musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile
My three year old lab pit mix just had another seizure. The first one of this year, but he's had 2 in 2011. It's so scary to watch him go through that and then to see how clingy he is once it has passed. This time, he won't leave my husband's side because my husband was the one who was up with him since 2:00 in the morning.

We were hoping that this was kind of a random type thing with him. The last ones were in the middle of high heat during the summer and he had done a lot of running around so we were thinking it was heat related. Now, there is no excuse for it.

Hopefully, the vet can give us some answers this week...

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  08:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Wendy: Keep us posted after the vet visit. I hope your lab gets to feeling better and less clingy. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  10:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Maybe epilepsy? My oldest boy, a rescue who was a large breed dog, was diagnosed with it when he was four or five. It was controlled with phenobarbitol. The down side of phenobarb, according to my web research, was the possibility of either kidney or liver(can't remember which) falure. But a former member of this forum, who used to(and may still) write for Herb Quarterly, told me to give him Milk Thistle as a supplement to counteract any ill effects. And he never had any ill effects from the pheno. I give her all the credit.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  5:03:31 PM  Show Profile
You need to take your dog in to have some lab work done to check liver and kidney values. If those come back "normal", you should consider having other diagnostics done (mri) to see if there are any brain tumors or anything else going on. Believe it or not, there are veterinarians that do specialize in neurology. I used to work next door to one in Portland Maine, but there may be a veterinary college willing to help you in this area. Good luck. Sorry to hear that your dog has seizures.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  6:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I knew a dog that had hyperglycemia and would have seizures from having his blood sugar drop too quickly. His owner had to keep sugar cookies in the car for emergencies!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  1:24:44 PM  Show Profile
Yes, epilepsy could be a cause. My rotty mix started having seizures too several years ago. Always few and far between, then he might have like 2-3 in a row then none for months. They put him on phenobarbitol also, but the seizures were usually so infrequent that I took him off of it, afraid I was doing more damage than good. He is now 12 and was recently diagnosed with Cushings Disease. Seizures are a symptom of the disease. He was found to have Pituitary-based Cushings. The vet said that may explain why he had seizures early on, as the pituitary tumor is slow growing and the dog can have the start of cushings many years before it shows up. It is kind of an "old dog" disease, but I read that a dog as young as 2 was diagnosed with it. Seizures are such a funny thing though. I would see about just some routine bloodwork (like comprehensive stuff that checks glucose, TSH, T4, BUN, Creatinine, ALT, ALB, etc.) to begin with and see what they can find, if anything. I'm not sure, but maybe diabetes too could be a potential culprit? I'm not a vet, but just thinking of avenues to research.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Seizures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page