Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 January thaw and Airs Above the Ground
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic January thaw and Airs Above the Ground Next Topic  

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  1:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!
This week we are experiencing our January "Thaw" and it has been lovely! This morning was no exception. I left the house and headed to the barn in just a long sleeved t-shirt. Got the poo clean-up done in a snap, I guess the horses and donks were out most of the night. Then re-stocked the hay in the barn and topped off the stock tanks.

I finished in record time! Because it was so nice out, and I have been itchin to work with my horses, I decided to lunge three of them. Monte and Kachina were awesome, even after being off work for forever since we moved. I then thought I would start the lunge lessons with our TB filly Chloe. She is just coming three (all four of her front incisors have just come through) and has been free lunged on several occasions, but never worked on a lunge line.

First we started off with some simple things: leading at arm's length, stopping, and backing up on the lead. All of these she does fairly well. I then got the lunge line and we started some desensitization with that. This lunge line is fairly heavy, and I think I may have to switch to one of the longer, flat ones in the future. After draping the lunge line all over her, bringing it around her back legs and asking her to move away from the pressure, I decided to try and get her to move a bit. I started by making her back up and then come to me, by wobbling the lunge back and forth, then moving the rope to me gently. Both of these she did fairly well several times. So I decided to try and get her to move off...and that is when the fun started.

A bit about Chloe, she came to us about 5 months old. She had been kicked in the hock by an adult horse, and the owner was going to shoot her because she would never race. Long story short, we gave her a home and a chance. In the coming months/years, she was to prove that she is as troublesome as any TB can be. Flighty, accident prone...you name it, including a run-in with a porcupine of all things! She has had more stitches, dings, dents and bruises than you can imagine. Some days I am amazed she has actually made it to three One blessing in all of this, is that because of all her injuries and accidents we have had to handle her...A LOT. This means that she trusts us, and that hopefully will make a difference now that she will begin her training...

Back to today. So after making the decision to try and get her to move a bit on the lunge, I reached down and picked up the driving whip and the fun began. Please know that I do not whip my horses. The whip part of this monster is tied to the shaft. It is just an extension of my arm, BUT it is a whip. It is also she has seen before and one we have rubbed all over her to desensitize her to. Chloe's eyes got as big as saucers and she bolted, I dropped said whip and hung on as the rodeo ensued. She got all four feet off the ground a number of times, and never once made it completely around in a circle. Apparently lunging to Chloe meant time to try her "Airs Above the Ground"...and as my favorite training quote says, "It takes as long as it takes, to train a horse" this is gonna take some time!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  3:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you had an awesome day. Wish I could have been there to see the horses. Chloe is one lucky horse. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  3:38:44 PM  Show Profile
oh margaret, what a fine story. could you post a pic of her yes it takes however long it takes. even with my cow. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Here is a piccie of our Sweet Bebe Chloe, it was taken prior to moving up here to CO last Spring. I will take a better one tomorrow, before we work with her again.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
She looks like a sweetheart! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile
What a day Margaret! Isn't it interesting to discover how you can do all kinds of things with your horses and think that they are perfectly cool about everything, and then the one little thing that they think is going to kill them shows up and you suddenly realize that there is always homework to do! Keep us posted how it goes!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  5:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh Paula that is so true! Today Hubby worked with her and I have a bunch of pics I will post tomorrow. We introduced the circingle today (upped the ante a bit) as I think it better to start her off with it than with out). All in all she did very well.

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  7:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Margaret- I think that your thaw is finally starting to reach Montana. Most of our snow is melting and I only had to wear one layer to feed and water Tala. I can't wait to get her on the lunge line this spring and then get back to riding. It's been a long winter without riding!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  1:17:25 PM  Show Profile
I know Alee, we have not worked our horses since last June! Our Spring early Summer was filled with trying to find a place to live in CO and packing to move. Then the last Summer was spent getting this place ready for Winter. it is a never ending cycle!

Here are a couple of pics of Chloe and my Hubby working yesterday. She did very well, with only one minor oopsy, where she slipped and went on her butt. Training without a round pen will be such a new experience for my Hubby and me.

