a burnt flavor - instead use a burr grinder (gears inside) which crushs the beans. Also using the grinder at your local supermarket is a No-No, people put regular and flavored coffee through them and they don't get cleaned regularly so the oils build up and now you just bought a little flavor of everyone before you.
*Speaking of oils, they do go rancid. Don't freeze, it will get stale. Simply buy what you can use with in a week of opening the package, keeping it airtight on your counter away from heat and light and replace when your out. Stock piling coffee will only leave you with nasty stuff in the end.
*The darker the roast the "sweeter" the flavor (espresso had a carmelly essence) because the longer the bean roasts more acid is burned off and the natural sugars start to carmelize - that's why lighter roasts tend to bother some peoples stomache more.
*Also regions of the world lend a hand in flavor, Central America tends to be more acidic floral & fruity, while Indonsia /Asia has an earthiness to its body.
*Brewing methods can make or break even the most expensive coffee - The longer the grounds are in contact with the water the more flavor is extracted - Hence why you need a finer grind for a "Mr. Coffee" machine which just lets the water run through verses a percolator in which the water recycles multiple times over coarser grinds. Longer is not always better! As you probably experienced with your tea, you can over extract and get a bitter taste. (We use a French press - one of the purest brewing methods - once you press you won't go back!)
*Flavored coffees are usually second rate beans where flavor has been added to make them "sellable".

Coffee is very complex - It's A LOT like wine. You can buy cheap or expensive, but taste taste taste! Everyone has their favorite, but once you find a good one you will know.

I hope this helps, Good Luck in your new coffee adventures!!

www.durangodream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amy_Beth
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

AmyBeth
Paradise CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  09:29:45 AM  Show Profile
I like lots of our local coffees. I get them from the local co-op. I love the post right before mine...excellent tips! Thanks! :)

Farmgirl Sister #3936
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  6:19:45 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is New Mexico Pinon Coffee! I love the almost chocolate flavor it has! YUM! I order it online...I am truly addicted to this brand of coffee!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2012 :  8:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Margaret,
It's been a while but we were able to get some Pinon coffee as well . . . and, yes, it is very tasty! Have to get more!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  08:06:30 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jennifer, Hackett is on the Oklahoma border about 15 miles south of Fort Smith. And actually we are another four or five miles south of Hackett. I had never heard of the town you are from either. Small world isn't it. I have a Cuisinart grinder that is electric and my dh also got me a hand powered grinder for when the power goes out so we won't have to do without our much loved coffee in the dark! Good luck on your coffee adventure..
Hugs to you, N@n

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Coffee? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page