Page: of 2

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  7:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a religious person and I'm not intending to start a religious post here, but have a very important question for all of the church-goers here:

Can you knit in church?

My husband and I plan to attend a Unitarian church this fall to "try it out" and I just wondered about it because I so love sitting and listening and singing and knitting... And because I am one of those folks who knits everywhere, including in line at the DMV. (When the small babe is not with me, that is...)

I grew up in a Roman Catholic setting where it would NOT have been okay to knit. I did attend a Unitarian church a few years ago (once or twice) and knit way in the back just so I wouldn't offend anyone.

Just curious as to what you all think. Would you be offended to see someone knitting in church or would you not think twice about it?

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I'n my church we are not supposed to do that it has even been mentioned from the pulpit. But I crochet and no one says anything. That is more because I always have hand work And the first week I was in this church ( moved into) I told everyone I do hand work all the time I focus better with it I am figitty with out it and everyone was good with that. A visiter to the church might give me weird looks but I don't care it is who I am and God likes me that way or he wouldn't have made me that way. ( yes I am a religious). Just be comfortable in your own skin it is who you are.

My bishop even told me it was fine he understood.

It is also the size of the project. Mine are small meaning unless you are sittting with in three people of me left to right and one pue ( sp) forward and back directly in front or behind me you would never know what I am doing. Because it is small work my hands don't make big movements.

Also I can crochet without looking at my hands so I rearly look at my work, about every 7 or 8 stitches just as a habbit not as need. I would never make a big blanket in church or any thing like that or quilt a quilt.

But I would bast little hexagons for grandmothers flower garden. Yo'yos are to big. The item has to be totaly consealed with in my hands for me to make it.

People actually come up to me now at the end of church and say I know you always make something can I see todays item. It makes a nice conversation after church and people don't ask me during so they are not distracted. I also would not share with them during as that would distract me and them.

I also would never work on something I was going to trade with someone on sunday or sell to someone. I don't want to profit on the lords day. I only do family gifts and items I want to keep.

I hope this all made since.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 26 2006 08:27:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:14:01 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I would feel comfortable knitting in our church so I never have. Never have seen anyone else do it either. I knit or do some sort of handwork anywhere else though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  9:21:58 PM  Show Profile
I used to cross stitch in church during the message. I didn't start until the singing/praise/prayer time was over...but when the preacher started, I settled in and stitched. I did raise a few eyebrows, but if you knew me you'd know I'm pretty unconventional about such things. My understanding is that the Unitarians are pretty liberal, so I can't imagine it would be a problem. As long as you aren't making a big production I'd say no big deal. At most churches around here people carry coffee & danish into the sanctuary thesedays...my .02
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  04:51:28 AM  Show Profile
I've not ever knit in church. Truthfully, it has never occured to me to do that. I think it would distract me from the message that is being given. When I knit or crochet, I sort of go into my own little world, thinking about what I am working on, what's for dinner, why did the dog drag the trash all over the kitchen 2 minutes before I had to leave........No, I don't think that would work for me.
It's a reverence thing- that is the time I get to focus on the messages given and think about the Savior and Heavenly Father, and how all of this fits in my life. It deserves my full attention.

Karin

Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  05:46:20 AM  Show Profile
You can at our church, there's only one or two other people besides me that do, but no one bats an eye. To me it doesn't take my attention away from the sermon, it helps me focus more, and I'm getting something accomplished at the same time, I love to multi-task!

BTW, I'm our church secretary, and the pastors say it doesn't bother them.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  08:42:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm Episcopalian, so like the Catholics we're up and down a lot, and we use a prayerbook. For that reason I don't think it'd work. But I don't think anyone in our congregation would mind if somebody knew the prayers well enough to just say them and did handwork at the same time. Nobody much messes with anyone else's worship needs, as long as it doesn't mess with theirs. We're old fashioned, but a pretty tolerant bunch.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile
In all honesty, I wouldn't knit, etc., in church, and I wouldn't be "offended" if you did, but I don't think it's a good idea for a couple of reasons.

