Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 This chicken thing is getting way out of hand.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic This chicken thing is getting way out of hand. Next Topic
Page: of 2

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  05:41:14 AM  Show Profile
Trish my hubbies granddad was a cock fighter also & it just makes me so sad now that I have my 'kids' to think someone would ever use one of my roos for fighting........
meg so happy to hear you have found hatcheries that are good...the one order I put in 3 yrs ago none of the chicks last more than 6 months...& that broke my heart....so I have quit ordering any chicks from any where..I now prefer my mixed breeds I get hatched from my hens & have not lost one to any illness or defect...now if I can just shoot the chow who comes to visit...
I do love some of the hertage breeds specially the ones that are getting few in numbers but am just to scare to try to get any more chicks...plus with my crew i get so many different colored eggs its fun to see what the newest baby will have egg color wise. ..Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  6:49:21 PM  Show Profile
I went with the Buff Orpingtons as I have heard such wonderful things about their temperment. I am very excited about the Welsummers, hope I get a nice rooster in the group. Sandhill was a bit cheaper to order from, ranging $3-5 per chick, depending on breed. Urch was a flat $7 per chick, very expensive but show quality stock. Hopefully I will not have to order more chicks of the same breed next year as this should provide very good stock. I'll let you know how they turn out!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  04:21:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm real sorry about Little LaRoo. This is something I need to vent over, a little. There are sellers that let random frizzled polish just run around together. Their ads say stuff like: all my birds have some frizzle genes in them.
I feel like saying to them, little kids are going to be involved with many incubator hatchings. Get your head on straight!
I feel like if you have the heart to cull, then ok, if not, don't sell your eggs like you are a breeder that knows something.
quote:
Originally posted by batznthebelfry

My Pippi La'Roo was a double gene frizzle & sadly only lived just over a year...before him I never knew about the double or triple frizzle gene that can cause so many problems for the little sweethearts...:(...but they are so cute but hate the idea you have to know every family gene that is going on if you buy a frizzle......mine was a gift so I learned after I got him.......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile
Our 4-H poultry project starts back up around Mar. and each of my kids will have 25 chicks. I always look forward to it but I do miss getting to pick different breeds. They have to do the cinnamon queens. Dont get me wrong. They are a great breed. Huge brown eggs and mild disposition but I miss variety.
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  07:35:14 AM  Show Profile
My children participate in the 4-H poultry chain, as well. I had never been around a chicken until we started the 4-H project two years ago. Now, I am a chicken fanatic. I subscribe to several chicken publications, and I have my own wish list of breeds I would like to have. I am thinking of putting some of my income tax refund to use building myself another coop, just for the breeds I would like to have. I love the laying consistency of the Cinnamon Queens, don't get me wrong. However, through my reading and research, I have become a fan of others. Like some of you have mentioned, I would like to raise some heritage breeds and keep those lines going.

Hope you all don't mind me joining in on the conversation. I'm fairly new to the Sisterhood.

~Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Bayou Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

252 Posts

Jennifer
Star City Arkansas
USA
252 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  07:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Lea, I just noticed you are in Arkansas, too. How cool is that!?!
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  10:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Ooooh! I grew up with chickens when I was little, but about 3 years ago I started a very small flock. I had had a few here and there, like 2 or 3 at a time previously, but nothing much quantity wise. Now I cannot get enough of the chickens. Better yet, one of my sons is a complete chicken fiend also! He does 4-H with them and does pretty well. We have silver laced wyandottes, gold laced wyandottes, ameraucanas, and brown leghorns. We also buy some broilers for him to sell at the 4-H auction. I've turned into such a chicken nut that I have taken what would be a HUGE plunge and volunteered to fill the void of 4-H Poultry Club leader. No small task in our county. We have had upwards of nearly 400 chickens at our shows not including the turkeys, ducks, geese, and game fowl that are shown.

I think it is just GREAT for you all to be excited about your chickens, chicks, and eggs! I know I am!

Stephanie
Farmgirl 2920

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  6:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jennifer. Its one of the fun things about mj's finding those nearby isnt it
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  04:31:00 AM  Show Profile
Way to step up! I have been lurking at BackyardChickens.com, because my husband is sick of talking chickens.
quote:
Originally posted by BoPeep214

Ooooh! I grew up with chickens when I was little, but about 3 years ago I started a very small flock. I had had a few here and there, like 2 or 3 at a time previously, but nothing much quantity wise. Now I cannot get enough of the chickens. Better yet, one of my sons is a complete chicken fiend also! He does 4-H with them and does pretty well. We have silver laced wyandottes, gold laced wyandottes, ameraucanas, and brown leghorns. We also buy some broilers for him to sell at the 4-H auction. I've turned into such a chicken nut that I have taken what would be a HUGE plunge and volunteered to fill the void of 4-H Poultry Club leader. No small task in our county. We have had upwards of nearly 400 chickens at our shows not including the turkeys, ducks, geese, and game fowl that are shown.

I think it is just GREAT for you all to be excited about your chickens, chicks, and eggs! I know I am!

Stephanie
Farmgirl 2920

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  04:34:56 AM  Show Profile
I have to freak out because my incubator is arriving today!! Yesterday I bought two brooder lamps, and now, it's time to pick my chickens. WooHoo.

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  05:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Spring has sprung lol
Go to Top of Page

Dotsmom
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Kathleen
Coushatta Louisiana
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2012 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Dotsmom a Yahoo! Message
I've only had my chickens for two weeks, but I love them! I've gathered about four dozen eggs, too.

They are just too much fun, and I find myself going out frequently to visit with them.

I'm drawing up plans to extend the run even more to give them extra space.

Who knew chickens could be so much fun? A bit of work, yes, but fun!

Domestic Goddess with attitude!
http://suburbanfarmer.weebly.com/index.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic This chicken thing is getting way out of hand. Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page