prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  06:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
Thank you for visiting our blog. Brenda (classy gram) and I are hoping for being more faithful with blog postings as well this year. We desire it to be a place where women can just be themselves and know that No matter where we are at in life? God loves us just as we are!!

I am so thankful for this study and my farmgirl sisters!

I am trying to get up earlier each am for time with Him! Often when that alarm goes off? Just want to pull those covers back on??! Lol!
Yet our time with Him is precious and we are the ones that truly lose when we don't set aside the time.
I have been a believer for many years....... Yet wasted a lot of time in listening to Him, learning from Him, certainly trusting and honestly giving Him total control.

It is my hearts desire to Really grow in my walk with Him and really study His word.
I so look forward to learning from each of you here!!

I hope everyone has a great day today . Prayers for your day!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  07:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
Hi girls! So glad to be here! I believe it is super important to have a time to sit down and read the Bible and listen to what God has to say through the Bible. It's our instruction book for life! I too am guilty of not reading it enough and have every intention of digging my heels in and doing it more frequently. Mornings are awful hard for me especially during the winter since it is dark and cold. It takes a little more effort to get up and get going. God knows that (probably better than me)! So I'm thinking that reading at night before going to sleep will work. I walk and talk with Him through the day. Knowing that God has gifted me to be a teacher, I spend the greater part of my days with Him moving through me to do that. It's worship back to Him for that gift.
Ashley, sometimes we don't think we hear God because it's not as audible as the person sitting next to us. However, I think when you know what the right thing to do or the right thing to say or the voice inside talking to you...that's Him. I would venture to say that the bad things that the inner voice says are most definitely NOT Him. He's good and pure...the good and pure things are Him. He told you to start up this Bible study!

Robin
Farmgirl Sister #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!

my mama's (ceejay48) craftiness ~ www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
my daddy's craftiness ~ www.aspenforge.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Very true, Robin. God did insist I start a Bible study:)

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile
I've given these questions some thought through the days, and I'm sorry, this answer may be a little long. First of all, thank you Ashley, for this study.

Several have given how they communicate with God...at a specific time.. or all day long. In the past, my problem was always taking time...not to be distracted or have a one-way cpmversation with God..me doing all the talking, but to wait patiently and listen.

In the scriptures suggested..the time of Samuel, Isaiah & John,there were fewer external disturbances ours being TV, radio, I pod, tweet/text, or computer. People may have listened to another, or the wind, their sheep, the laps of the waves against their boat etc so that it might have been easier to hear "that still small voice" that we tend to drowned out each day. Or maybe it is a hobby, a good book, or something that takes our mind from the Lord and places it elsewhere.

I am up at 4 am to get my DH breakfast and lunch, before he leaves for work. My diversion then, is to listen to the news of what has happened overnight. My bad habit is to leave the TV/radio on. After 40+ years of working, I have felt intitled. However, that is my best time for me to have my "quiet time." So... I am trying to read His Word and learn a bit each day. For instance, I was struck by the verse "Taste and see that the Lord is good," Ps 34:8. Taste.. is that just to touch Him with my spiritual tongue on the tip? Is it to nibble? As I meditated, I realized I was to experience the whode taste... sweet, sour, and saltyness of God.. to understnad His nature, character and ways (as the benefits section suggested. It is hard to be patient (for me) and try to meditate on what He may want to say. So..for me..quiet time is early morn without external intrusions.

In Samuel, he heard God talk to him about how Saul had turned away, and became full of himself enough to build a monument. Samuel heard because since he was a baby, he had been raised in an atmosphere of prayer and learning of God. One can be in that atmosphere or raised in the church and not take that opportunity,

As far as hearing from God, there have been many times that reading His word..something jumps out and strikes me that had never before when I had read it. There has been twice, that the "unspeakable" sentences of God have been so loud I thought I may have heard them with my physical ears. One time many many years ago I was waiting for my 1st husband to return home. He was very late. As I was folding clothes, I heard..."Ask God to trust Him more." I became scared but I did what was said. About 15 min. later my husband
returned to tell me he had been with another woman and wanted a divorce. Although extremely extremely hard, I knew God was with me and carried me through the next 2 years.

God has never slapped me down, but in the midst of being down, He has held my hand, showed me correction and helped me up. For me, the conversation (listening and praying) is a necessity for my whole life.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl Sister #870 @}~~
"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." DL Moody

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  3:15:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by buffypuff

In the scriptures suggested..the time of Samuel, Isaiah & John,there were fewer external disturbances ours being TV, radio, I pod, tweet/text, or computer. People may have listened to another, or the wind, their sheep, the laps of the waves against their boat etc so that it might have been easier to hear "that still small voice" that we tend to drowned out each day. Or maybe it is a hobby, a good book, or something that takes our mind from the Lord and places it elsewhere.

