GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:31:05 AM  Show Profile
This one takes a bit of backstory: the Mister almost died in an accident a couple of years ago and is still dealing with the side effects (he had to have another operation last week, he has panic attacks and flashbacks, he has some nerve damage...).

To top it off, he led a very hard-partying lifestyle for many years. He's cleaned up his act now, but he still doesn't take care of himself as well as he could (I have the worst trouble getting him to eat properly, yikes).

Anyway, he's had nasty panic attacks the past few weeks--and every time, he ends up knocked completely flat the next few days. He actually gets fevers and aching joints. He also catches every little bug that goes around.

My question is, does anyone have suggestions that might bolster his immune system? We are getting him a supplement from my organic vitamin business next week (mostly vitamin C but with some backup), but I wondered if you gals could think of anything else?

Oh, and he is on medication for his panic attacks--but he refuses to seek other medical help. *sigh*

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Vitamin D - so many people are deficient in vitamin D & it's such a great health booster! I've been taking some Usana vitamins as they are in the Top 3 of the "best" vitamins, and I take an anti-oxidant, multi-mineral, Omega fish oil, calcium, visionex (eye health), vitamin c & vitamin D. I need to up my vitamin D to 4 pills a day instead of 2, but I'm happy to report that this year I have not had a single ear infection or throat infection/sore throat, cough, cold - nothing! I've had a few upset tummies, but nothing major.

I'm sure someone else will come on who knows better than I do about some other stuff that you could be giving him and/or taking.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile
My DH has something similar years ago. How is your husbands sleep at night? That was one key thing with my DH, we started him on some melatonin to get to sleep and it did curb the panic attacks some. We also got him on an antidepressant to help with the negative thoughts about his PTSS. It seemed at the time our lifestyle changed due to his problems and we needed to get back to a regular rhythm of breakfast lunch and dinner at the usual times. We had a newborn at the time and it helped the baby too. Good eating, some c and b vitamins lots of liquids to pass all the bad stuff thru his body and some fresh air too. Good luck it may be tough but in the long run it will help your marriage if you work with him to succeed.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Pam! The rest are already on the shopping list (even a lutein supplement for his eyes ), but I honestly never thought of vitamin D. Duh! *facepalm* I sell a really good D supplement too, sheesh.

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:30:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Judy. His sleep has been *horrible* lately. The last couple of nights, in fact, he's gotten up and gone in the den so he wouldn't keep me awake with his tossing and turning.

He hasn't been so depressed since he started on his medication, but the melatonin is a good idea. I'd been looking at a valerian supplement to help him sleep; have you tried that?

Liquids aren't a problem; he always has two or three beverages at a time! He does take a B-complex as well, which seems to help. We're also planning to start him on a milk thistle extract to help him detoxify. I do wish I could get him on a regular schedule. He's been unable to do steady work since the accident, so his schedule is pretty much whatever he feels like.

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried using sam-e? It is awesome. Valerian works very well for sleep, just be careful in using it with anti-depressants. Definitely support the liver (milk thistle is excellent), vitamin d. Has he used anything to support the adrenals and thyroid? I would also try a really good homeopathic for distress that can be used as needed. Magnesium may also prove to be helpful for the aches/pains--you'd be amazed at the number of people who are deficient! You might find help with the immune system with probiotics, colostrum, elderberry, anamu, astragalus are all excellent immune supporters.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  4:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Elderberry juice is good for strengthening the immune system and skullcap can help ward off the panic attacks. (I swear by them).
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  11:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Watch using SamE and valarien root with antidepressants, there could be interactions. My DH also had problems working after his PTSS, but since he cooked better than I do it worked out well. As far as what he drinks, make it water or something else natural, not soda or beer.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  05:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Have you ever tried a product called Rescue Remedy? I have heard really good things about it. Also if he is drinking that many fluids could he be diabetic?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  06:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Rescue Remedy and Valerian both work great! Good luck Alyce - it's scary when your body starts to do things you don't understand - seems like it is usually a cry for attention for something though, which requires introspections. I've had some physical reactions to things that I only understood with hindsight.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rksmith

Have you tried using sam-e? It is awesome. Valerian works very well for sleep, just be careful in using it with anti-depressants. Definitely support the liver (milk thistle is excellent), vitamin d. Has he used anything to support the adrenals and thyroid? I would also try a really good homeopathic for distress that can be used as needed. Magnesium may also prove to be helpful for the aches/pains--you'd be amazed at the number of people who are deficient! You might find help with the immune system with probiotics, colostrum, elderberry, anamu, astragalus are all excellent immune supporters.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

I have been trying to get him on probiotics; no luck so far, but still trying! I have been wondering about elderberry extract as well, and I didn't know that about valerian.

