kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  12:53:15 PM  Show Profile
It does not feel at all like Jan. 6th. It's almost 70 degrees outside. I bought beet and zinnia seeds from the dollar store today. I want to go out in the garden right now and til up a few rows and plant them all. It's just so strange. Last year this time we had so much snow and it was just freezing cold. I know this will probably not last and we may even have some snow storms. But for now I can dream and plan. And maybe plant some spinach and lettuce in the cold frame anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  1:16:44 PM  Show Profile
I understand, I am in Indiana & it is 58 degrees here and sunny! I want to get out & enjoy the weather. Garden, mow the grass, sit on the porch & just hang out. We have a greenhouse business & think I am going to sow some lettuce next week, I am ready for fresh salad. It is really hard to remember that it is early January with weather like this.

Beth
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  3:46:14 PM  Show Profile
Kris: I am with you on that one. It got up to 73 degrees today. I stayed outside as much as possible, between running in to stir the vegetable soup, then running out to mow the yard, rake the leaves, etc... I loved every minute of the day. When my Sweetie (hubby) got home, I mentioned cleaning out the garden beds. Well... "it's too early for all of that" he says. Not for me. I'll have the beds ready to go. LOL Enjoy the warm weather.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile
It's funny that you posted this. My facebook status from earlier today is:

This weather does not make me happy. It makes me want my garden back.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  7:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Very odd weather indeed. It was nearly 60 today here in Missouri. I have a feeling something is going to break in the weather soon....but at least as late as it is in the season, it shouldn't be very long lived.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  05:53:36 AM  Show Profile
It's been very odd weather indeed. Here on the first day of Winter it was 81!! Between the super nice weather and all these seed catalogs I am really rearing to go!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  07:23:00 AM  Show Profile
I have some windows open today. But it's a little rainy. So there goes any tilling. I know living here that I could not plant a garden in Jan. But who knows, maybe some day. I heard on the news the other night that it's warmer in Minnisota than in Fla. And also in Col. I was just thinking how this time last year I was so cold and could not seem to get warm enough. I am so happy it's not the same now. I am going to get the cold frame ready to plant some greens. At least I'll feel like I'm gardening.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  8:00:24 PM  Show Profile
I had a customer (elderly man) tell me to plant my spinach and lettuce, broccoli (plants) on valentines day. He said the snow wont hurt them and they will do much better. Said they have done that for years. I think I might try one row. It cant be any worse than last years flooded out,replanted and burned out! Have any of you heard of planting the "cold weather" crops this early?
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  8:32:13 PM  Show Profile
I know a lot of people do it. I will be plantin peas next month straight in the garden. They will sprout nicely with a clear plastic tarp coverin them kinda like a greenhouse in the garden. I have enough plastic to start my cabbage row as well and I think I will try it.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  9:52:17 PM  Show Profile
This is all I have been thinking about, my garden. All the nice weather, things still green outside, I'm ready but I don't think mother nature is. I am thinking of trying the peas and cabbage by the end of the month and spinach and lettuce for valentines day. Maybe this will get me thru the winter months.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  2:24:43 PM  Show Profile
I've got the spring itch too here and it was only 40 today! I am in desperate need of a color fix that only flowers can give me. I guess I'll need to get to a greenhouse soon.

Dreaming in IL too!
Dawn
Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  5:44:24 PM  Show Profile
We had 70s earlier in the week and high 50s today, so I'm in the garden mood, too! Sadly, it's also monsoon season so that my garden patch is little more than a bog. I have a lot of leaves to till in as soon it dries up a bit!

