True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  9:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda-
You can purchase beeswax from the internet but here is a list of Louisiana beekeepers so maybe you can find something local or localish?
Golden Delight Honey Baton Rouge Louisiana U.S.
Hummer & Son Honey Farm Bossier City Louisiana U.S.
Bernard's Apiaries Inc Breaux Bridge Louisiana U.S.
http://www.honeylocator.com/location_results.asp?Location_ID=19

Sorry these are repeats- I am looking at two sites:
www.localharvest.org

Golden Delight Honey (Baton Rouge, LA) LocalHarvest Sponsor!
Golden Delight Honey is a small business specializing in the production of locally grown Louisiana wildflower honey, chunk honey (extracted honey with chunk of honeycomb in bottle), and cut honeycomb. Our wildflower honey is unheated and only lightly strained to remove bits of wax, propolis, and the occasional honey coated honeybee.We also sell various honey products including honeystix (flavored honey in a straw), herbal honeystix, creamed honey, handmade milled soaps, bee pollen, propolis, and beeswax candles. (more...)
Abba's Hill Organics (Many, LA)
Just 1/4 mile off Highway 6, linking Texas to Louisiana, you'll find the small organic farm operated by John and Jodi Harris.Starting simply with an offering of vegtables, Abba's Hill has increased their offering to: organically grown vegtables, pastured poultry and eggs, homemade sourdough breads, and bee products - hence our logo, "Bees, Chickens & Garden Pickins'". Newly planted orchards & fruit bushes will ensure future diversity in available products. (more...)
Anderson's Produce & Plant Farm (Coushatta, LA)
Jason and Erica Anderson own and operate a nursery operation, fresh fruit and vegetable operation, and also offer tours to school children. (more...)
Briarhill Farms (Ruston, LA)
More stuff coming soon... Be sure to visit us at the new Ruston Farmers Market. See rustonfarmersmarket.org for updates. (more...)
Cane River Green Market (Natchitoches, LA)
Located on the beautiful riverfront of the Cane River in historic Natchitoches, locals and tourists flock to the Cane River Green Market. Music, events, enticing samples and helpful, jovial vendors abound every Saturday from mid-April to mid-November. Local fruits and vegtables, as well as, organic breads, pestos, jams & jellies, pecans, eggs and honey are sought after regulars. Every third Thursday, the Cane River Green Market hosts local crafters displaying wares from painted gourds to hand-beaded jewelry. (more...)
Gotreaux Family Farms (Scott, LA)
We at Gotreaux Family Farms believe in responsible farming. We specialize in nutritious foods. We grow seasonal fruits and vegetables and are Certicied Organic. We pasture raise Chickens for meat and eggs most of the year, Turkeys for Thanksgiving, and Seasonal Lambs all on Certified Organic Pastures. Soon offering Grass Finished Beef and Chevon. We also offer seasonal Farm Tours. Feel free to email for more info. (more...)

New Rennaissance Gardens (Jackson, LA)
We are proud to be opening our farm for business this spring! We are not yet certified organic, but we believe that our farming methods are sustainable and humane. We use only organic seed stock - NO GMO's! We do not use ANY chemical pesticides or fertilizers. We incorporate principals of Organic Farming, Biodynamics, Biointensive Farming and Permaculture to create and maintain our soil fertility. (more...)
Port Hudson Organics (Zachary, LA)
Port Hudson Organics is located just outside of Zachary, Louisiana. We specialize in organically grown seasonal vegetables, herbs, and flowers. We are open to the public throughout the late spring and summer growing season, from mid-May through early September, and once again for the Fall season, beginning in late October. We send a regular email update to those who are interested in keeping abreast of what is currently available, as well as more detailed information you may want if you are thinking about visiting the garden. (more...)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  02:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

You are the best-----Thanks
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  11:57:09 AM  Show Profile
Have you seen the movie "Lorenzo's Oil"? An olive oil tear jurker.
A beautiful story!!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  01:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
It also is very good to put on the ends of hair. My hair tips get very dry on the ends, olive oil helps so much!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  05:40:20 AM  Show Profile
I have been using olive oil for years especially in the winter. I keep some by the bathroom sink in one of those glass oil bottles with the metal pouring spout. I mix in a little bit of castor oil, and peanut oil with the olive oil. I mix in a little bit of my favorite essential oil and it great.

The castor oil is suppose to have geat healing qualities and the peanut oil is suppose to help with joint pain. I know when I rub straight peanut oil on my knees they seem to feel better.

For my hands I steep calendula flowers, dried plantain leaf,comfrey, and strain the mixture. I heat it up and add beeswas from our hives and then add some essential oils and make a good heavy hand cream or salve. I use that stuff on my hands and lips. I think its wonderful to have around.

You can play around with so many different combination. There are many different recipes on the internet.
I have ordered beeswax from Walter T. Kelly when we don't have any and also Glory Bee. They are really cool bee catalogs.And of course they do sell Honey. I think the Walter T. Kelly one is in Kentucky.
It only takes about an ounce of beeswax to a few ounces of olive oil. I will have to find my recipe and post it later.
take care

Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  06:36:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh! love these ideas! alee-is that where you get your beezwax? I wanna learn to make candles!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller

http://www.thebodyshopathome.com/web/dcole1
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  07:00:08 AM  Show Profile
My Grand daughter number two, has eczema on her fingers. It hurts her when she is playing baseball. What would be good for that?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  07:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mima!

I get the beeswax from the "Bee Barn" as we call it in my home town. At the first house I lived at they were only about 2 lots down. It's a cool yellow barn and I can still remember the smell of honey on summer days!

Here is a honey locator! Perhaps you can find a good local source for beeswax!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 28 2008 :  08:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have a friend here in prosser that presses Grapeseed oil...Grapeseed oil for cooking has a higher smoke point then Olive oil and has so many more health benefits you can check them out at www.apresvin.com - let them know that youre a farm girl!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlmama
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

35 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile
good furniture oil
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2009 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I make a thing where I use olive oil and sea salt and let it site for a while. It works great for my skin! I put it on when I get out of the shower.
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  04:26:19 AM  Show Profile
My grand daughters love to come to Nana's house and get their bag of homemade "lotion". One day when my oldest daughter was over with her 3, she was complaining about her dry hands, and asked if I had any hand lotion. I too am going the way of nothing on my skin I wouldn't eat, so I took a spoon and scooped a little coconut oil out of the container and she rubbed it into her hands. Of course the little ones came in and wanted some too, so I gave them some. DD was looking for some kind of smell though, so took a small ziploc bag, scooped in some coconut oil and added a few drops of essential lavender oil. The girls smooshed the bag until it was all mixed, then they took it home with them. This is what they use now. DD's baby boy will be born in February and I am already making soap, and collecting lotions and organic clothing for him!
Nancy- the eczema is probably from something she is putting on her skin, if she tried just pure soaps, shampoos and lotions, she might find a lessening of it. Also, exzema usually goes along with latex allergies, you'd be surprised at the things that have latex that can cause problems.
Rene- I love grapeseed oil!!! I first bought it to make granola, but now use it for other things too, I will check out your friends website!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Olive oil... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page