True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies!

Here are the 1st verses and questions for week one. Please reply to this thread with your answers (only if you want to), questions, insights, etc. I look forward to learning about Knowing God's Will with each and everyone of you.

KNOWING GOD'S WILL

Introduction:

Verse: God has a plan for your life (Psalm 84:1-2)

Longing to be with God- Things you can do to enrich your path:

-Choose a specific place where you won't be interrupted (Luke 22:39)
-Set aside a certain period of the day. (Daniel 6:10)
-Start with 15-20 min a day and increase as you grow with God.
-Keep a balance with reading the Bible and praying.
-Seek opportunities to use what you have learned or prayed about. (James 2:17)

Benefits of having a regular quiet time:

-We get to know God: his nature, character, ways.
-We grow in the understanding of his perfect love.
-In silence, we can hear more clearly the voice of God.
-We are empowered to overcome sin and weakness.
-We can receive specific guidance. (Mark 1:35-38)

Question: What are some changes you can make for your quiet time with God?

TOPIC 1: Does God speak? Yes!

1. Isaiah 30:21 -His voice is everywhere.
Ask the Lord to speak to you in a way that you can see, hear or understand. Make it your goal to become a better listener. What are some ways you can do this?

2. 1 Samuel 15:10 -Listening for God's Voice.
Have you ever heard God speak to you? Spend time reading his word and ask him to speak to you through it.

3. John 18:37 -He is the voice of truth
Have you tried to find truth and fulfillment in anything else? Invite Jesus Christ to show you the way of truth.

4. John 10:27 -His people recognize his voice
If you want to evaluate a voice you've heard use the simple test: Does it exalt Jesus as Lord? Does it affirm the truth of scripture? Does it lead to a growing freedom and maturity in Christ? If it does, keep listening-for God is speaking.

I will post a new thread next Tuesday the 10th for "Topic 2: Jan. Bible Study". We will then post our comments to the Topic 2 thread.

I hope each and every one of your are having a beautiful day.

Much love ya'll!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  3:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, I just made a copy of this post and will start in the morning. I really need this right now. I need to know God's will for my life. I am at a plataeu in my Christian walk and need to get back to my Father. Thank you for doing this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  9:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Ashley! I will be keeping up with this.

God bless,

Judy
Farmgirl #3666

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Ashley...I also made a printed copy and will get back on with my comments tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know you had posted elsewhere. I might have kept wandering the
wrong path for awhile. LOL

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

"Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch"

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  05:15:16 AM  Show Profile
How God works! I try to have my quiet time in the morn. after kids are on bus to school and hubby is off to work. I get about 25 min. this way. Today 4-H assignments are due at the county office so I cut Gods time short to get that done. I thought the study was on the names of God so being a good little Christian I run in here to get the bible study and find it on benefits of the quiet time! I short changed HIm and before it was too late He showed me thru this HE is 1st. Not 4-h,jobs or even family. Perhaps thats not the way you intended but Ashley this is one sister who shouts Thank you for going where He led you last night knowing I would need a reprimand this morning. We serve an awesome Father who cares about the details in each of our lives. God bless and forgibve me if I got this off tract I dont mean to just had to share.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  05:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I feel the same way, Kris. No better way to change than to be active about my life path.

It is no problem AT ALL to do this! I am so happy to have people to share a study with.

Lea, God works in the best ways sometimes. This is something I am learning as I go. It's really cool that you recogzined he was speaking to you.

I'm working on my study this week and will post when I finish. I did not want to move ahead of you all, I wanted to work right along side my farmgirls! I hope this study provides us all with something we need.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  07:13:25 AM  Show Profile
I feel as Im in a rut on my journey with the father. Probally cause I don't feel like Im getting anything from the church we are attending. Want to change churches but hubby says no. So what to do? I do know that the father is here with me. As when I had the terrible family drama I could feel him.
I do understand about being at stand still in my faith and not always putting the father first letting job,shopping,family get in the way. This is the year I want to change that. I do talk to the father alot when driving.
I did print of the bible study and hoping to work on it so I can post in the am.
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  08:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gals first i must say thanks so much to Ashley for taking the time and care to share this study with all of us.. i read the lesson last night and will be reading it again as i need to really get it into my brain.. ive always been so envious of people who God speaks to, until i have finally learned that i need to listen and God doesnt speak to us as our everday friends and family. so i try to keep that in mind. i have thought that whnever i think to do good it is God and when i go the other way its not of God.. i am really really going to try to walk daily and it will not only be great exercise but i will make it my quiet time with God.. i am really going to try and do this.. i will be re-reading this lesson throughout the week and again thanks so mcuh. cheryl

