Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Honey Comb Next Topic  

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  11:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Our neighbor keeps bees and very generously shared a bit of his harvest with us. One thing he brought us, was honey still in the comb...I feel silly, but I am at a loss as to how to use it. It looks so lovely, but I'd like to do more than stare at it! LOL
Anyone here get their honey still on the comb? HELP! Thanks in advance!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  05:54:05 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda - lucky you!

You can eat the honey comb. Seriously; my grandfather and father raised honeybees in Ontario during the depression. Your neighbor was very generous indeed; honey comb is a treat. Here is a link to one website, but you can search for beesm honeycomb (not to be confused with the popular candy called honeycomb) Enjoy!

http://www.durhamsbeefarm.com/comb-honey.htm

Here's an excerpt:

Get Fresh Comb Honey from an Expert Pure Honey Producer!
You may already know Honeybees make honey in honey combs, which they make and build as well. Most people enjoy just cutting a bite size from the bee honeycomb and eating it. After you have consumed all the honey out of the bee honeycomb, you can continue chewing the (comb ) pure beeswax. Beeswax is what honey combs are made from. Honey combs are good for you as well. Some people cut and spread the comb honey onto their hot toast. Most young people could not tell you what comb honey is. In the last 20 years or so, more beekeepers extract their honey from their honeycombs since the extracting equipment has been greatly improved. Pure honey producer beekeepers can produce a lot more honey when they extract the honey from the honeycombs and put the honeycombs back into the hive for the bees to use again to store more honey. In doing so, the Bees do not have to build the entire bee honeycomb from scratch. HoneyBees consume about 8 pounds of honey to make 1 pound of beeswax.

" Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones" Proverbs 16; 24

There are 68 references to bees, honey or honeycomb in the Bible. The Bible has 66 books.

Jo

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Aug 30 2006 05:55:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Honey in the comb was a real treat for us kids. We would buy some at the farm market when we went apple picking and pumpkin picking in the fall. Like you say, Jo, we would cut off chunks and chew on them until the honey was gone. Then you spit out the chunks of wax. Sounds gross, but it tastes so good!

I've always wondered - can you do anything with the wax when you're done with it, like melt it and make beeswax candles?

Amie
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  06:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
wow cool and informative . Neat information

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  06:56:31 AM  Show Profile
YEA, LUCKY YOU RHONDA, thats something you won't find at a garage sale. But to tell you the truth I would have sat it on the counter and just stared at it too. Good thing the farm girls and google are out there!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  07:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
You know I vagley remember my grandfather having a jar that had a honey comb in it when I was about 6.
He let it drain in the jar we where aloud to eat the loose honey on english muffins.
But the comb was his he would let us have little pieces here and there I think it was a gift to him too.

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  7:39:17 PM  Show Profile
when i was keeping bees, i'd save the wax cappings in a jar and let the kids eat it when they wanted something sweet to eat. we called the wax honey gum. you can chew it til the honey taste is out of it and then spit it out in the garbage, but you can also eat (swallow) the wax too and it won't hurt you in the least. its also very good on your warm toast, wax and all, like they said above. the gift of having the wax with the honey is that in the honeycomb there are also minute particles of pollen in the honey - and if you get your honeycomb from a local beekeeper then one ingests the pollen from that area which can be beneficial for those with allergies to pollen. problem with store bought honey is that the honey is most likely filtered and thus removes the pollen, or heated to high temps which can ruin the pollen and alter the delicate taste of raw honey. eat it, take a spoon and dig in! and honey from a beekeeper is so much better tasting than the stuff from the store. oh my, wish i still had some bees - fresh honey is soooooo gooood. hope you like it.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  11:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone! Farmgirls to the rescue, again! I will be serving fresh honey in/on the comb for breakfast in the morning! Sounds wonderful. Our neighbor brought us honey in the little bear too! It IS wonderful! I better bake that man a pie, huh?!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  04:41:17 AM  Show Profile
i keep bees = got comb
and comb will travel
if anyone wants some to set some on their counter lol or between their teeth and gums
Go to Top of Page

Lynn B
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lynn
Derry NH
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  05:54:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh Ellen, I would love to try some fresh honey comb if you are offering! I've never had fresh honey...or comb!

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  05:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
ellen I would like some as well

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  06:45:02 AM  Show Profile
I bought some honey yesterday at the produce stand. I told the man I had to have some honey, since I was having biscuits for supper. He laughed and said he hadn't heard anyone say that in a long time. Mine came with the comb in it.

Oh- and Husband Dear heard on John Tesh last week that three spoons of honey a day can help with allergies. Amazing what nature can do!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile
You can also put the comb in a jar and crush it. Turn that jar upside down overtop another jar with a slightly larger rim (so that the rim of the jar on top fits in to the one on the bottom). Place a piece of cheesecloth between the two and strain the honey out of the comb if you prefer it that way. Then you'll have the strained honey on the bottom and crushed comb with a little bit of honey still left in it at the top. Yummy!

I have my first hive and hopefully next spring will have lots of honey of my own!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  05:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Carla
Did you do the TBH
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  2:29:23 PM  Show Profile
Didn't do a TBH but I plan to split this hive when it's strong enough (hoping next year) and put the split in a TBH. I stopped at a local beekeeps place and he had a swarm ready for me to take. I hadn't planned on getting the bees so soon so I went to a bee supply and threw together a Lang real quick. They seem to be doing well. Hope the winter goes well and there's plenty of honey to be had next spring.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  7:27:20 PM  Show Profile
ByHzGrace, Ellen, so nice to offer fresh homemade honeycomb or just honey. Don't know which is sweeter, you or the honey!

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  05:35:44 AM  Show Profile
Carla,
Well from the gang I know who use TBH, they don't get the quantity of honey, we collect. but get loads of wild comb formations that seems to keep the honey, they collect, not as much work as our extractions.
We aren't tested with winters, just big winds and tropical rains...neither of which are on a bees wish list. Already doing my Go away Florence hula!
Bless you Chris for the kind words, it is my bees who are doing the sweet work, indeed we be blessed to be able to share their abundance.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  06:26:12 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, I would love to try some of your honey comb! Please email me through MJF and let me know how we could do this...

Jo
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile
ok virginie jo
ya got mail
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Honey Comb Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic