debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  1:06:33 PM  Show Profile
thought this would be helpful to all of us ...

Watch for made in USA, and distributed in USA, some are made somewhere else but distributed in USA.

This probably sounds crazy, but just yesterday I was in Wal-Mart looking for a wastebasket. I found some made in China for $6.99. I didn't want to pay that much so I asked the Lady if they had any others. She took me to another department and they had some at 2.50 made in USA . They are just as good. Same as a kitchen rug I needed. I had to look, but I found some Made in the USA and they were 3.00 cheaper. We are being brain washed that everything that comes from China and Mexico
Is cheaper. Not so. That is also why I don't buy cards at Hallmark Anymore. They are made in China and are expensive. I buy them at Dollar Tree....50 cents each and made in USA

Check this out. I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose attachments... They were all made in China .

The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in USA Start looking .. . ..

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job. So, after reading this email, I think this lady is on the right track.. Let's get behind her!

like Hershey's candy? I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more.

My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ... You have to read the labels on everything....

This past weekend I needed 60W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets.

I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats they were the same except for the price . . .
The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the USA in a company in Cleveland , Ohio .

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here...
So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets... Yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada ... The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA ! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years and at almost half the price!

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

Let's get with the program and help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the USA.

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Jan 31 2012 1:10:03 PM

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile
One thing that is I learned recently is all our fabric is made else where. The lady that runs a quilt shop I go to says she cannot get fabric made in the USA. So I am on the look out for some.
We always but the Made in the USA items and they rarely cost more than the imports! Found some dog rawhides made in China a few weeks agp, NO WAY would I feed those to my dogs.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Carol - you might want to do a little research about the fabric. If you google "Fabric made in USA" - I think you might find some options. I'm with you about the dog rawhides - I heard about dogs getting sick on the chewbones made in China.

One disturbing thing I heard recently was about the horrific conditions of the factories in China where Apple products are made - ipads and iphones. And everyone keeps buying them.... Very sad.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile
those dog bones from china are toxic my sister dog ended up at the vets with a parasite from them???
and all these imports from place like china treat there employees more like slaves the working conditions are horrific and pay them basically nothing this is not fair trade..its so sad ..I do not want to deny anyone a living but those MISFORTUNE 500 company need to wake up..the more of us that are out of work we are the ones who made their companies grow by buying there products. which we can no longer afford.
big company like KRAFT AND PROCTOR AND GAMBLE LAID OFF OVER 5000 EMPLOYEES THIS MONTH who do they think buy there products????? and they also have there stuff made in third world countries!!!!

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  5:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Every time I read stuff like this. I get more concerned. I do look first for the made in USA.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  6:30:04 PM  Show Profile
What angers me is that companys go on and on about ORGANIC and ALL NATURAL, then find out its being made in a foreign country and sold here as if we would not notice, either you are USA or you are not, can't have it both ways...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  7:26:17 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I would stick this here since Valentine's is coming up. About 80% of the roses sold in the USA this year are from places like Colombia. I tried to post a link here, but fr some reason it didn't work. Try Googling where Valentine's Day roses come from. You'll think twice before mentioning flowers to hubby this year!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Jan 31 2012 7:39:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  06:57:43 AM  Show Profile
its unbeleivable that so many everyday things are outsourced
like customer service ..you call a company to complain or get help and get someone that
barely speaks english...especially tech support???
these companies do these so they don't have to pay taxes. and of course they don't pay these people very much..like that credit company advertisement with the guy named peggy?????really not that funny since its close to the truth.
I am so glad to see many of us outraged by this, and saddened.

jersey farmgirl

Edited by - debtea2 on Feb 01 2012 12:31:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  2:53:52 PM  Show Profile
I do look for Made in USA on clothes but never thought about lightbulbs and fabric softener. I will be on the look out from here on in. Thanks for the info. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  4:11:40 PM  Show Profile
did you know ipads and iphones are made in china and they pay the workers $17.00 per day
not an hour?

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile
Natalie and I will be watching more closely to the labels- thank you for making me aware!
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  12:21:28 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie - I heard a very disturbing news story on NPR about flowers (mostly roses) from S. American countries and how bad the working conditions are for so many reasons - long hours, low pay, etc. But then they have little or no regulations on the use of herbicides/pesticides and the workers (who are mainly women) are having horrible health issues. I can't remember the last time I got flowers, but I'm fine with that...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  4:18:03 PM  Show Profile
lorraine
i heard about the flowers too
this is so sad..

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2012 :  4:45:22 PM  Show Profile
My husband got laid off last year. And he cant find work it is sad there is no jobs. And where i live people dont want to hire Americans.I think we need to take a stand buy American and work Americans and lets get the USA back on track. God Bless the USA.....
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  07:44:03 AM  Show Profile
lesles
prayers for you and your husband I too was laid off
with 1000 other employees and its greed that cause
the laid off..because the compnay i worked for
makes 100s of billions and spent billions just on advertising
the also will be moving the operations to a third world country
so they do not have pay descent wages or taxes?
I say what goes around comes around and these companies
will reap what they sow soon ..as the people who buy
there products can longer afford them..

