Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jody
PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile
Dear fellow farmgirls,
We are thinking of relocating to New York State (from central PA)to either SE of Buffalo or near Syracuse/Utica. Any farmgirls from those areas? We need info on climate and insects....Thanks so much!

ruralbliss

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:08:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm about 60 miles south of Syracuse, that help? Are you new to FarmGirls?

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.

Edited by - grammytammy on Jan 25 2012 11:09:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile
I live in Buffalo, New York, feel free to email me with any questions that you may have! & welcome!
Go to Top of Page

jaka
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jody
PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I'm new to farmgirls and love it! We now live in a very rural Amish area in central PA but are looking at some great old farms in NY. Our three concerns: school district - we still have one daughter at home who will be entering 9th grade next year; climate - we love winter and snow but are hoping to not move to a very "gray" area; and insects - is there a black fly, deer fly or mosquito problem in your area? Thanks so much! My very best to you!
quote:
Originally posted by grammytammy

I'm about 60 miles south of Syracuse, that help? Are you new to FarmGirls?

FarmGirl 2495

ruralbliss
Go to Top of Page

jaka
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jody
PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2012 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile

Thank you for your hospitality! We are wondering about the weather in the Buffalo area - there are tales of long, grey winters. Snow is great, but is it always grey? Also wondering about insects - is there a black fly, deer fly or mosquito season? A lot of rain? We now live in an Amish area and hope to buy an old farm in another Amish area and have seen several SE of Buffalo. Do you know that area? We also have one daughter still at home and she will be entering 9th grade in the fall. We need a good school district with a great music/band/marching band program. We're really not fussy -- but we have to think of her! Thanks so much! Kindest regards!

quote:
Originally posted by Sue Feely

I live in Buffalo, New York, feel free to email me with any questions that you may have! & welcome!

ruralbliss
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  05:48:17 AM  Show Profile
I think I may know of the Amish area you speak of, is it in the Conawango Valley, Leon, NY? that area is my favorite to take a drive to, we visit at least a couple of times a year! I would like to live there myself! No black flies to worry about as far as I know here in my or that area, mosquitos, well I dont think they are too bad, winters not all gray but there is a lot of gray days. Schools in Buffalo to be quite honest are not good, they always get low scores in the important stuff. Private schools in Buffalo do very well. Tell me what area you are really thinking about if it is the Leon area or whereever and I will see what I can dig up! Please email me I would love to help!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  10:11:15 AM  Show Profile
Are you looking into Cattaraugus and Chatauqua Counties? The Amish area around Randolph? My mother's family is from that area and I visit regularly. There's no black fly season in Western and Central NY, and mosquitoes are normal. Black fly season is only an issue in the Adirondacks. As far as climate goes, I think the summers are a less hot than Central PA and the winters much colder and snowier. But that can vary a lot depending on altitude. It's much hillier in the southern part of the state and that makes it Zone 5 rather than Zone 6. Right along the southern coast of Lake Ontario (including the land between Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse) we're on the coastal plain--flatter, Zone 6, great fruit growing country.

You might want to also look into the Yates County (big Mennonite population) and Genesee County (between Buffalo and Rochester--Leroy and Batavia area). No Amish/Mennonites there, but lots of land surrounding nice towns.

Sorry, I can't speak to the school situation at all.

Good luck in your search!
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  1:46:56 PM  Show Profile
Binghamton/Syracuse area is very grey lots of the year. With all the rivers there are lots of mosquitos and ticks.

FarmGirl 2495
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  08:38:23 AM  Show Profile
I just moved to Buffalo so I do appreciate the info on the fly and mosquito infestation. I saw on another forum a recipe fro fly paper. Here it is:

FLY PAPER

100 ml (3 1/2 oz) corn syrup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
6 strips brown paper (cut from a paper bag)

Combine the syrup & sugars in a shallow bowl.
Poke a hole at the top of each strip of brown paper. Soak paper in the syrup mixture over night.
Scrape paper strips across the edge of the saucer to remove excess syrup & hang the finished fly paper strips near windows & doors.
Replace when strips are covered.
Go to Top of Page

jaka
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jody
PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile
Dear farmgirls,
Thanks to all who have responded - I always knew farmgirls were the most helpful and generous! Yes, the 'Buffalo' area we are looking at are the two counties: Cattaraugus and Chatauqua and even more specifically, Conawango Valley, Leon, NY. We want this to be the last move we ever make so we are being extremely cautious. Our daughter also rides hunter/jumper and we've been unable to find that style of riding in these areas - so that is a big concern. Is anyone familiar with NY school district policies? If there is someting offered in one district (marching band) that is not offered in another, can you opt to go to the different district if you provide your own transportation? Thank you all for whatever information you can supply! Happy weekend!

ruralbliss
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2012 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile
Jaka - one thing you might try doing to find out more info on the areas your thinking of is to go on the internet and plug in for example Cattaraugus County, New York, there should be a listing for the chamber of commerce in that area, they will send you all types of info for that county. We did this for Savannah Georgia as we are thinking of retireing there!
Go to Top of Page

jaka
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jody
PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  11:03:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Jaka - one thing you might try doing to find out more info on the areas your thinking of is to go on the internet and plug in for example Cattaraugus County, New York, there should be a listing for the chamber of commerce in that area, they will send you all types of info for that county. We did this for Savannah Georgia as we are thinking of retireing there!

ruralbliss
Go to Top of Page

jaka
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jody
PA
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile
Dear Sue,
Thanks for the great suggestion. I'm doing it right now...Hope you love Savannah!

quote:
Originally posted by jaka

quote:

ruralbliss

ruralbliss
Go to Top of Page

wandaj
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wanda
Buffalo NY
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2012 :  09:00:23 AM  Show Profile
A while ago we were discussing black flies and other pests in the area. I found this neat site for how to get rid of flies, maybe this will help.
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic new york state farm girls? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page