CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey Girls, My chicken eggs have weak yolks does anyone have any info on why this is happening?

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  09:36:40 AM  Show Profile
how old are they and what are you feeding them? just thinking sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile
If you mean pale yellowy yolks they are needing more omega 3...Which you can get to them by flaxseed, canned tuna in water, fish oil capsules...just know that if you over give flaxseed & fish oil capsules they will have fishy tasting & smelling eggs....For every 5 chickens use 1 fish oil capsule peirced & squeeze it over the dry feed.....mix in very well, do once a day for 5-7 days....flaxseed use no more than a 1/4 cup mixed in dry feed for up to 5 days...once daily on both...the tuna use 1 can per 10 hens with the water...do not mix it in the feed but put it in separate little bowls & run like the dickens cause they will mob you & go crazy over it...they only need a small bit for it to help for the days you put it out....just make sure each one gets at least a taste of it for those days....
Also increase the protein & calsuim........you can get plain old human calsuim tablets at the drug store where you can also find the fish oil tablets...grind them up & use 1/8 teaspoon per 5 chickens mixed in the dry feed.....do that up to 3 days per week.
protein can be added by using beef/meat broths mixed in with their morning feed...........or if the eggs smell fishy from too much fish oils cook those up for the chickens & feed that to them....another good protein is sunflower seeds unshelled thrown out with their scratch.............

if you can not do any of this listed above go to the drug store & buy some liquid baby vits.........you can use that each morning all thur the colder months daily....2 big drops per 5 chickens....best to do this with a wet feed...just wet the feed down with warm water every morning or early afternoon...add the drops & mix well...chickens seem to love their feed wet so try & have a few different dishes in different areas so they don't all crowd around the one feed dish...this way everyone can have some....
I hope this will help you but know that even though your eggs have lighter yokes they are still healthier than what you get at the grocery store......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  7:46:32 PM  Show Profile
Whow. Lots of good info. I have been making sure the coupe is clean. Clean water. Freash bedding. I feed lay crunbles I added a flock block this week. And they have oyster shells. They seem happy. And the weather has been cool and warm not normal weather for us. Thanks Girls! I really Appriciate the info.

Happy trails
Line SHACK farmgirl !570
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  08:24:29 AM  Show Profile
Um, actually the light color of the egg yolk is due to lack of beta cartene. This time of year most people have less grass for their chickens to feed on. Chickens don't need a bunch of extra stuff to produce good eggs. If you don't have a lot of greens this time of year just pick up a bale of alfalfa and toss them a a little bit each week to pick at.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  1:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Ms. Lilly, thank you for adding that about the hay, I forgot since I have it out for them all year around...sometimes the ole brain forgets these important things....xoxo...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  08:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Hey Girls. Thanks for the info. You know its not that the eggs are light in color its that the yolks when I would go to cook them would break really easy. It wasnt normal. I do think with the extra care they are doing better.

Thanks everyone Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

CCChristen
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Cynthia
Lockwood CA
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  08:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I feed lay crumbles, and veggie scrapes, I did add a Flock Block witch they loved. and added oyster shells. I make sure they are clean and clean water.

Thanks
Cytnia
Line Shack Farmgirl #1570
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chicken eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page