I never really thought of it this way, but it is very true. I wonder if the people of that time lived in almost a meditative state? I understand how busy they were just trying to live, but I've often done "walking meditation" and found it very calming. It is much easier for me to understand what it is that I need to do when I have proper time outside.

Great insight.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting this. I'll try (real hard) to find a "quiet" time here to read this. We tend to have a very busy, loud and chaotic household. The porch is out of the question now that we have winter. I can't wait to see spring again so I can have my "porch prayer" time back.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Say, I just read the daily email devotional that Rick Warren sends out. He is the one who wrote " The Purpose Driven Life." The title is "We are made to hear God's voice." I have copied his words here for you to read.
“God does speak—sometimes one way and sometimes another—even though people may not understand it.” (Job 33:14 NCV)
God designed you to hear his voice. In a sense, there is a “receiver” in you that allows you to get guidance from God.

What channels does God use? The primary way that God speaks is through the Bible. This is why we need to read the Bible every day. God’s will is found in God’s Word.

God also speaks through godly Bible teachers. Have you ever been in church or at a Bible study and you feel like the teacher is speaking directly to you? In that moment, God is speaking directly to you.

God also speaks through other Christians. He even speaks through you. If you’ll stay in tune to him and learn his Word, sometimes God will use you to say things to people that he wants to say to them. It’s not something special reserved only for pastors; God speaks through every believer at different times.

God also speaks through your circumstances and your pain. God is speaking all the time. But we must listen. Tune in to God and he will lead you on the right path.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  12:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Excellant Claudia...don't you just love Rick Warren?

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  1:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Does God speak only to Christians?

Is the voice of God heard only if one follow this particular scripture?

How does one reconcile the infinite nature of God and by virtue the infinite nature of God's voice through language and religions such that we convince ourselves there is only one way to reach Him?

Can something so vast, be held in only one vessel?

Mother Theresa said, "It is in the silence of the heart that you hear the voice of God."

A great Zen teaching suggests that God hides in the heart...the last place people tend to look.

The verses you selected in your introduction are broad, which resonate deeply.

The verse from the Gospel of Mark is also poignant to the Truth I think you are seeking to define.

Regarding Topic 1 your verses from Isaiah and Samuel again are broad suggesting the openness of God. The verses from the Gospel of John, on the other hand, close the door to this openness from my point of view. They tell only John's perspective on how to hear the voice of God and that is through Jesus. Jesus alone. There is no room for poetry in the voice of John which is in vast contrast to the magnificent metaphors we see all over the Bible. John's last question is beautiful, "Does it lead to a growing freedom and maturity in Christ?" I love that. Gives me chills. Now the question it creates in me is 'what is my Christ potential and can this be achieved only through the 4 synoptic gospels?'

Thank you for the thought-provoking ideas. I love these kinds of discussions. Blessings~julia hayes

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I love sheep and can relate to sheepy things. Jesus used sheep alot when He was talking about his people. I don't claim to know alot. In fact, I would love to be full of wisdom and be able to say all kinds of wise wonderful things to people who doubt. If you read John chapter 10 he speaks of his sheep knowing his voice. He is referring to us who follow him. I believe he speaks to everyone, but only those who are his will hear him. And know who He is and follow him. John 10: 22-30 kind of explains all this. You sound very knowledgable is so many things. I hope and pray one day you come to truely know God.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I have read thru the comments and have learned from and enjoyed them all.

Claudia- enjoyed Pastor Warrens comments. I get his daily email too. It's great!

I find a quieter theme thru most of the scripture readings. Themes of trust, obedience , faith in listening to that small or large voice of God that guides us. Trusting even when what we feel He wants us to do, makes no sense to us. As when Abraham was willing to sacrifice his precious son. Daniel continued in his daily time of prayer, even tho he knew the new law that he had to go thru the king first. He still prayed, put His God first , and trusted that God would lead, guide, and take care of Him.

It is soooo very true that with so many distractions, noise etc..... It is often harder and harder to hear Him. We are so easily distracted today with just plain life and all that gets in our way.

I think, for myself, I need to make the time, make the quiet and yes as was said before... If we seek and put Him first everything else just seems to fall into place.