First of all, I've been knitting for years and although it seems almost mindless, I realize when I really stop to think that it's not. I do, no matter how almost-unnoticably, mentally "count" or think through my stitches. That probably doesn't make sense -- it's hard to put into words. I do not concentrate as fully on a speaker in any situation -- church, workshop, TV, radio, etc. -- when I'm doing another task at the same time. Instead, I take notes on the main points, the Scripture or any other books referred to, etc.

Secondly, even if it's not distracting to you, it is most probably distracting to others. I know that even when I'm interested in something like a TV program or a concert, that if someone near me is making gestures/movements (like knitting, tatting, etc.), the movement draws my attention. I think it's human nature for many of us. Ask yourself how often, when you knit or whatever in a public setting like a doctor's waiting room, do you notice others watching you or how often others ask questions or comment. I wouldn't knit in church because I don't want, in any way, to be a distraction to others.

That's just my $.02, for what it's worth!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  12:22:52 PM  Show Profile
I do not knit but I do attend church. PERSONALLY - I would get distracted if someone near me was knitting. I have A.D.D. and even the smallest things make me lose my attention. I try not to sit near children even because when they draw or move or eat snacks or whisper I totally lose my focus! But that is me. RELIGIOUSLY (BIBLICALLY) - I don't think it says "Thou shalt not knit in church" so Its your judgement call. I think God would appreciate our FULL attention for at least 1-2 hours a week and I would tend to lean towards the side that says to leave it at home. Or atleast in your purse once the service begins.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  2:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I think it would be WONDERFUL!!! I don't know of anyone in our church that currently knits or crochets, but I have thought about bringing my coiled basket project with me. it's small and I can do it without spending too much attention to it.

I can't think of anyone in our church that would be offended at all. (I attend the Church of the Nazarene - an offshoot of the Methodist or as I like to say, "A Methodist with attitude for the Lord!"

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  3:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I forgot to mention that my children, husband and I always sit on the front pue/bench (sp). Almost no one ever sits there except for us and our neighbor. The people who sit behind me are 90 yrs plus and have pretty much adopted my family as theirs and then the speakers those are the only people that can see what I am doing. Even the speakers don't mind ( I have asked), but like my kids they are use to it and me. I have been in this ward of my church for 3 1/2 years.

my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 25 2006 3:24:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  3:04:55 PM  Show Profile
I haven't been to church in a while, but I think it is wonderful too. I think handwork is a lost art and I think it sets a good example no matter where you are. I have a very hard sitting anywhere for a length of time without something to occupy my hands. I even get fidgety at movies. Doing something with my hands helps me focus, not the opposite. If you have any doubts, ask the pastor - I'm sure he'd be honest with you. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  3:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Best just to ask you still may get weird looks or you may have people say My grandmother use to do that thank you it made me feel like she was here today. I get that one, funny I don't look like a grandma mid 30's

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 25 2006 3:29:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  4:26:07 PM  Show Profile
I think that if you are not distracting to others , so they can concentrate...then it should be fine. I am a PK (pastor's kid) and I myself have embriodered in church. It is usually when I am only doing the whole piece in black thread and it is small. This way I do to have to worry about changing thread colors. It is also when I in the back of the church. Nobody would even know I am doing it...except God...we can't escape Him.

What's more distracting to me than someone sewing or knitting is when people put their arm around their wife or husband and proceed to give them a back rub and/or scalp rub as if they are in bed together...good grief! Save it for the bedroom.

One week I noticed a teenage girl who's low cut pants had slipped down and you could see the top 3" of her throng underwear. With the shirts being as short as they are and the pants riding so low...heavens to betsy what is there left? My pastor says he hates summer because the women go around so scantly clad and it is hard for men to keep from lusting. I agree...some of these clothes have gotten ridiculous! It looks like ladies are in their loungerie when they are in the supermarket.