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  07:17:02 AM  Show Profile
We have had some really nice days the last week too - one day it was almost 60 degrees which is unheard of here in January - a little too early to think about gardening though. I'm just going to have to make do with ordering seeds.....and I will probably order way too many as I always do:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  09:07:24 AM  Show Profile
I believe you're supposed to plant early peas in Feb. And the garden centers around here sell cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts in the fall because they really do better in the colder weather. We'll start getting early plants here the end of Feb. But now we are having lots of rain so it's way too wet to do a thing out there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile
The thing I am confused about is after the plants are up and then a snow comes do I have to run out there and cover everything up like I do tomatoes in the late spring?
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  04:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Me too, Kris! I actually already started some inside...even though I know better. I just can't help myself. Did you all get snow last night? We got a little here, but schools were called off. Hope you are well!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  05:10:26 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean, Kris. I've been itching to go clean out our raised bed and turn the soil, wash out my planter pots and check on the status of my perennials. It's been in or near the 50s by us for weeks. Today has brought me back to reality, though - severe winter storms, with about 4 inches on the ground before we got up and 4-6 more inches predicted before rush hour. I have to say I am releieved, though - heavy snows will mean less insect pests come Spring and Summer!

Back to dreaming with my seed and plant catalogs. I usually grow about 6-7 different varieties of tomatoes, and 4-5 different kinds of sweet peppers and a varying amount of hot chilies (LOVE to make salsa from produce grown right in my garden!) I also have roses, TONS of herbs and a section of grapes I put in just last year. I put up arbors for the grapes, but not sure how well they will work in the long term - we have a problem with deer, rabbits, foxes and even some coyotes now and I've had to deer fence the grape arbors pretty heavily.

I've been considering putting miniature roses in pots because I have run out of ideal places for roses in the ground.

I've given up on trying to put in lettuces or greens - no matter what I do, the rabbits gobble them up as fast as I plant them.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  09:47:09 AM  Show Profile
Lea, I have had snow and ice on Brussels sprouts and cabbage before. They don't mind at all. It makes the BS better in the cold. They are meant for colder weather anyway.

Ashley, we did not get snow right here. We had a little sleet but that's it.

Sounds like Suzanne got the snow though. It's just a little rainy here. I just hauled in 2 1/2 big wagon loads of wood in so I'll have dry wood in the next few days. We are a muddy mess here. It's all over.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

tangledthreads
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Michelle
Middle Tennessee
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2012 :  5:11:53 PM  Show Profile
I keep looking at the garden spot...but I know it's too early, right?!! haha I have to keep reminding myself!

*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´Michelle Farmgirl #85

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Mahatma Ghandi

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  05:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
in my area of Texas we hit 78 degrees yesterday!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  8:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Mine's under water right now. We just had a storm and now I have lakes out front. It's probably going to be a long time before I can do anything out there. And it's turning cold.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  8:53:01 PM  Show Profile
I was just about to head out and start working on the beds and putting together a 'tater tower when it turned nasty here...the wind is howling, the snow is blowing and I'm sitting here with wooly socks on, drinking hot spice tea!

BUT...I'm loving browsing all of the garden catalogs on line!

=)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Make eggnog not war!

Joyeux Noel!!!

'Nollaig shona duit!'

Happy Christmas!

May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door, and happiness be guided to your home by the candle of Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  9:04:00 PM  Show Profile
In Minnesota this "winter" January has been in the 40's with very little snow. We have a drought. But our temps will be below zero by mid-week. Ugh, we have to wait until April or May to plant my garden. The closest I come to a garden at the time of year is seed catalogs. But spring will come. I can dream.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  8:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Annika, my hubby was just in Idaho. They shut him down at the Heartland terminal for a day because of the snow.He was glad to get out of there. At least he was at the terminal and not on the side of the road somewhere.

We are supposed to be getting up to 3" Sat. I am so tired of all this wettness. It'll be July before I can get to my gardens. But we shall see. I always say this then there will be a week or so that it'll dry out enough to plow and get started planting. I am going to be planting extra this year for the farmer's market. I am excited about going again. It's been a few years. I need to be making soap.

Y'all stay warm!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Irishgypsy
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Stacy
Senoia GA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  3:23:57 PM  Show Profile
I have gotten my seed catalogs and have seeds from last year and just couldn't wait any longer with this weather being so nice. I have raised beds so I have all ready planted onions and in another box I have planted my lettuce. Can't wait for them to start growing. Will wait a little bit longer for my other cold varieties of veggies.

Farmgirl sister#3743
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  08:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Stacy, where is Senoia? I have never heard of it. Welcome to the forum. I haven't seen spring veggies yet at any of the garden stores here. I do have some seeds from last year too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic I just want to plant my garden Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page