Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Question for all the "home dairy maids"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question for all the "home dairy maids" Next Topic  

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  10:28:03 AM  Show Profile
In a family meeting recently we were discussing the various roles members of the family would have on the farm we are looking at and that brought up the home dairy.

For food safety, I was thinking only I or a responsible adult would collect or at the least oversee milking, and that brought up a good question.

Does anyone pasteurize their home milk? or does everybody just drink it raw and chilled?

I was thinking of playing it safe the first couple months and pasteurizing my own, especially on a new animal. Nobody has any food sensitivities or compromised immune systems, either way organic home milk is going to be better than the plastic hormone treated gallons from the store.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  12:05:02 PM  Show Profile
hi jen, the milk in most stores is also dehydrated and then reconstituted. so it is all the same. why pasturize. when you get the cow you should ask for tests. it is common for folks to sell cows with udder issues. some there is no cure for. she must have a bangs when under a year. that shows she was vacs. she will have a tag in her ear. if you buy a young heifer and spend time with her you will not need to worry. please go to rawmilk.org. i think. i drink raw milk every day. for years now never a sick day. i do have what is needed to test my cows in barn when milking. i test once a week.kids have always been the traditional one milking on the farm in the olden days. if trained right the cow will be a gentle girl.now this is just my opinion raw milk rocks happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  4:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jen,

I have been milking dairy goats for 20 years now. I bought a pasturizer and tried it a few times. I then had my girls all tested for CAE,Johnes,CL (abcesses) and TB. They tested negative and since I have a closed herd for the most part they are clean and every few years I retest again.Since I have a clean herd I opted to drink raw milk. I traded my pasturizer to a gentlemen for a grain mill he had. I have been drinking raw milk ever since and I love it and have never ever been sick from drinking it. I milk from a clean healthy goat, strain into a clean milk filter, put the milk in the freezer until its super cold and then place in the fridge and thats it. I use half gallon jars to store my milk in. I think it stays nicer than plastic.
Everyone will have a different opinion on this so you will have to do what works for you. But either way if you pasturize or not your milk will be fresh and delicious and hormone free. Thats the best part and you know where its been. Right now I am buying organic milk until the girls freshen. I can't wait for goat milk and fresh cheese again.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  4:21:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking more so about doing it to cover for any "learning curves" in milk safety, not so much to protect us from the cow. :) Do I need to get a pasteurizer to Pasteurize? I was under the impression it could be done in a normal pot on high heat with a thermometer.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  5:41:17 PM  Show Profile
you can do it in any pan. heavy bottom stainless steel pan is thought to be best. you raise the heat very slowly. hope this helps... milk has its own antibacterial inhibitors built in.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  7:58:19 PM  Show Profile
So much good information...Thanks

Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  8:21:45 PM  Show Profile
I have always drank it raw. Both cow and goat. As long as you know your animal and all your equipment is clean and you strain the milk real good and get it really cold really fast, you should be fine. And the longer you milk the more you will know and see, so you will know when there is a problem. I have no problem drinking other people's raw milk either because I know they are extra careful and do all they can to keep the milk safe.

But it is up to you. I don't think there is a difference in the taste if you pasturize the milk. And you may feel better about giving it to your family at first this way. But I bet after awhile, you will go to just plain ole raw milk. Just think of all the good things God put in that milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  03:58:08 AM  Show Profile
My folks had a dairy farm, and we always drank raw milk. And today I have a family cow, and drink raw milk. Nothing better.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  07:12:41 AM  Show Profile
I agree with my Windy Pines cousin, her raw milk is delicious! My husband loves it too.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  08:50:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

I have always drank it raw. Both cow and goat. As long as you know your animal and all your equipment is clean and you strain the milk real good and get it really cold really fast, you should be fine. And the longer you milk the more you will know and see, so you will know when there is a problem. I have no problem drinking other people's raw milk either because I know they are extra careful and do all they can to keep the milk safe.

But it is up to you. I don't think there is a difference in the taste if you pasturize the milk. And you may feel better about giving it to your family at first this way. But I bet after awhile, you will go to just plain ole raw milk. Just think of all the good things God put in that milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

I'm sure I will, I think it would just be good to have that safety net at first. It's a close concern, my grandmother contracted brucellosis from raw milk off the family farm in the 40s.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  09:18:54 AM  Show Profile
I have never pasturized the milk from either my cow (now) or goats (before we got Mona the cow) at all. If it makes you feel better you should. Have fun!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Question for all the "home dairy maids" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page