Page: of 3

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  07:16:11 AM  Show Profile
It seems that when I make my appointment with God to study His word, everything in the world starts to interupt me. I know this is the old devil trying hard to pull me away from what would be good, wholesome, and uplifting for me. God has blessed me so much and I talk to Him during the day as if He is right beside me...and He is...Now that my children are all out of the house, my little dog and I confer on many things. We talk about God's goodness and His ever faithfulness. What more do we need? May you feel His presence today!! Smiles, Beth

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile
You are so right Beth in that the interruptions when studying God's word is the Devil himself. I need to be more mindful of that because it seems my life is full of interruptions!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:51:31 AM  Show Profile
There is a scripture that I like from the New Living Translation (©2007). It is Romans 5:3. It says: "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance." Endurance, strength, stick-to-it-iveness...I too am troubled by interruptions after DH goes to work. The dogs bark as though someone is here, the phone rings, the washing machine finishes its cycle, I remember I was to do something early..and finally remember. I try to think of those things that may interrupt and take care of them quickly so I can have my time. there are alot of things that can wait, or a phone call that can be returned, but if we think it important enough for our life, we will ignore all else. I am trying to remember, that God never forgets me, and I need to spend time with Him where I can LISTEN for what He has to say to me. O consider the interruptions as a test of sorts...what do I think is more important. I hope that I choose God.

Good morning Julia. I have thought about you and your tractor, hats and of course your family. I will write to you personally and not lose this forum to catch up. Blessings, ladies!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Interesting to read all the posts in the topic for this week. A few thoughts I had in reading them.
1. I have had a problem in the past with "legally doing" my Bible study everyday. Doing it but not getting anything from it or getting closer to God. So it is a challenge to do it with the right purpose in mind.

2. For those of you who love the "covers" in the morning... One of our pastors said something that has stayed with me.. "God loves your sacrifices."

Tammy

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  04:26:18 AM  Show Profile
I personally am not part of this study, but I wanted to say. There is many reasons why people can choose to read the Bible. Please never discourage any one to read the Bible. As the Bible says itself-it is alive!

I DO believe the Bible is the word of God, holy, and definitive. OTOH, just because some one questions it, is no need to throw that person out. Many people questioned God, and his word through out time. God is not partial and wants ALL to attain every lasting life, and come to a accurate knowledge of him. So yes, EVEN those doubters/unbelievers should still be encouraged to read the Bible, and "study" it.

In my own religion, we often have stories of faith related, either verbally or written in our magazines. Many people who have came to know God, began by questioning God's true existence and the validity of the scriptures. By studying the Bible in a way to prove believers wrong, many have came to know God and actually believe! Again, cause it is alive, and powerful! So let's never make assumptions of ones motives, even if they are not what we would want them to be, we never know what or how God is directing them and drawing them to him.

While it's nice to stay on a topic, I just can't imagine Jesus saying, sorry you came up and asked me a question that is off the topic I am going to talk about today so go away! And Christian literally means to be Christ like.

I personally never want to debate or argue scripture, but if any one has genuine questions, I don't mind sharing my understanding with the scriptures that I know. But, beware that I believe the Bible is divine truth and will always use it as my answers. At the same time because I believe that, I can also see things outside the Bible that reinforce my beliefs in it's truth.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jan 11 2012 04:27:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1420 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1420 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  5:41:24 PM  Show Profile
I've just joined the study and am catching up. I just finished reading Topic 1, and I have always had a fairly consistent quiet time with God...until my third came. I'm homeschooling, working two nights a week and between that and taking care of my one year old plus the other two, it's very busy here. I can't get up earlier cause I already wake up with the youngest between 5 and 5:30 each day and at night I'm falling asleep as I'm reading or praying as I'm so tired. I suppose health issues have a lot to do with that as well. During the day, it's nearly impossible to find more than 5 minutes to myself on a regular basis. Is there any advice on how I can have a consistent time with God each day, for at least 15 minutes?
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  04:04:22 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I do is not have a set time. As my children get older, I will, but I'll set the timer on my watch and whenever it goes off I see if I can get away for a few moments. If not, then I reset the timer for what might be a better time. If I'm coming up on the third time I set the timer, I explain to the kids that I need some time and depending on the day, I may allow them some extra tv time. I do this with my yoga practice, hula hoop time, walking, anything I need to do (I can include the kids in yoga, etc, but the timer keeps it fresh on my brain). In all honesty, I had no idea how I relied on my watch..lol! Guess I just found a new thing to be thankful for:)

This helps me, but may sound like your worst nightmare. If things were calmer in the house something beeping at me would make me crazy, but my kids are always beeping at me, anyway..lol.

