Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  7:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Has any of you girls ever heard of Bells Palsy? My husband came down with it on the right side of his face 8 years ago. Now it has come back on the left side of his face this time. It never really cleared up all the way on his right side the first time. Anyways he is miserable. Of course the doctors say there is no cure for it just steroids that has not helped. And antiviral drug that has not worked also. He started seeing an accupuncture. He has had about 9 treatments and it has
not helped either. He started massage therapy this week . We are keeping our fingers crossed that it will help. He is so upset at the way his face is looking. Of course no muscles are working on his face so he cannot smile or kiss me. He is really having a tough time with it. I tell him all the time it is okay I will always love him. We have been married for 33 years. He has this crazy notion that for some reason I would pack up and leave him. I would never do that I told him I married him because I loved him not for what he looked like. I love his heart and soul. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I also have him taking lots of vitamins......B12, B6 the whole shabang....

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  06:50:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dorinda -

I have had Bells Palsy twice, both times on the same side of my face. It took a number of months before it cleared up each time, and eve now when I am very tired there is a slight drooping on that side of my face. Give your hubby my best and tell him that it will most likely get better in time. If it doesn't he is so lucky to have someone like you who is so supportive. Keep reminding him that you love him for what is "inside", not the outside appearance!

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  07:23:11 AM  Show Profile
Dorinda,

Your doctor may have done this already...but has your hubby had a blood test for lyme? Bells Palsy can be a side-effect of advanced lyme disease.

Hope he feels better.

Hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  07:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Has your DH had an MRI? My DH came back from his first deployment in Iraq and his left side of his face was droopy and his speach was slighlty impaired. The doctor said it was Bell's Palsey. A couple of weeks later when the symptoms did not clear up they did an MRI and found some abnormal spots in his brain. The spots have been shrinking and he is OK now, but it was pretty scary for awhile. Maybe your DH should see a neurologist just to be sure.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  07:51:36 AM  Show Profile
My hubby had it about 8 years ago, they put him n a hospital and did all kinds of test. They could not find a cause in the brain or blood. They said sometimes they see this with stress and as in my hubbys case, 4 heart attacks and 2 strokes. He still smiles lopsided, and when he is tired it really shows. I knew a lady a few years ago, that had lyme disease and the bells palsy thing came on her. She is better now, just suffers from the aftermath of lyme disease, which can be very bad. Hope your hubby gets better. We have been married 44 years in May. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  5:58:20 PM  Show Profile
My son had bells palsy when he was in high school. It never happened again. But he handled it well, continued going to school and just would not let it bother him. The doctors told me it was related to stress.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Bells Palsy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page