Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile
I remember reading that clorox was bad to use (not only) if you have a septic system, I'm wondering if there are other cleaners that are also other cleaners that are bad to use?

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  2:52:14 PM  Show Profile
I understand that when you have a septic system clorox kills bacteria. and for a septic system , as in a septic tank you need bacteria to break down the waste material, so if there is to much cloxox or like substance you will be killing the bacteria that breaks down the waste products.
Go to Top of Page

zilzirk
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Liz
Fort Mill South Carolina
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  6:59:22 PM  Show Profile
I am new to septic tanks and I had read alot to try to find out how to handle 'em. I did read that oil is bad as it can clog the systme or your leach field. and don't flush anything like plastic wrap and condoms or plastic bags etc. Those will definately clog the system. We try and use only biodegradable cleaners like 7th Generation brand. I figure, if I don't want to pour it in my yard, I don't want to use it in the house - cause the yard is eventually were it will end up!

a city girl with farm roots
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile
I know that you do not want to use anything like powdered detergents or pour grease of any kind down the drain.

We learned this a few days after buying our house..the previous owners had done this in the drains and it created a "rock" like substance that well..just put it this way..everything wanted to back up in the house 2 days after we purchased the house and had the water/toilets running.

Luckily we had a friend that knew some folks that had a high powered machinery that blew out the drain pipe. There was this big white rock looking thing left on the ground that was as hard as concrete..I asked what it could possibly be and he said..powdered detergent and grease does that..and informed me that I never want to put that in my washing machine, or down the drain.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  06:15:04 AM  Show Profile
You also don't want to wash lots of sheep fleeces and let lots of lanolin & the rest of the gunk that comes out of the first wash of a sheep fleece go down your drain with a septic system. Ask me how I know.......(although our septic was 30 years old & probably on it's last leg anyway!)
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  5:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Tina - I didn't know that about powdered detergent - I'll have to switch entirely immediately! What type of liquid detergent/soap do you use? I use Dr. Bronner's SalSuds in the laundry most of the time, but I revert to powdered detergent when I have a really crazy-dirty load (usually around sheep shearing/lambing time - yuck).

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  9:46:09 PM  Show Profile
I use whatever is on sale mostly..ha.
Seriosly though..I use brands like Purex, Arm and Hammer, things like that.I try to check out the ones that are on sale mostly though.
Haven't had any problems here at all in the 6 yrs we have been in the house and had to do that major clean out I mentioned.
I've never used Bronner's before. I have never seen that kind.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  09:48:47 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, where do you get your Dr Bronners? A good detergent that I like (liquid) is the Method brand. Actually I love their whole line. They are environmentally friendly and pretty easy to find (Target carries them and some of the grocery stores around us have started to carry some of their products). The mint and eucalyptus bathroom cleaner is really nice! Here is their website for more info:

http://www.methodhome.com/

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I just get all of my Dr. Bronner's soaps at the local health food store - I DO know that you can order online at: [http://www.drbronner.com/index.html] . The Dr. Bronners soaps are sort of expensive (in my opinion), but they really do last a long time. I usually buy the gallon size - it's a better deal and I know that eventually, I'll use it all!

I'll check out the Method website, too. Thanks for the link!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  3:46:59 PM  Show Profile
It is a little more expensive, but I think in the end it would save money. Especially if you are buying several different cleaners, they add up quickly!

Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  08:04:30 AM  Show Profile
I wanted to reply to this before, but was waiting for MJF new magazine to come out. In the home safe home section read about my Laundry Pure machine. Carol told me that my article would be in there, but I couldn't believe I would ever be in that wonderful magazine so I had to see it to believe it. Read about it and look at all the info on the website. You really do laundry without detergent, bleach or softeners. I am so happy with this and it is great for septic systems.

Betty

P.S. in case you don't have your magazine yet, the website is www.ecoquest.com/eco-health go there and click on water treatment and then click on laundry pure

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  4:09:54 PM  Show Profile
I dont know if any of you know this but I was told that to keep "good" bacteria in your septic system to flush some dog food down the toilette. My MIL does this all the time, works for her.

lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  1:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Here's an idea that still has my mom shaking her head...don't use laundry soap. I don't. I bought me a set of T-Wave Seismic Cleaning Capsules for about $40 a year and a half ago and I love them. Our clothes do come clean (I add a bit of vinegar to smelly loads) and I have saved a TON of money and it doesn't harm the septic system. Also, my girls have not had heat rash since we switched over (I think their sweat was causing an allergic type reaction to the detergent still in the fabric). The capsules can be pruchased at www.urbanhomemaker.com

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the useful info, Trina. I signed up for their email newsletter and also their catalog. I'll be checking out their website.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  3:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Glad I could help, Janice. I just love the products offered by that company!

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  6:31:38 PM  Show Profile
The best natural product, I think for septic tanks is good old VINEGAR. works like a charm and doesnt hurt anything. It doesnt pollute the earth and its cheap.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic clorox and septic system Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page