I read James 2:17 out of The Message translation. What hit me was the very end of the passage. 'God talk withou God acts is outrageous nonsense'.
That really struck me. As we read all these verses , we are reminded how very true that is!
Personally it is something I really need to work on. As a young believer I was so eager to find the time, so hungry to learn!! My actions reflected more of my faith, more childlike I think? Which He asks of us. As I am older, had the 'knocks of life' so to speak... My actions of what I believe are less obvious?

Something maybe for all of us to think about? How much better the world could see Him, hear His voice, if Our actions reflected more of our faith each day.

I really need to think and pray about these things. Thank you everybody for your thoughts!
Have enjoyed all the sharing! So love Farmgirls!!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Kris~ what lovely response you shared and I will certainly review that part of John you suggested. I fear you have misinterpreted my questions, however. I have no doubts about God. I just question the way God has been packaged. I hope you are not suggesting that because I do not claim to be a Christian that I do not have a rich Spiritual, God-filled life. This is an unfortunate error that many make in their devotion and it can regrettably lead to a very innocent form of arrogance that does not invite real discussion and discourse but rather rift, heart-ache and misunderstanding.

One of the things I LOVE about the farmgirl connection is imagining all of us from all different parts of the country, and walks of life, coming to the table of bounty..the collective soul where we share a meal. We come together so different, and unique and yet because we are eating together, sharing the goodness of one another we can find that thread of respect to discuss things that hard. Despite our differences--our disagreements, we come together out of love and respect. I think this is precisely what Jesus meant when he spoke to his disciples about if ever there are 3 or more are gathering so he shall be present. Perhaps it was two, but you get the idea. I love that image. This place doesn't precisely that!

It is my sincere conviction that the word God is probably the greatest inhibitor to actually understanding or knowing what God is...Even the words I just typed are ridiculous because God is so vast, so infinite that it can not be known or understood with any real fullness. What we can only hope to do when talking about God is to find ways to transcend language altogether.

I think this is one of Jesus' greatest teachings. Yes he spoke a great deal in story all of which told to us from other peoples' points of view. We don't have an actual gospel of Jesus. Wouldn't that be amazing?! Something he actually penned..his thoughts precisely as they are. The Gospel of Thomas, I think comes close, but it was not selected by the those in the 4th and 5th centuries piecing together what was going to make the final cut in the Bible. It is a fascinating gospel..beautiful and well worth your time and effort.

In any case, it wasn't so much what Jesus said. He was what he did. Our actions transcend language or they ought to. We know this. We know people whose actions are completely out of sync with what they preach. It is my belief that when our actions and our words become one in the same we will begin to fully understand the 'Christ Potential' within us all.

Kris...keep sharing your perspective and know that even though how we see God may differ the miracle of God is that what we see, how we see, when we see it is all true. We needn't worry about how others see God...seems to me, God's embrace is big enough for everyone! I send you love and light. I've missed you!

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  8:11:37 PM  Show Profile
I dont think " I convinced myself" there is only one way to reach God. I just believe Jesus knew what He was talking about (after all He is Gods son) when He said"No man comes to the Father but by Me." I have friends from many different faiths. We agree to disagree. Each of us knows we are right and the other is wrong lol!My grandmother said if you blind folded 3 people and brought them to an elephant and placed one at the trunk,one in the middle, and one on the tail and told them to touch the elephant. Then remove the elephant and each describe what it looked like. Each would adamantly describe their experience. Totaly different. Totaly true. But only partially. Until we get to heaven we will only know partially here. But one day sisters" we will know even as we are known" Back to the subject of quiet time with God. I am so glad for this study. I was practicing daily devotions before the study but enjoy sharing faith things with all of you!Just a thought about Johns perspective. Each gospel writer had a different perspective perhaps to relate to the different ways each of us understands things?
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  04:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Claudia, Thank You for posting Rick Warrens devotional. I am at the moment reading his book for the second time. I read it a few years ago & now I am actually taking the time to sit & ponder what it says. Julia, This is just my opinion but I believe God speaks to everyone. He loves us no matter what. I am not well versed with the Bible but Rick Warren & Joyce Meyer are & everything I have read or heard from them,indicates that God LOVES & speaks to us all. He chooses people to do his work, that we may not accept in society, because he knows their heart.We must have a willing heart to accept His will & love. He has great patience & his timing is His, as is His choice. At the moment I follow no Religion. No one to confuse me with rules. I find most Religions to be one sided. I LOVE my Lord & am trying very hard to learn about Him & include Him in my life. I know he is there & I want to be there for Him. He guided me to this forum & study. He guided you as well :)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  09:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Lea~ I loved your grandmother's description of the elephant. I have often used a similar analogy with a chair. We can all look at the concept of God from different perspectives..all of them true...all of them partial as you say. I'm certain that the foundation of our difference is that you read the Bible from a literal prose point of view. I read it as poetry. You read what someone wrote that Jesus said, "No man comes to the Father but by Me." as literally to mean that only those who claim Jesus as a personal Lord and Savior will come to God. I do not interpret it that way, although the difference in our perspective isn't all that great. I interpret that to mean that anyone who lives from their Christ potential, completely devoted to the God in all things, will be enlightened to the Divinity within each of us. Whether this is through Jesus, Buddha, Shiva or others doesn't matter. That's the biggest difference I suppose. You believe it is Jesus alone and I do not. Please don't misunderstand me though, I have a tremendous devotion Jesus, which is why I study Christianity and the Bible. He simply isn't my only guru.

