Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  1:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Now, I know that olive oil can be used for just about everything in the kitchen, but when the woman that I get massages from told me that she uses it for her massages, it got me thinking that my skin felt SO good afterward, I'd try it as a moisturizer (just a little bit!) It works wonderfully - on face AND body. The trick is to use it sparingly - or you can end up feeling like a salad! I have been just loving a few drops on my face after I wash it and when it's still just a little bit damp. Adios, other moisturizer!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  2:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I did a similar thing with jojoba oil, when I learned that it has the closest chemical makeup to the human skin...I just used it on my face and that was good. Then I branched out to make a balm, using jojoba, almond, shea butter, cocoa butter, olive oil, and a blend of lots of skin-friendly essential oils and that is what I have used for several years now. If you think about it, the ancients used it on their skin - the Romans would have a rub-down with it and then it would be scraped off before they went into the baths. And even an expensive extra virgin olive oil is so much less expensive that the make-up counter products! Good find! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  2:19:16 PM  Show Profile
I steeped some calendula flowers in olive oil for a couple weeks, strained it, and then melted it together with a little beeswax. It's fantastic on my hands, especially this time of year when they are pretty dried out.
Di
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  2:41:51 PM  Show Profile
Yep,
Olive Oil, Almond Oil and now I use Coconut Oil.
I slather up my skin before I towel dry and that way I trap moisture in my skin.
Then just towel off and my skin is nice and smooth.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  11:08:35 AM  Show Profile
I always add a couple drops of olive oil to a small tub of warm water and soak my feet in it - my own little mini pedicure. It really helps with dry heels.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  12:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like food receipes not skin. But it sounds wonderful to like it would work real well what about those with excema 4 members of my 5 member family have that

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Olive oil is so wonderful for your skin. In my opinion it is about the best oil you can use. I did formulations on lots of soap recipes using all kinds of oils, some very expensive. I found out that the olive oil formula was more moisturizing than the one with the exotic expensive oils and butters.

Sunshine -- my youngest grandson has eczema really bad and can't use anything commercial or with fragrance. My daughter makes a calendula baby soap the is mostly olive oil and it's great for the little guy's skin (she has it in her etsy shop). She infuses calendula in olive oil and adds that to the soap as well as calendula petals. He even uses it as a shampoo and it makes his hair so shiny.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com Free shipping through 9/15.

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  08:36:12 AM  Show Profile
I've tried using olive oil as a moisturizer in the winter when my skin is super dry, but it clogs my pores. Nice on the hands and feet though.

My husband went through a stage of using olive oil as hair gel! He couldn't find Brillcream in the stores for awile (didn't want to use anything but genuine old-man Brillcream on his genuine old man DA haircut). His hair looked nice and slick all right, but his pillowcases were ruined (and yes, he did shower before going to bed). But I'm sure none of you will be using that much olive oil on your hair. They don't call that the 'greaser' look for nothing!

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2006 :  09:35:48 AM  Show Profile
I haven't heard "DA" in a long time. That's great.

I'm sure olive oil would wreak havoc on my face too if I just put it on there straight. My skin becomes "congested" quite easily. Maybe I could use castille soap though.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  09:57:46 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to improve my health, and I read in the book "the cure for all diseases" that we shouldn't put anything on our skin that isn't safe to eat.

I will try the olive oil, thanks, Libbie
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  1:04:09 PM  Show Profile
I brought back Olive oil from Italy, We went to an abby and the nuns there make it from thier olive trees, 3 of them are american from the SanJuan islands in Wa state, theve been thier 20 years.
Now they said thier olive oil is the best around, and a nun wouldnt tell fibs, right,:)
So maybe Ill have to try some on my face,before its all gone.
It is very good oil.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  9:18:05 PM  Show Profile
It really makes sense that we shouldn't put anything on our skin that isn't safe to eat, doesn't it? I don't adhere to that one yet, sadly, but I can SO see the reasoning behind it, Kate. I've heard of the book "The Cure for All Diseases," and it sounded so interesting...

