Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 This chicken thing is getting way out of hand.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic This chicken thing is getting way out of hand. Next Topic
Page: of 2

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  06:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I ordered an incubator yesterday. I can't help it. It's all the egg auctions at Backyard Chickens.com. Who's got Frizzled Polish Bantams? Ducks in the bathtub soon.

DH cleared 1/4 acre of blackberries and stumps last weekend.
This neighborhood homesteader of out of control.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  06:21:55 AM  Show Profile
I must say I really don't see a problem here...lol...you can Never have too many chickens as far as I am concerned...why I have a huge 3 room coop in the shop, a coop in the basement & 4 injured chickens running around the dining room & bathroom....if you have seen my comments you will know I love nothing better than my chickens...so have fun & as for the bathtub why I think the ducks will have a merry ole time....I just wouldn't climb in with them naked since they tend to nip...lol...:)....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  06:29:51 AM  Show Profile
Like Michele - I'm not sure what the issue is here? Anyone else? ;) I think you've just come over to the dark side. You're one of us now. (Insert evil laugh...) Good luck with that incubator!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes! Michele and Amy are right! I, too, am a fowl fanatic, you can never have too many of the wee feathered ones

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:51:16 AM  Show Profile
woo hoo! What kinda ducks?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  12:17:34 PM  Show Profile
I am pretty much counting on you to help me out with that, lady that processes ducks. I want a call duck that doesn't fly. So, that's not going to happen. I just can't pinion a baby I hatch. So.... what's the nicest duck, that stays close to home, is a good forager, and might lay an egg or two a week? Followed by most delicious.
quote:
Originally posted by Dusky Beauty

woo hoo! What kinda ducks?

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  12:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like fun to me. Welcome to the club of chicken lovers. 50 chicks ordered and arriving in March!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  12:35:42 PM  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  12:46:19 PM  Show Profile
I had a dream last night that chickens were nesting and hatching eggs EVERYWHERE (I was at a college and the chickens were all over the campus). I told DH this morning it was time to get prepared for my long awaited chickens! He still hasn't started the coop! I want to be one of the chicken fanatics but I'll settle right now for 4!

Audrey
PS: Love the frizzleds!

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I love that pic. I have frizzles and I have polish but never seen them mixed! (or however they come up with that)

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  04:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Here's what I understand. Frizzle rooster, polish hen. It takes about three generations of breeding, I think they breed back to the frizzle rooster. If I can't buy eggs, I'm making them. They look like frazzled owls.
quote:
Originally posted by rksmith

WOW! I love that pic. I have frizzles and I have polish but never seen them mixed! (or however they come up with that)

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Jan 26 2012 04:10:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  4:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Whow! I do love your chickens.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  04:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Lat night I dreamed the lady that plays Bones, on the show Bones, was helping me with chickens. My Black Copper Marans will be in my farmer neighbors'incubator by Wednesday:)

My incubator has been shipped. I just have to pick out what comes next! So excited.
quote:
Originally posted by acairnsmom

I had a dream last night that chickens were nesting and hatching eggs EVERYWHERE (I was at a college and the chickens were all over the campus). I told DH this morning it was time to get prepared for my long awaited chickens! He still hasn't started the coop! I want to be one of the chicken fanatics but I'll settle right now for 4!

Audrey
PS: Love the frizzleds!

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  04:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Here are the last pics DH took. I think he's a little farther along now. It's 6 feet tall at the coop and the run is 8 feet. It is going to be my Bantam Tractor. It's nice enough for the front yard, right?

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  04:55:13 AM  Show Profile
What kind of chickens, Chicken Lady?
quote:
Originally posted by Calico Hen

Sounds like fun to me. Welcome to the club of chicken lovers. 50 chicks ordered and arriving in March!

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  04:57:08 AM  Show Profile
They aren't mine, but I am going to make them, if I can't find eggs. These chickens are hugely popular in the UK, but not so much here. Wish me luck. I have to have some.
quote:
Originally posted by hoosiercountry

Whow! I do love your chickens.