Madeline~ it looks like I ought to check out Rick Warren and Joyce Meyer. I'm not familiar with either but it sounds like they'd be worth my time.

Your comments reminded me of one of my favorite writers; Anthony de Mello. He was an Jesuit priest who was born in India. He died in the late 80's I believe at a rather young age. In any case, he married so well the views of Western Christianity and Catholicism with those of eastern philosophy. One of my favorite things he wrote with respect to God's will was this;
"In the West it is considered a miracle when God does one's will. In the East it is considered a miracle when one does the will of God."

That speaks to me so deeply because so often I encounter people who are watching their children die. They've prayed and prayed for a miracle. They know God hears them. They hope that their devotions have been enough and yet their miracle does not come. Not only are they completely shattered that their child died but they now have to contend with the devastating idea that God did not hear them. God did not do their will. The conflict this creates is deep. The hurt is sometimes without healing. The struggle is 'how can God's will be to take this child, make them suffer in ways that most can't even fathom..and what's more how can I surrender to it?" This is why this thread, this topic is SO important!

It's easy to talk about God's will when things are going well. It's only when things aren't that our beliefs are challenged and tested. I find so much comfort here and if I seem disrespectful to your beliefs and perspectives it is ONLY because I am a clumsy writer! This really is one of my favorite things to talk about. Blessings to you all! ~julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  10:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Julia,
I do not feel you have been disrespectful in any way. I 'agree to disagree ' with you on some points?

But that is why it is important to share, discuss in respectful ways, as I believe we are here. Something, that I think very sadly has been lacking in our land over the last several years!!!
2 people are Never going to agree on everything, or every point?! Certainly not in religion or politics, so to speak.
But it seems that often there just is respect and good manners missing anymore. It's sad. My daughter has friends of all faiths, cultures, and some who choose no faith at all. Being around them, their fun times and discussions is a joy! They all learn from each other and stay respectful and sensitive to each others beliefs.
I have found that to be the case with farmgirl forums and I just love the forums so much!

There is a lot of truth in much of what you shared. So often we want and need our own will, and when God does what He knows is best--- we are shattered inside. That is why His Word is so important. The more we read and study, the stronger our faith becomes, thru good as well as the bad times.
Learning to hear and understand His voice, in a manner of speaking is so important.

As for Jesus?! I too, believe He is the only one and true Savior. I heard a pastor once break scripture down to original Greek and the meanings. Jesus is God in the flesh, He claimed that , stated that over and over, using words that literally meant 'equal and same person'. That's one of many things that rattled the Pharisee of the day!! Jesus claimed to be the one, the true God. In this pastor's teaching he challenged us to realize a choice has to be made? That Jesus was one of three things...
1. A liar
2. A crazy man
3. He is EXACTLY who He has claimed to be, nothing more, certainly nothing less.

He stated, literally , that He is the One, the Only One!

So, the pastors point? At some point in our lives we have to reconcile who exactly this Jesus is? And according to Jesus's own teaching and words.... Our own eternity may depend on it!

Words to think about? And I too, hope to not offend anyone. Just some serious things to think about and pray about!

Thank you ladies for all your postings. I think they bless and challenge each of us to ponder and learn

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful discussion, ladies. I agree a little with you all! Will be posting topic 2 tonight or in the morning. Lets keep talking, we are all learning.

Much love,

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Julia...I think you are getting every one off the topic here. We do not want to debate your Theology
of many Gods, many great prophets, and many ways to Heaven. I am going to quote one Bible Passage and
then ask everyone to get back on topic. Ephesians 4:4-6 says..."There is is one body and one Spirit - just
as we were called to one hope when you were called - one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of
all, who is over all and through all and in all."

