Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep Advice For Beginners Next Topic  

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Y'all! I've recently caught the sheep bug and am wondering if anyone has any farmgirl wisdom to share about getting started with sheep? Thanks!

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  5:40:46 PM  Show Profile
I would love to get some sheep too,I don't have much experience with them but keep Nubian goats,there's alot of very sheep savvy women here and I'm sure you'll get some great advice,I'll be watching for the responses too.
What breed of sheep are you interested in or are you decided?
I really like the looks of the Jacob sheep but think I like just about all of them too :)

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  6:27:40 PM  Show Profile
On Page two is "All things sheep and Goats" We have been quite for a bit because we are all working hard to get thru winter time and such. I know it is a big forum and I write there along with many great gals - we have talked about all types of topics and so you will find tons of information. Also if you don't find what you are looking for there just post the questions there and we will gladly assist. I raised Icelandic, Southdown, Corriedale along with Cashmere, Angora and all types of milk goats. I have also reaised Alpaca's and llama's in fact just three hours ago a baby Llama girl was born here.... So hope to see you over there.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  7:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new little baby Grace,I don't think I've ever seena newborn llama before,I bet she's adorable!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  7:36:43 PM  Show Profile
Anything baby is but I Love Llama's I will get pictures taken when all is calm, well and running smoothly.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  04:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Once you catch the sheep bug, your life will never be the same. I love working with sheep. I too have been on the sheep and goat blog for a long time.
I started out as a spinner, knitter and felter that wanted my own supply of wool fiber. I started my flock by going to shows and talking to all the nice sheep exhibitors. I purchased a set of registered shetland twin ewes right off the show floor, (the gal kept their ribbons). Then I got corridales and a couple of large Oxfords, my flock grew fast. I just sold 27 head of ewes to a nice family wanting to get a flock and later get into the fiber business. I have three rams: A Border Leicester, a blue faced Border Leicester and my newest little guy, Sammy, a Cheviot. I now have 14 ewes, my favorite fiber pets. I enjoy working with the shetland/BFL wool and the oxford crosses.
To get started, talk to other sheep people, know why you want to have sheep: is it for fiber? is it for meat? or for pets? You can also read so much information about sheep on the internet. Attend Sheep and fiber shows.
You also need to know how many sheep your land will support. Sheep need to be rotated from lot to lot to prevent worms to have healthy sheep. You also need to be able to protect the sheep from predators. I have two sheep guard dogs.
Hope we can help you.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile
I love my sheep. They are so sweet and calming and I just love to watch them. I am really glad I have sheep again. They are not much trouble at all. I have mine trained now. Every morning I feed them on one side of the pasyure where the shelters are. Then they have to go through the gate into the yard a little ways then across the driveway into the other pasture for the day. They all go in a line and now sometimes go before me. And in the evening we do it all backwards. I have started putting some feed into their feed things before I get them and Darla, the biggest ewe runs ahead now and knows there is already feed waiting. So she's the first one there. My dog Bubba just has to sit a ways up from the gate and they go right where I want them to. There have been a few times they have not gone back in but they end up going. They are creatures of habit for sure and get used to things.

I hope you get a few. I have 3 Katahdin-Dorper cross ewes for meat and 2 Finn for wool. The ram is Finn-Suffolk-Hampshire. So we should have some meaty little lambs I hope. Which should be happening in March!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  6:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a medium sized mixed flock. Some are sheep for show, some for meat, and some for wool. My advice is to research exactly what you want from your flock. If you want wool primarily, check into wool and hair breeds. Think about size also. And don't get too many at once, but get more than just like 2. If you get more than that, you can handle them easier because of their flocking insticts. Breed for babies to come in cool weather to prevent infection, but you also have to keep them from freezing if it gets too cold (the babies obviously). And absolutely, spend time with them each day for as long as you can. They will build up a trust of you and you will get to recognize each one as an individual and therefore if one gets sick, you will notice right away! Keep hooves trimmed. Vaccinate. The usual. But sheep get a bad wrap that they don't deserve really. They have been very hardy for us and are very rewarding to raise. I really hope you get a chance to enjoy sheep! We have suffolk crosses, Lincoln crosses, Black Merinos, Merino crosses, and Hampshires. And yes, of course, we get frustrated with flock management sometimes, but we would never think of giving up the flock. Plus, I love the title of "shepherdess"! Have fun!

Stephanie

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  7:29:05 PM  Show Profile
The sheep bug is really bad. It started with two.Than a few more well we are up to 170. Yes I have lost my mind. I LOVE IT!!!!! I have hair sheep Katahdin and a few Romanov. Katahdin are great moms. They are easy keepers. And theres nothing cuter than lambs. When they get to playing it is so funny. After all these years i finely found my calling.
Go to Top of Page

BoPeep214
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Stephanie
Fort Wayne IN
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile
WOW! 170?! We were going crazy with 65! Of course, 10 goats put on top of that makes it feel like double the trouble! We are now down to 5 goats, so that helps. What's your secret?! I love our sheep, but it takes a lot of dedication. I imagine it takes even more with so many more sheep in the flock. I tip my hat!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Stephanie

"Happy to share with you such as we've got: the leaks in the roof and the soup in the pot." `Unknown`
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  4:24:20 PM  Show Profile
I am happy to know that Katahdins are good mothers. All 3 of mine will be lambing in March for the first time. And I cannot even imagine what 170 sheep look like. Do you give farm tours? I would love to come see them and see how you operate. And you are the only other person I have heard of around here with Romonov. I had a ram that was pure evil. I have never seen any others. They have beautiful wool though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  6:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Are Romanov just lambed. Ok i thought the idea of them lambing by the liter was awesome. More is better right? Well not in this case. We looked high and low to find them paid top dollar for them and they lambed what a mess. The first one had 3 lambs and 2 out of 3 had something wrong with them. Ok last night Molly had 4 lambs they weighted about a pound each not even big enough to get milk. After all that work the poor little things didnt make it. I hate that so bad. Because on my farm we have a saying we go by no lamb left behind. So i think im going to stick with Katahdins . Not saying Romanov are bad sheep because i love my girls but that was alot to go threw. I have one romanov left to lamb we will see how that goes. And about 20 more katahdins left to lamb.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  06:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Leslea, that's so sad that they are losing the lambs so far. I hope the last ewe has healthy lambs. The half Romonov ewe that got bred by her full Romonov dad at just 5 months had triplets. They were all healthy but one of the little rams was a hermaphrodite and I hope I spelled that right. He peed like a girl but had boy parts. But healthy other than that. And he tasted fine. And they were all really big lambs too. She was a really good mother by the way. Took care of all 3 the whole way.

I have 2 Finn ewes and I have read that they can have lots of lambs. I am a little nervous about that. I am not sure if they are pregnant. I probably won't know til I see lambs on the ground. Those girls are so wooly. With the Katahdin ewes I can tell. They are all 3 getting bigger every day. They should be lambing sometime in March.

How many Katahdin lambs so far?

I am wondering what I am going to do with my ram when we start having lambs? What do y'all do with your rams? Do you have more than 1 ram so they won't be alone? And when my Katahdin ewes start lambing I can put them in the fenced area with the stall and keep Earl with the Finn ewes til they lamb, if they do. Then I guess I could put him with the bucks? Will that work?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep Advice For Beginners Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page