How wonderful to go to Italy to get your olive oil! Just think... when you run out, now you have one more reason to go back and restock!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  08:47:07 AM  Show Profile
I tried coconut oil after my bath last night..I love it! It works so well, and doesn't leave me feeling as greasy as the olive oil did.
Try it! It works especially well on dry hands, feet, elbows...and I put it on my girls' ezcema...works so well!
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2006 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile
MMMMmmmmmm.....coconut oil sounds so exotic and yummy - I'll definitely try it! Thanks, Kate!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

cynthia louise
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

cindy
gresham oregon
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  2:59:50 PM  Show Profile
I use olive oil as a hot oil treatment also. warm a bit in a jar, I put mine in the sink of warm water. Add a few drops of peppermint EO if you like it makes your scalp tingleBefore you wash it out the trick is to massage a bit of your shampoo into it all and then shampoo. Like therusticcottage I steep calendula in the oil and a few other things to make a save that I use all over. Coconut oil is a favorite also.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  11:30:16 AM  Show Profile
When I was a dancer (classical ballet), I always had terrible shin splints, and had tried every single sports wrap + leg warmer combo in the world to keep my leg warm and support the muscle. Nothing really worked, until a new instructor told me to rub my calves and shins with olive oil, really good, then wrap them with saran wrap tightly (like a pork loin!!!)and secure with electrical tape. Then put on my tights, then leg warmers. The first time I did it, it felt REALLY gross , but a few minutes into the barre exercises, my muscles felt invorgated--they were really warm and tingly, and it felt great. After class, I had very little pain, though I really had to shower well!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  1:58:01 PM  Show Profile
I learned this when we went camping and I forgot any type of moisturizer. Olive Oil to the rescue and my skin felt great! Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2006 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile
All of these ideas sound great. Now can some of you share where you purchase these items, like coconut oil, beeswax and jojoba oil? I know where to buy olive oil.

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same--and a good border collie doesn't hurt!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Just did a search, and came up with this thread. With all the weed-pulling lately, my hands were looking the worse for wear. I wore out one pair of gloves and had to break in a new pair. (Don't you hate it when your favorite gloves are swiss cheese and you finally have to replace them?) So, I've got blisters too. I took just a dab of coconut oil, which melted right in and has no scent, and in no time, my hands were soft and I'm hooked. It was so gentle, didn't sting the blisters (which I treated and bandaged). I found it at the regular ol' grocery store, and I used a tiny little bit. I'm sure it will end up costing much less than the other lotion I had been using, and it just absorbed right in, no greasy feeling. So very nice.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Olive Oil soap is so wonderful. I use it as a hand soap, but never thought of using it on my face.

Now my youngest daughter has eczema on her hands and feet and I am going to try olive oil to see if that'll speed up the softening.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  4:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Peg,
Kay from Rustic Cottage makes some kind of lotion bar that helps Sunshines daughters eczema. I think it's lavender and chamomile but can't remember for sure. I think it's under the lotion bar post in this room.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KitchenMadonna
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Virginia
Birmingham AL
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  12:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Okay, now the scrapes are taken! I've divided them out! Thank you all! I'm so happy they will be used.

Kitchen Madonna
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  12:30:38 PM  Show Profile
I make a face cleanser using a cup of yogurt, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. Mix the 3 together, rub on your face in circular motions for a minute & rinse off with cool water. My skin always feels very invigorated & tingly afterwards. Store cleanser in refrigerator up to a week.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

sheepdream
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Diane
Bloomington Indiana
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  6:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, I will be redundant here, as what I was going to say has already been said. I use extra-virgin olive oil on my face--more so in the winter months,esp. around my eyes. One word of caution: I work with a woman who developed hives, had the skin-prick allergy test, and it was determined she was allergic to olive oil! She did not use it for skin care, but ate it. I don't know how common allergies are to olive oil and I was quite suprised to know someone who is. I also know another woman who developed migraines and found out she was sensitive to enzymes present in olive oil that is stored for long times. She had to eliminate it from her diet, as ingesting the olive oil triggered the migraines. So sad.....I love the taste of extra-virgin olive oil.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work." Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  06:16:39 AM  Show Profile
I know this is an old post, but I am a newbie here.

I use olive oil in my soap making along with coconut oil.

For baby rash and eczema on my foster baby (has lots of allergies) I use 1/2 c olive oil with 3 drops of lavender or tree tea oil to make a bottle of "lotion". After her bath while still damp I lightly oil her up. She clears up very quickly.

I never thought of putting it on my feet. After a long winter they need some help! I will try this.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  8:50:25 PM  Show Profile
I love olive oil for everything.....If your joints are yelling, heat it up and rub on the joints....it you want a deeper pain relief,afger applying OO, put a warm wash rag on the joint .... I have rosesa (spelling ?) and OO if the only thing that does not play havoc with my face....anywhere that is dry , rub in Olive oil

Does one purchase Bees wax on the internet?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Olive oil... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page