oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  6:08:00 PM  Show Profile
We're an amazingly varied group of gals. I wonder what you think keeps you young at heart? What have you discovered as you've matured that has helped you the most to:
1) Keep your equilibrium!
2) Keep your faith!
3) Keep going!

I know all the usual things like don't sweat the small stuff, have faith, eat your veggies and pet the dog, but what really keeps you going and going and going? Especially when the going gets tough?

I'm gleaning your wisdom gals! Spill!
Susan

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  8:21:08 PM  Show Profile
what keeps me going is life. There are so many things to experience and things to learn that I don't want to miss anything. When I get down I get out my "humor file", a collection of cartoons and funny pictures that always get me to laugh. Laughter always helps me to remember to Live, Now!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  07:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi fellow Oregonian!

One of the things that has helped me tremendously is taking vitamin D. Truly amazing how everything looks and feels better when I've got enough in my system.

That and getting my fresh air. Even a walk in the rain is soothing when life gets me down.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile
I think just staying busy, with family, crafts, Farmgirls, bible studies, and quiet time with DH and my books. And always thankful for each day and looking ahead, the desire to keep living if theres still something in me I can give to others.

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  08:42:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Bonnie, Wendy and Brenda!
These are gems of wisdom! Exactly what I'm looking for! Keep 'em comin' ladies!
Feel free to expand on these and add more.

Here's what I'm getting so far to the answer of YOUR PERSONAL SECRETS TO STAYING YOUNG AT HEART:
1)Keeping a sense of humor, keeping a "humor file"
2)Staying involved and engaged in life, finding new interests
3)Regularly connecting and nurturing relationships with family, community, friendships
3)Getting fresh air, exercise (specifically walking), Vitamin D
4)Taking quiet time to reflect
5)Being grateful for one's blessings
6)Giving to others, serving other

Susan

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  4:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Seeing good in others, being positive, take time to smell the roses, love. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Peace of mind.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2012 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile
Something that I've discovered recently that helps me feel young at heart is yoga. I always feel more resilient and positive after a yoga session. Also watching old loony Tunes cartoons. I'll never outgrow the Roadrunner.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  08:27:46 AM  Show Profile
I second all of the farmgirl sisters wisdom - a sense of humor is invaluable, being grateful for all the things I do have - health, healthy family etc., the opportunities I've had to do something that matters have made a huge impact - an example - a work trip to New Orleans last year to help rebuild homes
And the thing that gets me through hard times is just keeping in mind that it is all temporary - that may sound flip, but I have been through some craziness in my life and it always passes, always. And even in the midst of it there were things to celebrate.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  4:33:59 PM  Show Profile
To add another secret to staying young at heart: Playing the piano, keeping your mind busy.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  2:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I vote, wholeheartedly, for:
- LAUGHING
- NURTURE RELATIONSHIPS
- MOVE IT . . or lose it!
- EXERCISE that gray matter!
- CREATE, CREATE, CREATE!!
CJ
-

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:32:23 PM  Show Profile
I am so deeply touched by our collective wisdom. Thank you so much for taking a moment to share it. It truly is an honor to know you all, if only in this 'virtual' world. The comments have been so amazing. Keep 'em coming!

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  5:02:40 PM  Show Profile
The best advice I can give is do what makes YOU happy and do it now. Don't wait for the right time because there usually isn't one. Be daring & don't worry about what other people think. I always say to myself that if I want to skateboard down the street in a big purple hat, yelling "Whoo - Hoo!", I'm gonna do it. The people who really care about me are gonna cheer me on, not stand in my way.

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  5:17:32 PM  Show Profile
For me, doing a job I love keeps me young at heart.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile
I have a file labeled "Getting Older not Old" They are stories of older people living a fruitful, active and happy life well into there 90's. The latest one is about an 85 year old Alaskan woman who saved her husband that was being stomped on by a huge moose. She grabbed the shovel from the truck and began to beat the moose with it until it ran off. Her husband survived. They don't want the moose killed, they will go back to the area to walk their dogs again. She did mention she might bring a handgun next time but then said no, I wouldn't want to hurt the moose--we'll just stay closer to the truck next time: ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  10:48:41 AM  Show Profile
That's a nice story JoAnn. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  5:08:37 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn, I love the idea of keeping a Getting Older Not Old file. And what a great story, thanks for sharing that one!
Stephanie, my grandmother used to recommend the same thing and I had sort of forgotten about that till you mentioned it.
Sylvia, I'm with you, doing work I love makes me so happy. Sometimes the simplest thing can be so rewarding.
CJ, You are right that being creative is so important, keeps the juices flowing.
Marly, you absolutely nailed it when you said looking for the positive in life and in others. Being negative gets to be a bad habit. Also you were right about playing the piano too. I have one, and I dust it, and I so seldom sit down and play anymore. After I read your post I played it for about an hour the other day and it was wonderful!
Amy Grace, thanks for the reminder to be grateful. Attitude of gratitude! And also keeping the perspective that everything passes. So true!
Cindy, I did yoga for over 15 years and I have just slowly gotten out of the habit, so thanks to you, I've gotten out the yoga mat and have been at it again. You are so right about it. It even helps with the dang hot flashes.
You all make getting older seem wonderful and full of wisdom and peace and far from being boring! I'll be 60 on Leap Year (or 15 if you only count the leaps) and I've sure been feeling my age lately. But I'm so glad I asked for your input!
Susan

Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  08:30:45 AM  Show Profile
I have told people I'm not growing old gracefully, I'm going down kickin, fightin, and screaming!! I get the weirdest looks. For me it's staying active, i like to read, crochet, knit, hike, devotionals, just about anything outside. I also like to play my bass, the Shofar, and cornet.