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:29:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk

Elderberry juice is good for strengthening the immune system and skullcap can help ward off the panic attacks. (I swear by them).
Cindy

Skullcap? Really?? Do tell....

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:30:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Farmer Judy

Watch using SamE and valarien root with antidepressants, there could be interactions. My DH also had problems working after his PTSS, but since he cooked better than I do it worked out well. As far as what he drinks, make it water or something else natural, not soda or beer.

Okay, that's two warnings about valerian and antidepressants--yikes, thanks. He drinks a lot of water and a lot of tea.

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:32:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Have you ever tried a product called Rescue Remedy? I have heard really good things about it. Also if he is drinking that many fluids could he be diabetic?

Have heard of it but have not tried it. We had him tested and his blood sugar came back normal. I suspect he may have a salt/some other kind of imbalance, but don't know what to do.

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graciegreeneyes

Rescue Remedy and Valerian both work great! Good luck Alyce - it's scary when your body starts to do things you don't understand - seems like it is usually a cry for attention for something though, which requires introspections. I've had some physical reactions to things that I only understood with hindsight.
Amy Grace

Thanks--it IS scary for both of us. To make matters worse, we ordered take out last night (a rare treat since today's our anniversary)--and they put chicken in his order instead of tofu. Ah, the Mister has an enzymatic deficiency and can't digest either red meat or poultry. *sigh* Yeah, not such a good night!

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  3:49:29 PM  Show Profile
For his digestion try pancrease, it is a digestive ensyme you can get at the health food store. It helped me when I first lost part of my pancreas and needed help disgesting.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  5:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to add...being on antidepressants seriously robs the body of C0Q10 and B2 which are both VERY important for helping with depression. Selenium and niacin may also be helpful.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile
In addition to all the supplements recommended have you also thought about his diet? Just wondering because soda and processed foods rob our bodies even more so if he is eating highly processed foods then the supplements might just even it out... Another thing to look into is maybe he has gluten sensitivity? Some people who have celiac disease actually have all those symptoms you listed but because they don't display the normal signs of celiac disease it's not caught until the body is extremely worn down. You could always go gluten free for a week or two then eat gluten foods and see what happens. Just a thought :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:52:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Farmer Judy

For his digestion try pancrease, it is a digestive ensyme you can get at the health food store. It helped me when I first lost part of my pancreas and needed help disgesting.

Um, ow? I hope you're doing better! I have heard of that one, so I'll check into it. Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  06:56:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rksmith

Forgot to add...being on antidepressants seriously robs the body of C0Q10 and B2 which are both VERY important for helping with depression. Selenium and niacin may also be helpful.

That, I did not know! Thank you! He takes a B-Complex, but will have to add the rest.

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  07:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Krystal, he hates soda and I try to keep processed foods out of our diet as much as possible. The biggest offender is pasta: he loves "normal" pasta made from processed flour and gunk. I can't get him to stop. Are there gluten-free pastas?

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  5:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried juicing?

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  08:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Not yet Rachel; I would like to try it but am not sure he will agree!

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  08:29:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alyce, I don't think that fever and achy joints are symptoms of anxiety or panic attacks. however, fevers, achy joints and panic attacks can be symptoms of things like Lyme disease. I know you said you have difficulty getting him to go to the doc. but I was wondering if he has been tested for Lyme?
Happy Anniversary a bit late. so sorry his celebratory supper was ruined. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Phyllis, I agree; I suffered from panic attacks for several years and had neither of those symptoms. He is clear on the Lyme disease front thank goodness, but the more I think about it--his mother suffers from severe arthritis, and I wonder if he is starting to develop it.

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  11:00:14 AM  Show Profile
I thought there was gluten free pasta but I'm not sure, I'm just getting into gluten free stuff just for the health benefits of limited/zero gluten in our diets. If I find out I will let you know unless another farmgirl happens to know off hand:)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Wiped out immune system Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page