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com

Edited by - MEWolf on Jan 22 2012 1:19:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  6:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Looks Great, Margaret! I am waiting for our snow to melt so I can get Tala out and working the kinks out. I can't wait until this spring and summer when we can go for a trail ride! How are you enjoying the Co. weather?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I LOVE it here. We are 1,000 feet lower in elevation from where we lived in NM and it is less windy here. We get little snow storms once a week or so. And there is GRASS! We had almost none in NM. Great for the hay bill!

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  8:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Absolutely! It will be great when the prairie blooms this spring. It is really beautiful! Do you have gopher holes in you pastures? I noticed a couple out here that I am going to have to deal with. I don't want Tala to break her leg when she is having fun galloping around. The Landlord is letting us turn her loose on the acreage before the alfalfa starts growing in the spring. So on days when I am home and can watch her- she can run around on about 150 acres (it would be 300 but the silly horse is afraid of crossing the creek which is only about 3 inches deep). I know she would be fine if I left her out all the time, but there are some horse hazards such as farm equipment and barb wire and I don't want her getting injured especially since we have to work about 40 minutes from the farm.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  07:39:01 AM  Show Profile
I totally understand your concerns about turning her out alone while you guys are at work. I would be the same way. I have seen some old holes (?), but have not seen any new ones since we moved here. Maybe because we have so many critters, it is too noisy for them and they moved on.

Gosh 150 acres is fabulous! Why not use the creek as a "Teaching Moment" with Tala? Head out there with her, a lunge line and work on crossing the creek while you are on the ground...will make water crossing easier once you are in the saddle. We call our one Morgan mare "Kachina" the Waterhorse because she adores water. We joke that if we ever move to a place where there is a creek, pond, etc. we will never get her out! Our other guys are not so enamored of water, bathing time in Spring can be a rodeo! LOL

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  08:04:10 AM  Show Profile
And here i thought i own the only disaster prone horse, my Filly manages to get hurt on everything. and is always in our pond, but she doesn't go out as far as the mules.
when training with out a pen (round or otherwise) i have found that you will have a better trained horse because you let them see different things and they have to pay attention to you. this is how i fixed my Filly when i got her, she was a disrespectful, airs above ground, roll on top of you trick pony.
good luck on training, its always a learning experience! this is where the mules say the best grass is, no problems with water crossing here

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net

Edited by - Megan on Jan 23 2012 08:05:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  09:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Megan,
I love that picture!! So glad to hear I am not the only one who owns a bubble-wrap and cotton pony! I agree, I think she will be better trained. The hard part is not having that RP to fall back on! Apparently we did not realize how spoiled we were!!

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  09:37:24 AM  Show Profile
I just love to watch my horses perform airs above the ground. I didn't know other people called it that! It's particularly funny when they slip and fall (not getting hurt of course) and jump up and look around checking to see that nobody noticed.

My daughter's Arab did a good one. Jazmine is typically Arab. She will self-exercise. If only I could! Anyway, sometimes when I feed I will drive the 4-wheeler in big circles around the pasture to make the horses run. I love to watch horses run. So pretty soon the Fox Trotters stop and just want hay. Jazmine will continue to run laps and the Fox Trotters just look at her like she's nuts.

Well, she was doing her thing one day and I hollered, "Jazmine, you're gonna fall on your butt!" Next thing you know, her feet slip and she sits down (!!) and slides about 15 feet, on her butt with her front legs out in front. Talk about hysterical. I laughed so hard. Of course, she jumped up with the expression, "I meant to do that."

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  09:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Loyce the mental picture you painted was hysterical! They really are funny when they do things like that. Gotta love life with Equines, pohs donks, and mules; never a dull moment and loads of laughter and warm fuzzies! I can't imagine life without them.

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Margaret- I am def. going to use the creek as a learning opportunity. Tala is saddle trained but still hates the water. Once she gets into it she is fine, but crossing that line even when she has been there before is the hard part. We just moved in 10 days ago so we haven't gotten to avail ourself of the creek yet- but I have so many devious plans for spring ;)

We also have a good mile long stretch of river front that is part of our rental so she is going to go swimming this summer too...she just doesn't know it yet! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  12:02:45 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited for you! I am so looking forward to Spring here too, one for planting my organic gardens, and two to ride, ride, ride!

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic January thaw and Airs Above the Ground Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page