When I get down I like to put the music on. Or go for a ride on my motorcycle. Sometimes though I need one of my friends and just talk it out and get a great big hug, that helps a great deal. Being alone for me sometimes when I'm down is not good.
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  12:43:11 PM  Show Profile
Family, friends and music. Listen to country music day in and day out, while cleaning, doing bills, cooking. My family laughs at me while I do my chores cause you can't listen to country music without moving your bones lol. Seriously, you are nothing without your family and friends. I hope eventually I will make friends for life with "farmgirl sisterhood" that I joined.

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Wanda:I'm with you, "I'm going down "kickin, fightin, and screaming!!" I read a quote one of the farmgirls used as her tag line. It goes like this: "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo, What a Ride!'" I love that quote!!!!!! I love to play my piano. I can sit and practice for four hours and never realize how long I've been sitting practicing. Joan: Aren't these farmgirls something!!!!!!!!! Just wonderful women.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
I have lost several of my longterm or lifelong "core" women friends to various forms of cancer. They all died in ages from 30 to 55, and each one of them had dreams of doing things when they retired, or when the kids left home or whenever, but instead became ill and never realized their goals or activities planned. (Instead, many of their widowed spouses went on to live that dream out with another partner.) These women all passed away within a five year span of time and the loss was great to me. I learned quickly that each day we wake up we have the gift of life and so I enjoy even the simple things in each day, and make sure I see the world I was born into, because my dear friends were cheated of their hopeful pursuits. They all worked so hard and were so diligent, expecting that one day they would be able to go about and explore or buy a ranch or whatever they were thinking about. It is important to work and be fruitful, to raise your family if you have one, yet it is also important to create your life you are hopeful of and integrate it now. I too live from a place of gratitude and have a zest for life. We were born unto our planet home earth. Someone had a quote somewhere.."We have an inherent right to not only survive on earth, but to thrive." And I look to the cycles in plants and animals to learn each chapter has seasons to it. But I am awe and wonder of nature and that enriches my living.
Good days to you,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  4:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Annie, What a wonderful thoughtful post. You have a gift of insight and are so right about creating the life now that we are longing for. Hope deferred makes the heart sick. Seize the day!
Susan

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2012 :  4:56:56 PM  Show Profile
What keeps me you is being 52 years old with a 13 year old son. God love it.

Line Shack Farmgirl 1570
Cynthia

God bless children
Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  11:23:13 AM  Show Profile
you know I just realized why I feel young all the time lol....take a gander of this little creature....she wants to play full time . The little devil

Happy Trails
Farmgirl 3842
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  06:14:40 AM  Show Profile
What beautiful and fun thoughts!!!

I think my gkids help to keep me young and focussed!
Their humor, often their wisdom, and the way they just keep me on my toes!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

suzeeez
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

sue
monson ma.
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  06:56:18 AM  Show Profile
So ...I'm a new Farmgirl here and almost 51 years old ! I feel young at heart , I think I still look young , and laughing is one of the best things in life. I have my own little shop called Trinkets & Treasures here in Wilbraham, Mass. and I love meeting new people and chatting with them. My shop keeps me busy and so does my loving husband ,my critters ( 2 dogs, outdoor fish pond, indoor finches and firebelly frogs)and my sweet old Home 120 years old spared by the tornado that tore though my town on June 1st, 2011. I love to keep my mind healthy with some collage art and art projects with friends. I love the outdoors , gardening ,kyaking and riding my new trike ! I find escaping into different worlds like my blog http://suzeeez.blogspot.com or joining a great group like this one just keeps me going with new friends, inspirations and ideas for the future. This year I am starting my own organic vegetable garden ! Whio knows what else :o)

MonsonFarmGirl #3904
Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2012 :  09:56:01 AM  Show Profile
Kids, grandkids, pets, laughter, gardening, keeping busy.
Don't forget music!
Focusing on others. Helping others.
I agree with you all.
Personally, I am starting to embrace the whole idea of being a wise wonderful older woman. Ain't it GREAT!
I look pretty good, but it's nice not to have to worry about the latest styles, or having to wear tight jeans or high heels. Yeach!
It's fun to remind the younger ones that everything passes. Including pain.
Keeping our hearts and attitudes on the brighter side... that's the ticket.

My off-grid homestead blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
ETSY Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/OregonNatural
Blessings to you from my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Secrets to Staying Young at Heart Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page