Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Where are all the shepherds?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Where are all the shepherds? Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  08:03:37 AM  Show Profile
I am just wondering how to tell if a ewe is pregnant or just fat? If my 3 Katahdin ewes are pregnant, they should lamb toward the end of March. One of them, Gracie, is really big. But when I feel for udder, I just feel fatness. The other 2 are not as big. I remember a few years back when I had that really fat Katahdin ewe who was so fat she was never bred. Gracie is sort of looking like her in the back end.

I feed all 6 sheep 2 of the small coffee cans of cracked corn, sheep feed and alfalfa pellets twice a day. They all share that feed, not 2 cans a piece. It's between all 6 sheep. And Earl the ram is a pig. So really, the 3 Katahdins don't get as much as the 3 Finns do.

Anyway, since they are not wooly (well, 2 of them are a little more) I should see an udder soon, right?

And also I have noticed one of the Katahdin, Fiona, is limping. I saw her hooves and they are really getting long. But she will not let me trim them. I did one cut yesterday but she freaked out. So tonight when I feed them, I am bringing a leash and will tie her and get them trimmed. They are really long. The others are not. I hope this helps her. I'm sure that's what it is.

How are all the sheep? There should be lots of other shepherds with sheep lambing soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jan 29 2012 08:05:21 AM

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to say, they are only 13 months old. So all first timers.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  09:28:26 AM  Show Profile
most 1st timers of all animal species, do not bag-up before their 1st births, until a day or so before...and yes, fat animals do not conceive well, and/or abort at a very early stage...good luck and hope you do get some lambs

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  2:46:42 PM  Show Profile
You won't see a bag until middle of march .And if you got someone to help you lay the sheep on it's side to trim her feet. She won't like it but if you hold her done it is easier.I think so anyway that's what works for me. Make sure to check between her toes if it is raw you need to put something on it. You can put bleach on it to kill the germs. If you uses a wound spray make sure it don't have copper in it .copper kills sheep.Good luck and happy lambing. We are almost done with lambing we got about 16 left to lamb we got lambs running every where they are so funny. We had a lamb born Monday and my husband brought it to me and said the mom don't want it. After warming it up I gave it a bottle. Well it didn't suck when I opened it mouth it had teeth on top and bottom. It was crazy sadly it didn't make it . I took picture just in case someone said no way. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  4:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Well, I tried tonight during feeding. I tied a leash around her neck and then to the door. She started choking. I guess not a good idea while they are eating. Then she was down on the ground and stupid ram is stepping on her to get to the feed that she didn't eat. So I got her over by the fence and tried there but stupid ram thought I was holding her so her could mount her. Which he did several times while I was dragging her to the stall to get away from him. Crazy ram. So I got her right side a little bit.

It's been so muddy here. Everywhere they are is muddy. So she might have some foot rot going on? I'll try again in the morning. I might have to call for some help.

Do you think I am feeding them too much, Leslie? I only give them about half the amount in the evening. They also have hay. And do you sell any ram lambs intact? I will be looking for a Katahdin ram for the 3 Katahdin ewes for next time. I am thinking about it. But then I might want to just get another Finn ram. They are pretty meaty sheep. So sorry about the lamb. Is that the only one you have lost? I bet you have been very busy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  9:09:13 PM  Show Profile
Kris sheep don't need alot of feed if you give them hay. We turn are sheep out in morning time and they eat grass and we keep hay out in the field . We bring them in at night with feed. We put out about 50lbs of feed but we have alot of sheep . My husband mixes are feed. I can share that with you if you would like. We will have lots of rams for sale this year. You ask if we lost many well we had Romanov sheep and they have lambs by the litter. They had some and they only weighted pound to two pound each and we lost nine of them it made me sick. I sold all of my romanov. We lost two katahdin lambs and a katahdin ewe. But we also have over 170 sheep. I was crying one day about a sheep I lost and a old farmer told me the only way not to lose one is not to have one. I guess he is right. My sheep bring me alot of joy. I will send you some pictures when the mud drys up. If you would like? Make sure to get you a bottle of drench to keep on hand it's only about eight dollars and if you have a weak lamb it will bring it around. So much to tell I. Have learned alot over the last few year. Talk to you soon. Leslea
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I am a shepherdess, and first, I should tell you, the girl you tied up to trim hooves on: if the ram thought she needed mounting again, she may not have concieved. Rams won't normally remount an already pregnant ewe, although some will. Just watch her close. If you don't have babies from her in March, you may later then! But the other ladies are right. Fat ewes won't concieve well, and first timers, even sometimes second timers won't bag up until right before. One way to tell if a pregnant ewe is ready to lamb is to look to see if the baby/babies have dropped down. The ewe will look a little gaunt with the babies being carried a little bit down. This only works sometimes. You can tell they are somewhat ready by this if they don't have lots of wool or hair. We were told for our goat does to feel between and behind the pin bones. If the muscle there is still firm, they aren't getting too ready yet. If it feels "squishy" they are getting closer. This is just guide though. Nothing is for sure when it comes to sheep though! And YESSS! Leslea is right - get a bottle of drench for weak lambs...it helps sooo much. If one is weak and you can just get it enough energy to get up, it can nurse and get strong quicker. We have had a rough few years with conception and lambing. We bought a ram that had a genetic problem and it has ruined our breeding program. Sad to say, we bought him from a very trusted breeder that the family has dealt with since my husband was young and showing sheep in 4-H. So far this year we have had only 5 born and one was injured at birth too badly and one was a bottle baby. The bottle baby was taken in to my in-laws to feed as that seems to be our tradition. Unfortunately they have lost their touch and fed it too rich and I was sick and didn't catch the problem until the baby was near death. I couldn't save it. I feel horrible about them. But we must keep going because we have more ewes that are getting close to lambing.

Anyhow, don't fret yet...you will notice the ewes ready to lamb as it closer. You know your sheep! Good luck!

Stephanie

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  12:40:27 PM  Show Profile
There is a chest marker that you can get, or make that lets you know when your ewes/does have been bred by your rams/bucks. You strap it on and put colored chalk powder in the pocket on the boys chest (you can use differant colors for differant boys), that chalk will rub off on your ewes/does so you not only know when they have been bred, but by who...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  1:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Leslea, I would love to see some pictures of your sheep. And I may be interested in getting a ram later. I think if after the ewes have their lambs, I will go ahead and butcher the ram. I really don't want to keep one for too long. So far he's good. Have you had many more lambs yet?

I have been seeing some teats! I have been looking at them closely lately and have noticed on the 3 Katahdin ewes that I can actually see their teats now. With the 2 wool ewes, I doubt I'll see anything til they are sheared. But they are looking more and more like they are going to have some lambs soon! I really need to do some thinking on where to put them all when they do lamb. Because I have a feeling they will all go pretty close together.

Stephanie, I am so sorry you have lost some of yours. What kind do you have? And how many?

Tina, I have seen those things. With as few as I have, I didn't think I could afford one yet. When I get more sheep, I will have to get one. Just so I will know what's going on.

I have been getting Earl the ram to go outside the gate at feeding time so the girls can eat in peace. He is such a pig and pushes the girls out of the feeders so they don't get much. He doesn't like eating by himself but this will have to work. He is so funny. He follows me around like a dog. And the dogs don't bother him. He just stares at them so they get bored with him.

I am excited to have lambs again. It's been awhile. So what do y'all sell your lambs for? And do you butcher them to sell? I am thinking about doing that. We have a new butcher up on the mountain not too far from me that is ASDA inspected so I can sell in Ga. Also got a number of a place that will make labels for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Where are all the shepherds? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page