Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  6:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Today Maggie, a beautiful "Belmont" Irish Jersey 2 yo heifer joined our family.

She is all black with a teeny bit of reddish shading over her legs. she's dehorned and reportedly from an excellent dairy line. Miss Moo still needs some work to be taught to lead, and I'll have to teach her to stand tied or in a stanchion, but she's had a lot of "udder handling"!

She's so cute and tiny! And very sweet even with my kindergartner. (In the blue skirt)
That's one dream crossed off the bucket list! Now to find someone who will AI her for me when the time comes! :D

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jan 27 2012 6:54:42 PM

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  8:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Miss Moo is a cutie. Thanks for introducing her to us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4237 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4237 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  04:28:51 AM  Show Profile
enjoy! she looks like she enjoys the loving.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  05:06:11 AM  Show Profile
Aww how cute she is!!!

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  05:39:13 AM  Show Profile
Too Cute! What sweet pictures. Congratulations.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  07:31:02 AM  Show Profile
OMG she is adorable. I would love to have a cow like her. How big does one of these get at full size?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  07:37:05 AM  Show Profile
happy days for you i see. she is very cute. how about a closeup shot of her sweet face? now you know what your doing with your free time. LOL sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  08:18:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wooliespinner

OMG she is adorable. I would love to have a cow like her. How big does one of these get at full size?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

She is full size Linda :D

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  10:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful and what a sweetie! Is she a cross of a Jersey and Irish Dexter? Just never heard of this breed before and want to learn.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  2:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful,congratulations!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  11:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Meg:
Belmont or Irish Jersey is basically a relatively new breed program that is trying to make a dexter with a boost in dairy production without losing it's huskiness as a beefer or it's small stature. From my research at this point they are pretty much a hybrid between the two and to register a cow or bull as a belmont it can be sired by bulls either registered as breed sires, or a lowline jersey or a dexter. No color or markings restrictions.

It took me 20 minutes to teach Missy Moo to be led, and she seems very fond of me. When the back door opens and someone steps on the porch she bellows for attention! When I stand in sight and am just not paying attention to her at the moment she "lows" to talk to me. She LOVES having her crest rubbed and that itchy spot where her horns used to be.
Oh my goodness she's an angel... SO friendly and people oriented.
I'm making her a vet consultation appointment tomorrow to get her a check up and discuss her AI. She's going to be one fantastic milk cow!

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jan 29 2012 11:09:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  4:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Congrats, she is darling! Yay for having home made milk :-D

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  07:51:12 AM  Show Profile
hey there jen.i sure am happy for you and missy moo. sure would like to see close ups of her if or when you can? i raise dexter/jerseys. she looks very sweet. i am still working on getting the halter on. my squeeze chute is in pasture. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  09:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Lucky Duck!

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  6:13:30 PM  Show Profile
I'll get some pictures tomorrow in the light. I'd have done it today, but you know how one thing leads to another... and then the day is shot... LOL! Can hardly wait for her to have a baby. As cute as she is grown I can only imagine how cute her calf would be.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  6:59:12 PM  Show Profile
She is adorable!!!! Congratulations!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Here we go... my phone went nuts and copied all of the pictures on it 3 times, and then started uploading them all to photobucket... that was like 2000 photos!! no wonder my droid was burning through the battery charge so quickly!
It's all cleaned up and fixed and here are the better detail pics of miss moo.

Vet gave her a clean bill of health, she's in perfect pregnancy condition other than needing a diet. Apparently my heifer needs LESS than a flake a day. 1.5 was way too much.
Now I just get to make arrangements with the AI guy (I'm looking at the number right now, so wish me luck on a decent catalog selection :D)

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Feb 01 2012 2:25:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile
we found a registered white park and a mini jersey semen for our heifers the co. is great. the semen was only $1500 a stick. just a thought. the white park is A-2 A-2 and i bet missy is too. you then have a cow with a perfect milk molecule. dexters tend to be A-2. happy days for you. she looks very sweet. how is her bag and teats looking? i think you said she is registered? either way she is beautiful. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  1:53:13 PM  Show Profile
She's really good about having her udder handled. Flacid like it is it's about the side of a soup bowl. Her teats aren't terrible long, but they're a great shape.

The problem I'm running into is finding someone with the equipment willing to come out to my place to do AI. Maybe once I do that I can bull shop :(

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Maggie Moo joins the farm! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page