Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Getting Garden Beds Ready Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  5:48:30 PM  Show Profile
I cannot wait a minute longer. Today, I pulled weeds out of the garden beds. I raked the dirt, even watered the dirt. I am ready to go, even though it is only January.
I have Spring fever. I cannot NOT be outside.
Is anyone else preparing their garden beds for Spring?
I cannot wait to see the plants coming up.
What will you plant this spring? My Sweetie (hubby) and I will plant; okra, tomato's, carrots, onion tops, parsley, beans, peas, and we will try potato's.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  7:27:40 PM  Show Profile
Man Marly - I wish I could get into my garden, we finally got some winter weather so there is about 6 inches of snow in the garden - I will have to live vicariously through your reports:) I am going to put my seed order together this weekend though, and build some PVC stands to hold up our grow lights so I can start tomatoes, onions, peppers etc.
Have fun!!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

osbornefarms
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Leslea
tn
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  7:58:41 PM  Show Profile
Spring is AWESOME !! Looking forward to it myself. My farm looks sad with no flowers , no leaves and it is a muddy muddy mess. Come on spring!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  07:50:54 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace: When I was posting my topic, I thought about y'all up in the northern states. At least we can get the seeds ordered, rake the beds, etc... The weather is warm here today, supposed to be in the 70s. I'll be outside playing in the dirt, mowing, etc... Just a part of me wishes I could be playing in the snow.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

JacquiePutters
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Jacqueline
Crystal Lake IL
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  07:33:47 AM  Show Profile
I did a couple of things to address Spring Fever this year. I planted garlic in the fall. Just looking at the snow covered, straw covered, boxes makes me just a little bit hopeful. I'm researching bentwood trellises. I don't have to wait until warm weather to work on those. And I have a box (I do square foot gardening) I'm converting into a cold frame. That's another project I can do while I wait for the Spring. I live in Northwestern Illinois so I have a LONG wait. When I just can't stand it anymore (which will probably be next week) I'll start herbs inside. It doesn't matter when you start them, they smell really good and they're immediately useful.

Peace!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Jacqueline: We still have onion tops. In fact, I made a gumbo a couple of days ago, and went to the garden area, cut onion tops, washed them, cut them, put them in the gumbo.
I don't think we'll have a winter down here this year. So, spring fever is here for me!!! Good luck with the herbs.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Just a part of me wishes I could be playing in the snow...
Bear,you are more than welcome to come to Iowa to share winter here! LOL! Feel free to shovel my walk, salt the sidewalk & be cold in general! I'll be happy to come dig in the LA dirt for you... : )

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:26:40 PM  Show Profile
Marly, I sure wish I could. I had to laugh at you having to water your dirt. All I have is MUD and alot fo it. I don't think I will have to water a thing all year. I hope you get alot done there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I would rather be watering dirt than to stay inside. Nope! I like to be outside.
Stephanie, Iowa, I had a brother-in-law from Iowa. He was a hoot. Still like him a lot. My sister would never go home to Iowa with him because it was so cold.
I'd still love to be able to play in the snow. I've only seen snow three or four times. LOL. I wouldn't mind doing any of the things you mentioned, but being cold... I don't know.
Come on down and play in the dirt with me. You can help get the garden beds in order for Spring.
Stay warm.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

avlfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Cameron
Asheville NC
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile
I plant garlic and leeks in the fall so I have something green growing during winter/early spring. I took old sugar snap pea seeds and planted in beds--not for production but to add nitrogen to the soil. Also, there are some great winter greens that will grow in milder climates.

It's what you do that makes your soul. ~Barbara Kingsolver
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  06:12:34 AM  Show Profile
I would recommend the book Four Season Harvest by Eliot Coleman to any and all of you. While you may not be able to plant in winter, you can certainly harvest all winter long! I live in E. Tx so we are blessed with a short (usually mild) winter so I always have stuff in the garden. This year was the absolute best for broccoli...ever. It was massive and sweet. I harvested it about 2 weeks ago.

Right now in the garden I have chard, broccoli, all sorts of lettuces, spinach, carrots, tons of parsley and cilantro (and other herbs), and we just planted onions yesterday. I also have taters left over from fall that have not fully matured yet. Now I need to get out there today and plant sweet peas.

That book literally changed the way I garden and the way I will always garden. Don't let cold weather limit you!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  08:12:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that book recommendation, Amanda. I'll have to check out amazon.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  08:56:31 AM  Show Profile
I think you'll really enjoy it. It's a very laid-back kind of book. Heck, I still don't even think I've finished it and I've had it for 3 years! I got so inspired that I ran outside, made my 'low tunnels' and forgot to come back to it! haha

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Getting Garden Beds Ready Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page