Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Watch the weather!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Watch the weather! Next Topic  

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  06:03:13 AM  Show Profile
Okay, what is up with people not watching the weather forecast? Granted, I'm a weather bug, but I just can't understand not knowing the forecast so that you can adequately plan your day. I think this is a 'homesteading' skill that needs to be addressed.

Last year, our school went on a field trip. It was an all day outdoor trip. Several children were sent in shorts and short sleeves with NO coats and the highs were only in the 50s. One mother who came also had on no coat, capris and short sleeves (as did her child), and stated, "I had no idea it was going to be cold!" They shivered and huddled the entire time.

When you have animals and plants to care for, it is vital that you check the weather. How else would you know about a cold snap or inclement weather? Coming up is our tornado season. It amazes me that people leave their homes and have no idea that we have bad weather on the horizon.

As we farm girls know, paying attention to the weather saves us a lot of heartache and expense! My husband even went so far as to install a wireless weather station so I can stay on top of things around here.

I post weather to my FB page, and glad I do, because most of my friends do not bother to watch forecasts.

Thoughts?

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  07:55:51 AM  Show Profile
I agree! Knowing what the weather will have in store for you is important. My husband is a weather guru and I go to him before I listen to any weatherman on TV. He HAS to know what the weather will be like as he is fishing guide and is responsible for those in his boat and he has to be very careful to ensure a safe trip on the river as well as ensuring the conditions are prime for fishing.

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  08:22:48 AM  Show Profile
I agree. When I get up in the morning, I want to know what's the weather doing. And- when I go to bed, I want to know the same thing. From June to November, I especially watch the weather because of Hurricane Season. Nice post.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  9:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Well stated Amanda! I agree 100%. I work outdoors with plants and soil so I'm very in tune with the weather all the time. I live in a region where forecasting weather is very difficult due to our complicated topography. So you do have to be flexible and go with what actually comes your way because they don't always get it right. But there are way too many folks who pay no attention to what is going on in their environment.

We just had a snow storm last week, and I know people who drove to work without their tire chains on the day the snow was expected to fall and then blamed the snow plow crews for the problem when their vehicles couldn't get around on the commute home. The snow was followed by an ice storm and many people were without power for over several days. Within hours of losing power on our block we had neighbors asking to borrow firewood and fuel for their generators. They have since repaid us for what they borrowed, but still. All of this weather was reported on the news for several days before it arrived. The reason we had the goods they needed was because we took the effort to listen to the weather reports and planned ahead.

Pay attention. That's all I ask for!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  11:46:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for reminding me to check tomorrow's forecast. Since I walk to work, it helps to know what my odds of skidding around the sidewalk are!

I can't understand, either, why people are always surprised by the weather when it's not that hard to know ahead of time...argh.

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  6:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn,

Lucky for your neighbors, huh? We are not perfectly prepared, but that is my goal for the next couple of months. We have a LOT more ready than other people, but still.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  6:38:01 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn,

Lucky for your neighbors, huh? We are not perfectly prepared, but that is my goal for the next couple of months. We have a LOT more ready than other people, but still.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  6:41:54 PM  Show Profile
It amazes me how many do not even think to know their weather, and in alot of areas, that can make the differance between life and death for pets/livestock/vegtables and fruit, and thats not even counting human life...its something I was taught as a child, and never forgot...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2012 :  6:35:29 PM  Show Profile
i too watch the weather
i'm kind o addicted to it
especially when a storm is coming
and i always keep a jacket in the car.

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  07:38:59 AM  Show Profile
We keep rain panchos (for all 4 of us)and also 2 blankets in the car. We really ought to also keep some food/water and a good flashlight/light sticks in there, too. We also have a first aid kit. In Texas, you just never know!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:52:25 PM  Show Profile
We keep an eye on the weather all the time too. We have one of those things where it has an outdoor therm thingy (the official term, I do believe) and then it wirelessly sends the temp to the indoor therm thingy (another official term), so we know what it's like without going out into the cold.

I can't get over a lady would show up in capris and then shiver. Well, yeah, I can too...

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Also, http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com is back up and running! Please check it out! Puh-leeze...??

My newest experimental blog: http://lostadventuresingreatdeals.blogspot.com Check it out!!

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2012 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who checks the weather several times a day. I'm always amazed by people who claim they had no idea what the day was going to be like. I remember a soccer game where the mom had the kids show up in their uniforms only. It was sleeting and snowing with below freezing windchill's! Fortunately another mom had spare clothes for those poor kids to wear.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Watch the weather! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page