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  04:58:25 AM  Show Profile
I want to make a public pledge that I will never need a chicken diaper, but I keep hearing my momma's voice saying: Never say never.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  4:35:31 PM  Show Profile
Your chicken coop is very nice. Your husband did a good job. Did you find eggs or chicks for the frizzled Polish Yet? I would love to have some of those. They do look somewhat like an owl. I have an aracauna that looks like a white snow owl with the black markings on her neck and face. She is one of the neatest marked chickens I have seen in awhile.

Better watch out these chickens can get contagious.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  05:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I haven't found a source for eggs that produce Polish Frizzles. I have decided that when I get Bantam Cochins, I will look into Frizzles, so I could possibly do it my self. I have requested and am encouraging the Chicken Whisperer to do a show entirely about genetics. You can really mess up a chicken, easier than you think.

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  06:27:11 AM  Show Profile
My Pippi La'Roo was a double gene frizzle & sadly only lived just over a year...before him I never knew about the double or triple frizzle gene that can cause so many problems for the little sweethearts...:(...but they are so cute but hate the idea you have to know every family gene that is going on if you buy a frizzle......mine was a gift so I learned after I got him.......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  10:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Trish - I ordered an assortment of heritage breeds - buckeyes, orpingtons, dominiques, ameraucanas, black ameraucanas, cuckoo marins, anconas, black australop, and welsummers - all straight run. My plan is to have quite the beautiful,colorful egg assortment for selling! The roo's will have a wonderful summer and will end up in the freezer in the fall, with the exception of those chosen for breeding. I would like to have two or three breeds of heritage chickens for breeding to share and keep the breeds going.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile
You're going to have a rainbow in a carton!
quote:

Trish - I ordered an assortment of heritage breeds - buckeyes, orpingtons, dominiques, ameraucanas, black ameraucanas, cuckoo marins, anconas, black australop, and welsummers - all straight run. My plan is to have quite the beautiful,colorful egg assortment for selling! The roo's will have a wonderful summer and will end up in the freezer in the fall, with the exception of those chosen for breeding. I would like to have two or three breeds of heritage chickens for breeding to share and keep the breeds going.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:

That sounds like one heck of an assortment, where did you order them? and did you piece together your order or does some hatchery actually have a straight run heritage assortment special?

Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2012 :  8:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Jen, I ordered 25 from Sandhill Preservation in Iowa, http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html . You must have 25 minimum but you can piece your order with how many different breeds you want. My second 25 I ordered from Urch/Turnland (advertise in Backyard poultry) from Owatonna, MN. I am originally from MN and these men (Duane Urch and Glenn Drowns/Sandhill) were always well known and respected for having saved several heritage breeds from extinction. In fact I had requested Salmon Faverolles from Mr. Urch and he replied that his flock number is so low, he is not letting any of the chicks leave his farm! Sandhill has the Faverolles but I had already placed my order with them and didn't want to confuse things. Next year I'll get the Salmon Faverolles, with their extra toe!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  05:07:11 AM  Show Profile
JEALOUS!!!
quote:

Jen, I ordered 25 from Sandhill Preservation in Iowa, http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/chickens.html . You must have 25 minimum but you can piece your order with how many different breeds you want. My second 25 I ordered from Urch/Turnland (advertise in Backyard poultry) from Owatonna, MN. I am originally from MN and these men (Duane Urch and Glenn Drowns/Sandhill) were always well known and respected for having saved several heritage breeds from extinction. In fact I had requested Salmon Faverolles from Mr. Urch and he replied that his flock number is so low, he is not letting any of the chicks leave his farm! Sandhill has the Faverolles but I had already placed my order with them and didn't want to confuse things. Next year I'll get the Salmon Faverolles, with their extra toe!

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2012 :  05:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Seriously, I have been researching chickens for about 2 months, and it really doesn't get any better than Sandhill. The more I read, I am finding the smartest thing to do is invest in good stock.

What kind of Orphingtons?

I 'm not sure what your plans are, but I would buy Welsummer hatching eggs from you later on.

It was a tie between Faverolles and BC Marans for me. I got in touch with a farmer lady who is hatching French Black Copper Marans, and is selling them to me for $5/chick. They are Jeane Wade. Fancy chickens. I am so excited.

I am wanting a breeding project. I am studying genetics so I don't break my own heart!

I recently found out my great grandfather was a pit bull and cock fighter. There is nothing I love more than bully breeds, and now look at me with my chickens.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic This chicken thing is getting way out of hand. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page