Now, that said...if you do not believe the Bible to Be the Inherant Word of God...then you will have criticism of everything we discuss. We want to do this Bible Study to Learn, not to debate, not to
criticize and not to open up a can of personal philosophical worms. A Bible Study is To Study the Bible.
And we need to use the Bible as our final Authority on all matters of discussion. If we don't do this...then
we aren't studying The Bible. I have been teaching a Bible Study for 22 yrs of Women who attend many different Churches. It works because we all agreed to leave our Church Doctrine and Personal Opinions At the Door when we came in to Bible Study. And that if we had any disagreement on a subject we were studying...we would let the Bible be the final say on the matter. And if we found it silent on a topic...then it was obviously not important to our salvation and we would let it go. SO LADIES CAN WE
DO THAT HERE? Or are we going to be shut down by MJF for discussing a potentially explosive topic...THE BIBLE???? If you can't agree that the Bible is God's Word and that through the guidance of the Holy Spirit 66 men wrote it down...then you don't have any reason that I can see to Study it...unless you are just
trying to move your own agenda forward...to enlighten those who you deem un-enlightened.

NOW can we all agree to study and stay on the topic of Listening To God?

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 09 2012 12:16:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, please keep this friendly. I will be posting Topic 2 this evening or in the morning.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Peggy Ann...bringing us to a "Point of Order" like in Parliamentary Procedure. I agree to follow the plan set out and to continue with what has been layed out. Thank you again.

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear friends! No Worries!!
~Ashley, I think this conversation has been exceedingly friendly. We want to believe that discussions of the Bible ought to be easy but they aren't...not always.

~PeggyAnn, thank you for your post. You would not be the first to call me out! Ugh. Being wordy and opinionated and taking over with my big fat presence is one of my worst faults. You've humbled me.

Respectfully, I do not agree that we must be in agreement about the Bible to study it and learn it. In fact, it is my belief that in order to really learn, we must be willing to debate, ask questions, infuse our understanding of these ancient teachings with the anthropological knowledge that governed so much of how the Bible came to be. I apologize for slipping off topic and for giving you the impression that I was moving my own agenda as if to suggest I have anything enlightening to offer. I do not.

It saddens me to think that you only see reason to study the Bible if one believes that the Bible is God's word, "the inherent word of God", and "the final authority on all matters." It saddens me because that excludes me entirely. If my questions and what you've interpreted as criticisms are offensive, I beg to know why and perhaps you can share that with me privately. I am profusely apologetic to have gotten under your skin in such a way that you are concerned that this discussion could be shut down for being too explosive. I don't think of myself that way...having the ability to incite such irritants but your words are causing me to consider it deeply. Again, thank you.

Ashley, I'm very much looking forward to the next topic.
Claudia~ it has been forever!! How have you been?

~May peace be in all your steps~ julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I agree it was very friendly...I just wanted to make sure it stayed that way:):) When it sounds like things have the potential to heat up, I get all nervous...lol!I am pleased that you are looking forward to Topic 2!

To ALL: It's POSTED!

Much love!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:51:01 PM  Show Profile
I too want this to remain friendly and loving towards each other, but also being a Bible Study
Teacher...I am continually bringing people back on track when they wander off topic for too long.
Just years of conditioning! I apologized to Ashley in a private post for over stepping her Leadership.

For "whatever" each woman hopes to get out of this Study, I hope love and friendship will be the key
that opens the door to the Wonderful Truths of God's Word...as we learn that He does have a plan
and a purpose for each of our lives and that we can learn how to Know His Will for us.

And there is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi :) I must say one last thing, before tomorrows new thread. I did not find this discussion unfriendly. I found it to be the opposite. It made me seek further into the Bible, beyond the passages posted at the beginning. I also believe I read not to take offense, or act on human emotion but to do & act Godly. Peggy is correct, this is a Bible Study & I hope to find myself learning from it. Julia, You must read Rick Warrens, The Purpose Driven Life. I am at the moment rereading it & it is something to sit & ponder. Also if you can, read Joyce Meyers, Battle Field of the Mind. These books have given me much to think about, they also refer to the verses in the Bible, so you can look them up, for further explanation. Ashley, I am enjoying this study, Thank You for hosting it :) I look forward to tomorrows thread.

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Sabrena Orr
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Sabrena
Olympia WA
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  6:31:43 PM  Show Profile
I too am enjoying this thread and look forward to more discussions throughout this study. With busy schedules, I love to get up early while the house is still asleep and spend time reading His word. This time will also include reading and pondering these topics. I feel that I need to open my eyes, my heart and my mind to God's word...daily. I look forward to the next topic!

Sabrena, Olympia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Topic 1: Jan. Bible Study Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page