Much love,

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1420 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1420 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  04:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea Ashley! I have an oven timer, not a clock timer, so that is definitely an idea! I guess my main difficult is not so much the reading, but the prayer time. I find I need it to be quiet, and I don't have to worry about what the other kids are doing...heehee
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  07:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Ashley!! You do hula hooping? I think I'm going to scream with bliss!!! I have not picked up the practice. When I was younger..as in a LOT younger I LOVED hula-hooping. I think you've just inspired me to reach out to my inner little girl goddess and do this again!! How fun fun fun!!!

Joyfulmelodies...forgive me if this is just too absurd..but I have keep these baskets of books in my bathroom. Just daily meditational things. Most of them in the Buddhist tradition but I'm sure there are Christian and biblical books of this sort as well. I read the little meditation for the day while I'm....well, you know! and I'm telling you, this often 1 minute deal carries with me for the entire day! I keep books in my car too...I'm juggling kids (10 8 and 5) doing the taxi cab driving thing but with this strange little practice I feel like everything I do has been touched somehow by those meditative prayers.

Sometimes I think we convince ourselves that we need a good hour for proper devotion. I suppose that would be awesome..but when we are devoting ourselves to raising decent human beings, healthy food, creating an environment that is welcoming, open and loving, it is very challenging to carve out THAT kind of time. It is essential therefore to be certain that everything we do is in 'mindfulness'. All that means is being present to what you are doing in that moment. So often, we're washing the dishes to get to the next thing..we're putting away clothes to hurry and run down to pop in another load. Instead, presence and mindfulness is to take a moment from that ever-clicking check list and just be fully engaged in what you are doing in that moment...

Here's celebrating the you both! ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1420 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1420 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  09:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Julia! I like the idea of the basket...heehee! And you're right...today while driving to the grocery store my kids were quiet so I used that time to pray to God about some things that were on my heart. I suppose I just need to do away with the idea of having a 15-30 minute quiet time with God right now, and just take advantage of every moment I get throughout the day!
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  04:52:26 AM  Show Profile
I do hula hoop! I love it, too. In all honesty I only started about a year ago. I really like to be healthy, but can't stand the idea of typical blah blah exercise, so I deceided to make it fun. I made a hoop for all three boys and turned up some loud good music and started dancing away. The boys are not super interested, but they have a hoop just in case they want to participate:) Right now I'm working on learning how to hoop around my thighs....this is a funny sight with my big ol' pregnant belly...lol! I think you should start hooping again. It really does bring out the inner child and a sense of freedom to be silly and fail...if you yoga, they go perfect together...

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  07:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Joyce~ It am firmly aware of the Divine in all things at all times so it is essential that everything I do be in that vain. Why? If I stray from this awareness for even a moment, I become careless. What does it mean to be careless? For me, carelessness translates into hurriedness, urgency, snippiness, barking at my kids, impatience and all kinds of other ridiculous teachers that come up to remind me of how I've wandered.

I'm glad you were so aware of the quiet descending in your car..What an invitation to be present to the Divine. I often think of the great mystic Julian of Norwich. She is famed for saying, "...All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well", but I like even more, "The beauty of God is in all things." For some reason when I think of those words, suddenly everything I do, everything I see, every everything brings me closer to the presence of God...Here's celebrating your beauty....for you know its genesis indeed. ~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  3:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of hula hoops, have y'all tried making one? There are a few girls that make the prettiest hoops at the Chattanooga market. Then I saw someone who made some on their blog with directions. I went to the hardware and got the 1" black plastic pipe and some really colorful electrical tape and let my grandkids make their own. You can do all kinds of embellishments with them as well. This gets the kids into hula hooping and some great excercise to boot!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Topic 1: Jan. Bible Study Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page