Page: of 2

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  06:50:17 AM  Show Profile
We had a nice warm winter for the longest time, but then Mother Nature decided she was done being nice on the same day we moved!! We went from lovely 50-60* clear days to gusty 10-20* with sleet and ice overnight. Oh well, the soil needs a good freeze. I am still super antsy for my first garden in three years! I bought some cold weather seeds yesterday, and I have seen a few mentions about using plastic wrap as mini-greenhouses. I may adapt that idea for the basement window well. A nice plastic cover and a bottle of warm water should get some lettuce sprouting!

(Gardening is the best kind of disease, right up there with canning!)

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  07:42:29 AM  Show Profile
We finally got a little snow this winter and cold temps to go with it but this whole winter has been so extremely mild like in the 40s! I've been getting my seed catalogs too and busy planning out what to plant this year. This year I'm going to keep my garden simple and be realistic especially having 3 kids under 3! Since they are getting old enough to "help" I'm going to plan my small stuff in containers so it's easier for me to get to them quickly and also I won't have to worry about them getting trampled in the garden by little feet :) I'm going to plant a sunflower house for them too! Can't wait for summer, although I've been enjoying being in the house with all the family time and getting some "inside" projects done and started :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2012 :  8:25:10 PM  Show Profile
It's been surprisingly mild in Tennessee this year, but our truly cold weather is usually in January and February. It's really tempting to try to put out something, but I'll just have to content myself with the seed catalogs for a while yet.

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, so sorry about the cold on your moving day. I remember our first move when our kids were little to a bigger house. In January. In the snow. But it had to be. We had to be out of ours and we had to push them out of our new house. And it was COLD! Next time we moved was in July. Totally opposite with temps in the very high 90's. I hope your seeds come up soon and you have all kinds of good things to eat.

Krystle, I guess you are a busy momma. I always wanted to do a trellis tent with pretty scarlet runnwe green beans and sunflowers. So much fun! I know you kids would enjoy playing inside the tent on hot days.

Nancy, I know what ya mean. We are right below Chatt. and we have been very mild. I think I'd rather have the freezing than all this mud. I want to get a concrete truck to come pour concrete paths to all the animals. I am seriously thinking about doing that when it dries out enough to get a truck out here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2012 :  3:24:53 PM  Show Profile
I will be doing mostly farmer's markets this year becaus eI have enough food in the freezers and canned to last a few more years. I am excited to do the farmer's markets again. It's been a few years since I last went. I hope to be selling lamb in the fall as well as produce and fruits. And hopefully whole wheat breads and rolls too. And maybe some cheeses?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic I just want to plant my garden Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page