Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Hi!! I just joined from Long Island
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi!! I just joined from Long Island Next Topic  

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  2:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi! My name is Sheryl-lyn Walz and I am from a farming community on Long Island. I teach 7th and 8th grade English in the tiny school I went to as a child. I raise chickens, quilt every day (even if it's only 15 minutes), cook (a lot!!) and love to read. Both of my children are in college now, so it's just me and my fabulous husband now for the most part. Our daughter lives at home while she goes to college, but next year she will be attending UConn. I am so excited to be a part of this and look forward to talking with you all a lot. I love teaching, but love the land and animals more than anything. Someday we will get off the grid and make a go of it on a bigger piece of land. Maybe our kids will want to come along (our son will for sure!). I love the fall and look forward to the woodstove and apples that we use for applesauce and pies! Oh, I am a huge lover of redwork in quilting and home decor. We live in an old farmhouse that we have left as close to original as possible. I grew up on "The Waltons" and made a pledge to myself that this is the life I would lead when I grew up. We're pretty close!

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  2:40:47 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn - you are one of us totally! I look forward to getting to know you and love that you quilt (even if it is 15 minutes a day). Those minutes mount up and before you know it, a work of art and warmth is born. Welcome!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  2:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the group. It sounds like you will fit right in.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  2:50:22 PM  Show Profile
Welcome new farmgirl sister!! How wonderful that you are living your dream. Glad you found us!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  3:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Welcome!! I am so glad you found us! This is such a wonderful place and I hope you enjoy it even half as much as I do! Just jump right in, and make yourself at home. You will find tons of advice, support, and fun but more importantly, friendship! I look forward to getting to know you better as I see you around!
Hugz,
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  3:16:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the family! You sure sound interesting. I love that you quilt every day too. I have found that even a little bit each day gets the project done, right?? It is sure going to be fun to get to know you here!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  4:33:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello!

I think you'll love it here! I'm a teacher too (7th grade science), and I completely understood when you said "I love teaching, but love the land and animals more than anything". Me too!!! While I love going back to school in the fall (my students start Wednesday), a part of me always regrets that I won't have as much time to spend in the garden, cooking, canning, etc.

So, a big WELCOME!
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  5:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheryl-Lyn and welcome to the group,
You'll love it here - you share interests with quite a few girls. I love redwork and quilting too. Have you seen the photos of the chapter quilts - they are all redwork blocks - gorgeous!
Best wishes and look forward to chatting,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  6:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for welcoming me to the forum. I typically do not even try to work around chat rooms or postings anywhere. This just felt right to me. I just took a peek at the chapter quilt. WOW!! Someday soon I will do one of my own. My cousin Krissy said I should make my kitchen curtains using redwork as a main panel for each window. The next day I went out to buy the buttercream fabric to use for it. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again for being so positive and friendly!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  04:26:22 AM  Show Profile
I love your 'if only for 15 minutes' approach -- too often I think I need an entire evening to devote to a craft . . . but once a project is started, it can be done in little snippets of time. You've inspired me! Welcome in here. So good to have another kindred soul.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  09:18:22 AM  Show Profile
Greetings, Sheryl-Lyn. My middle name is spelled like your name (Sheryl) and I don't think I have ever seen it spelled that way before. Can't wait til your curtains are finished and you post a photo of your handiwork. I just knitted for 20 minutes, then repotted two plants, took the clothes in off the line, and decided to log on. I'm right there with ya, farmgal pal! Everybody is right, a little at a time gets it done! These are great gals to get to know, welcome and enjoy yourself! Nance
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Well, tomorrow I am back to full-time teaching! I am sooo sad to leave my home, family and animals for the year. Fortunately, I have friends who will do quilting, cooking and canning with me during the fall and winter months, so that sense of community is always a happy thought.

Nance--I took my daughter to Spain and France when she was turning 16 (WOW...already 3 years ago). It was a life changer for her and for us as a mother-daughter team. I still dream of France a lot and long for the day that I can make a return trip. I tried to miss the return flight on the day we were leaving, but here I am in a lovely location just the same. Sounds like you get a lot done in a day too. All of us seem to be great at that. I looked forward to getting home today just so I could see what was going on here at MJF land!

Again...thank you to all of you for your happy thoughts. Now, how will I know if someone talks to me in another forum? I wrote to someone in the stitching one and I don't know how to see if there was a response to it. Do I just go back there? Someone else wrote to me and I got an email about it, but I could not find her message. I feel like a dorkfish when it comes to this chat room stuff. I'll get it though! <3
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  9:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
hi sheryl-lyn, and welcome from north texas!
i think you will love being here and i also cant wait to check on this site every day.
when i first started using this site, i felt like the biggest computer klutz, and i'm still learning but all the farmgirls are really great at helping you learn and encouraging.
when i want to know if someone has responded to a post i just subscribe to that topic.
then you will get an email alerting you that there has been another post.
hope that makes sense and hope we get to see some of your redwork, the curtains sound great. i have never done redwork or really embroidery, except silk ribbon and i think the redwork is charming.
welcomeand
love,
fran

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  9:47:01 PM  Show Profile
welcome aboard! you are gonna love it here. lots of advice and fun times.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  8:17:41 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn - WELCOME!!! You really will enjoy it here - I know that the first few times I tried posting things, I felt very much like a "dorkfish" too!!! Don't worry a bit - it'll come easy to you in a very short time... Glad to have you here! I hope school is going well....

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile
School is going very well! I had most of my students last year when they were in 7th grade, so we were able to get right to work without having to do all the introduction stuff and the rules, etc. That is nice.

I miss my house, family, chickens, river, dogs, etc. when I first go back though. I stare out my window sometimes and dream of home. I go outside at lunchtime whenever I can. Sometimes other teachers and some kids come out with me. It is hard to be an outside girl in an inside job. Thanks for asking about school, Libbie! It is a great job with a good payoff later when the kids come back to tell me how much I taught them about life and literature. :)
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2006 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile
I SO value my education in literature and composition - they go hand-in-hand with a solid "real-life" education, in my opinion. What lucky students you have! I remember reading the "Catcher in the Rye" in 8th grade, and from then on through college, I was in "love" with Holden Caulfield....ah, the blindness of youth!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi!! I just joined from Long Island Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page