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Muleskinner
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Melissa
Temple Georgia
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  3:00:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by debtea2

That is also why I don't buy cards at Hallmark Anymore. They are made in China and are expensive. I buy them at Dollar Tree....50 cents each and made in USA

I picked up a Hallmark card the other day and it was Made in the USA.

I've needing new jeans since I lost weight and all the popular brands are made in China, so I got online and looked...
Made in Asheboro, NC - http://www.texasjeansusa.com/usa.html

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/

And also this site that list products Made in USA.

http://americansworking.com/index.html

*~*~*~Melissa~*~*~

Nothing better for the inside of a man, than the outside of a horse. -W.Churchill
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2012 :  7:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Hubby & I were watching a show "Shark Tank" the other night,,, and on it was a guy who designed a "gutiar Chord assister" for beginning gutarists... and when the 'Sharks' asked the guy what was the cost to produce the guy replied it was $7...and one of the 'investors aka Sharks' said why don't you outsource it...meaning having it manufactured in Mexico... the guy said 'because we have to many people in our own country that need jobs' and that he believed it was the right thing to do,,,especially in todays economy!
KUDOS to that guy! He was spot on when he stood his ground about it being manufactured in the Good old USA!
Wish we had more manufactures like him who A- believe in their product & B- are willing to lower their profit so that others may have jobs and in turn we can strengthen our own economy and also be more self reliant on US not another uber slave labor run Nation!
just my 2cents worth....
>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 05 2012 7:41:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile
grace
kudos is right thanks for sharing
i love a good story but real values
not greedly corps.
thank you
deborah

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile
thanks melissa
that will come in handy for those of us sick of outsourced products due to outsourcing (which equal loss of US jobs)
deborah

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  12:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Last year I wrote to Wal-mart and asked where their dry beans come from (the package that says "distributed by...)

They wrote back and gave me a form to fill out and I still don't know where they get the beans. I'm thinking they don't want us to know.

I do know that many Kroger brand items come from Mexico and other countries too.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  1:02:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristina,

That is something that really frustrates me. It is difficult to discover the source of our foods, sometimes. As I have been reading and researching about foods and creating a more healthy environment for my family, I often have that question. "Distributed by..." and "packaged by..." don't tell us anything about the product, at all. What can we do to change this?

~Jennifer~
Farmgirl #3803

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2012 :  11:36:42 AM  Show Profile
Saw the same Sharktank show and could really fell what they guy was expressing. It was SUCH a good idea and I'm glad he stood his ground and I'll bet he gets that made in USA and starts a wonderful company with American values.
I have been checking out so much since this topic started and I see so many things that don't tell us where they were made. It's frustrating. My orange this an had a USA sticker but I live in Florida so it was probably local.
It just shouldn't be this hard, but I am "awake" to this now and will definately keep checking on things and buying American when I can. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:17:02 AM  Show Profile
Libbey Glassware is made in good old Toledo, Ohio. I go to their warehouse store often. You can always find some good buys there.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  6:51:46 PM  Show Profile
thankfully all the fish fruits and veggies here
have labels saying where they are from..
but some pet food is hard to find ..i called the pet
food company and by law they are required to tell
you where the food is made. but not where they purchase the
ingredients to put in to the pet food i know it sounds strange
but if they buy corn or meat by products from
some third world country you won't know it since
they put the ingredients together here
so its made here???sort of...very clever..???

Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings! ~Author Unknown

jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:26:45 PM  Show Profile
fyi... the hub's & I were out this weekend junktiquing... and lo & behold I found a pair of red leather boots,,,perfect for my red petticoat & red trailer, "Farmgirl on the Loose"...but the best part, besides only costing $8.00, they are "Made in the USA" ... wahooo!
They were made by the, "Acme Boot Company", not a fancy foofoo named company but American made non the less.... to bad more of our Western Wear clothing is not made in the USA....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 21 2012 1:30:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2012 :  1:51:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace - LOVE the boots and what a deal for $8.00! Is Acme Boot Company still in business? I'll have to check them out. Make sure you post pictures when you're out and about with your red petticoat and new/used red boots.

I found some very nice socks at Rural King made in USA called Wise Wool. I really like them and I bought some for Christmas presents - all the gift recipients liked them too. I guess they're suppose to be like Smart Wool socks - but significantly cheaper.

I was at Walmart today and looked at some dog biscuits and couldn't figure out where they were from - so I put them back. Then I looked at some canned mushrooms - Made in China! I was shocked - no more canned mushrooms for me. However, to give Walmart (one of my least favorite stores) their due... I buy fresh mushrooms there and they buy them from a company less than 50 miles away. So that's a good thing. You have to look at everything.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic buy USA made Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page