EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  10:53:19 AM  Show Profile
I have several citrus trees that have to go into the greenhouse each year. 2 years ago my husband built me a new greenhouse that is much bigger and better than what I had previously used. The problem started last year a couple of my trees started molding. It cleared up once spring came and they were back out in the open. It has come up again this year bigger than before. Several of my trees have a black mold on the leaves and trunks. I have tried to find information about control but there doesn't seem to be much out there. I have tried apple cider vinegar with the mother it did not work. Last week I read to use a very dilute mixture of hydrogen peroxide. I did that yesterday. The article said immediate results well I didn't get immediate results. Any one out there face this problem before and if so what did you do to fix it? The mold doesn't seem to be hurting the plants but it really looks bad and I don't want to loose my annual supply of oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile
I don't have experience with mold on trees but I'm surprised the ACV didn't take care of the problem, the vinegar is what can kill mold at its "roots" unlike bleach (which I don't think can be used on trees anyhow) which just wipes the mold "stem" from the surface. Thats weird, hope you find something that works

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile
What would Lime do?
I use it on my yard to sweeten the soil for moss and mold.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2012 :  6:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Victoria,

Just a thought: do you think it is 'sooty mold'? See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sooty_mold

It is fungal, but it's caused by insects leaving 'honeydew' on your plants. In other words, they are leaving residue behind which creates the environment needed for the mold to grow. Perhaps it is not so much a mold problem as an insect problem. Whiteflies are out pretty good this time of year.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  5:55:45 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen any insects in the greenhouse but I will sure take a closer look tomorrow.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  6:56:13 PM  Show Profile
I know we get that on some of our plants occasionally. Some of those darn bugs are hard to spot! :0(

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mold help please... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page