Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Yet another version of homemade laundry soap?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Yet another version of homemade laundry soap? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Linda. That's what I've been using, too. Maybe someday I'll have a food processor to make this periodic task easier and quicker, but meanwhile I can pretend I'm workin' on my Michele Obama arms :)

Your manners will define you wherever you go. Never forget it.
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2012 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile
Yes my name is Kim!

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2012 :  6:56:08 PM  Show Profile
I use the same recipe as Nancy and really like it. I grate the Fels Naptha on a hand-held grater. I also melt my soap in some of the hot water--in the microwace. Works great! I am going to try that softener recipe. By the way, I pour my liquid detergent in an old laundry soap bottle and use the cap to measure the home-made detergent.

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  8:09:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

Saw lots of questions about what grater to use. I use a microplane grater. It grates the soap quickly and the soap is like powder (as long as the soap is fairly dry). Then I toss the grater into the dishwasher. I figure any soap left on the grater will help wash the dishes!!LOL! Happy washing!

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2012 :  08:17:00 AM  Show Profile
I have a soap question...
can you use the homemade soap in the front load washing machines?

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  11:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Mara, I wear leather (or regular) gardening gloves when I grate my bars of Fels. Use the very fine side of the grater. I know what you mean about the soap being soft. But I can still grate it - I use a kitchen knife to get out the stuck stuff in betweek the grating holes. The gloves tho work wonders.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  12:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Good idea, Annie. I'll have to get an old box grater. I always used to have one -- don't know why I ever got rid of it. The plain rectangular ones have only the one choice. I'ce also had a look at cheapie food processors at Evil Wal-Rat and wonder if they might be worth it just for projects like this. Would probably break on the first go. *sigh*
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  12:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey guys, take the soap out of its wrapper & let it dry for a day or 2. Grinds a lot easier.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  1:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, we have hideous humidity here in rural Virginia, and my laundry room is a former porch, poorly insulated by former occupants who did slipshod work that I've not yet been able to redo. Nothing ever dries out! I've tried. The best I did was create a bar of Fels that I leave open and use just for stain treatment (works great, by the way).
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  09:52:55 AM  Show Profile
I made my first batch, here's a link, with pics-

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/2012/07/more-canning-1st-jam-attempt-homemade.html

Be the change...

http://littlehomesteadinboise.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Asylum Farm
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Shel
Juneau WI
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  07:44:25 AM  Show Profile
I use Fels, Borax and washing soda as a dry mix. You only need to use a very small amount of it to get clothes clean. Right before washing I add a couple drops of Aura Cacia Medievil Mix essential oil. Then a vinegar rinse. Much cheaper in the long run and the clothes smell great.

Shel

Asylum Farm Sheep & Poultry

www.asylumfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  01:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing all your ideas. IT is very helpful to read them.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  04:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I made my first homemade laundry soap in a used detergent bottle. This morning it is fairly solid. Even with shaking, only a little of the soap would pour out. What did I do wrong? On the plus side, what I spilled while pouring shined up my old stainless steel sink very nicely.
Thanks for the advice.
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  10:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
i may have missed this in reading through here, but is there a homemade dish soap that anyone has tried?

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

jollyquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

WV
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  12:23:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jenne.f

Yesterday I made my first homemade laundry soap in a used detergent bottle. This morning it is fairly solid. Even with shaking, only a little of the soap would pour out. What did I do wrong? On the plus side, what I spilled while pouring shined up my old stainless steel sink very nicely.
Thanks for the advice.
Jenne

I might have missed this but do I understand that you mixed it and placed in "one" detergent bottle? If this is the case then I would say you need to add much more water to it. My recipe makes 10 gallon at one time. I only add water to make 5 gallons and then use half the amount in the load.

www.StuffByKim.etsy.com
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile
Made my first batch of the liquid version laundry soap this past spring. It's just myself and my daughter sharing an apt so we still have a large container left even!
Cost about $5-$6 for the batch and it's lasted months on end. Very pleased and will never go back to stir bought again!

Next batch I think I will add a drop of essential oil for fragrance tho.....maybe lavender?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Yet another version of homemade laundry soap? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page