Well, off of my soap box for now...Hope I have not offended anyone.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"

Edited by - Photobugs on Aug 25 2006 9:54:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile
I too am the type of person that I have to be busy with my hands in order for my mind to be calm. I think it's a great idea. Isn't there a saying "Hands to work, hearts to God"? I see nothing wrong with knitting or whatever in church.

I tend to worry more about what God thinks of me rather than what others think of me. I would just relax and enjoy yourself in church and like someone else mentioned, it would probably be a great conversation starter too.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  4:52:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I'd do any hand work in church service (we're Methodists), but wouldn't hesitate to do so during (one of the many) meetings. While I understand the desire to "keep busy", I agree with Patti that it does take some concentration and may be a distraction to others. Also, that clicky-clack of knitting needles would really bug me! I doubt I'd crochet either, just from the distracting others standpoint.
Now you have my 2 cents too!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  7:10:33 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about knitting in church. I work in the yarn department at ACMoore and have made friends with many a knitter. One came in Thursday night and told me she prays for all red lights when she's driving to work in the morning so she can knit! I don't know how much she gets done at a red light....but she seemed happy! I go to a Bible church and I've never seen anyone knit. I guess it's up to you! Susan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  12:27:14 AM  Show Profile
I personally would not knit in church. Not sure how I'd feel about someone else doing it. When I go to church and the pastor preaches I want to be able to concentrate on the message and teaching. I have my Bible open and take lots of notes on what he is saying. I agree with Karin -- this is my time to focus on God and spend it in worship.

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 26 2006 12:32:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  06:08:49 AM  Show Profile
I would definitely knit in church, if I went (hehehe). Knitting is well-known to be a meditative practice, bringing one into a more contemplative state. I can see knitting and church going together hand-in-hand.

I think it's a lot less obtrusive than other things people do in church. I think that finding the right place to knit in church has a lot to do with it... I wouldn't sit around people if I saw that it bothered them, just like I wouldn't want to sit around someone writing notes furiously- that would bother me.

Follow the people around you and their lead! The UU church is fairly relaxed.

:)Kim (who owes you a pen pal letter, I know...
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  06:12:59 AM  Show Profile
Quick question: What is a UU church? Susan
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  06:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Unitarian Universalist. Very liberal, usually, and non-liturigcal.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  08:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful advice - from all sides! Thanks for your open and honest opinions, I would expect nothing less from my Farmgirl friends. :)

I think I will continue to knit in church when we return this weekend for the following reasons:

* Yes, the UU church is a relaxed one...
* I do find that knitting helps me to relax and focus on the speaker - I don't count or pay attention to my knitting, it just becomes an extension of my hands at that are always moving.
* Sunshine said to "be comfortable in my own skin" and my skin knits! (Thanks Sunshine!)

I will however, follow the advice to make sure that I'm not distracting others and will keep it small. I will definitely not work on the huge full-size afghan on size 13 60" circulars that I've been working on for almost five years! Maybe a baby bootie.

Speaking of babies, I will only be able to knit if he likes the church daycare option! Otherwise, I'll be one of "those moms" who is distracting everyone in a different way. But God - in all its many forms - loves babies, right?

Thank you, Farmgirls!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  08:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I hope what ever you do turns out right for you and those around you. It is nice that you are concerened for others feelings and respect their sacred intents at church

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  09:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Catherine -- I think that you will be fine knitting. If it centers you then that's what's important. God definitely loves babies!!!! That is one of my pet peeves about church -- that we feel that we have to take the babies and children out of the services. I know that a crying child can be distracting but children won't learn to how to behave in church if they aren't exposed to it. When I was young there we no nurseries or children's church. Everybody was together on Sunday morning.

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  11:19:34 AM  Show Profile
That is one thing I LOVE about my church...all the kids are right there...babies and all. It IS noisier..but better I think.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2006 :  11:30:40 AM  Show Profile
I agree Jenny!! We adore babies in our ward, crying and whining and all!! (And we have a bunch right now. Must be something in the water!) If children are never exposed to reverence when they are young, how else do they learn it? I love that we have children of all ages with us to partake of the spirit of the meeting!

Karin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Can you knit in church? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page