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile
Lea, I love it when God talks to us in the way he did with you. It's kind of like a kick in the pants kind of thing....not in a bad way, but in a WAKE UP kind of way. He does this with me all of the time, as i'm sure he does with everyone. It's just a matter of listening and recognizing. One of my favorite examples for me is I had reconnected with an old high school friend through face book. She has the sweetest little girl named Marlo who clearly has God in her heart. Marlo was only about 4 at the time, and had already written her first "story." I was so impressed with this that I sent her a princess storybook/scrapbook type thing that she could write in. When they recieved it in the mail, my friend sent me a facebook message thanking me. Fast forward about 6 months....it's almost Marlo's birthday so I decide i'm going to make her a happy birthday banner. While I was making it I started getting all of these ugly thoughts in my head like....why am I doing this? She never sent me a thank you. Why am I wasting my time??....I had absolutly NO reason to be thinking this way, because my friend did thank me, and on top of that, Marlo is just a dear, sweet little girl. I was just having one of those not so pleasant "human moments." So as i'm grumbling and making this banner I realize that it's mail time. I go downstairs to grab the mail and as i'm flipping through the envelopes, I come across one that is clearly "good" mail. I open it up and there is a sweet little picture that is obviously colored by a child. I open it and there are words written thanking me for the princess book and a side message from my friend saying how sorry she was...she had opened up her address book and found this card that she thought she had mailed. I stopped dead in my tracks, looked up at the sky, and said "i'm sorry, God!" What were the chances that 6 months after sending the book, at the exact same moment that i'm grumbling about making this banner would I recieve this thank you card? Very good chances, because that is the way God works! I cannot even stress how much I love the way God speaks to us. It would be so easy for him to take his thumb, reach down through the clouds, and squash us like bugs when we are being creepy, but instead, he speaks to us with love.

Emily
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  09:29:30 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited about this Bible study. Thank you for doing this. I have heard God or shall I say felt he is with me and Thank him always. In my case it was just to make the time to talk and listen I did that this morning and it started my day off better than ever.. I know God is with me always and thank him every day but I haven't taken the time to sit an reflect about him. My aha moment is this study is James 2:17 faith by it's self without action is dead. How powerful is that .
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Jan 03 2012 7:48:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  11:34:19 AM  Show Profile
Emily...your story was a "perfect" example of one of the ways God speaks to us. His timing is not always our timing...but it is never too early or too late. That letter came at the "exact moment" that you needed it, a moment when God wanted you to hear Him loud and clearly. ~ I cannot count the many times He has done that with me too.

Our first question was "What are some changes you can make for your quiet time with God?" For me it would be daily consistency. I don't set aside a certain time...I just make sure I get some time with him in that 24 hr period. That works fine unless I am trying to squeeze that time in...10 minutes before I go to bed. Then I am just giving Him the left overs of my day.
Which isn't good. That last 10 minutes before bed should really be a time of praise for how I was aware of His presence through-out my day.

Also, the goal about becoming a better listener to God is excellant. So many times over the years people would say to me..."God doesn't answer my prayers."
When they say that, I always say..."Are you staying in His Word everyday?"...which they usually say, "NO." Then I ask..."Well, one of the first ways God speaks to us is through his Word...so, if you are not reading it...how do you know that He isn't answering your prayers and speaking to you?"

We forget that God's Word is His Love letters to us and his direction manuel for our lives.

Another way that we hear God is in that "still small voice"...with in ourselves. Most of the time we don't hear it because of the Noisy World around us or because we are too busy doing all the talking and non of the listening.

Before we open his word everyday...it is a good thing to pray first and say, "Beloved Father, please speak to me through your Word today. Show me what you would have me to know.
Open my eyes to your truths, open wide the eyes of my heart, and open my mind to receive what you want me to learn today." Then after we pray and read....we should take about 10 minutes and just sit quietly before him...meditating on what you learned. He will speak to you at that time. And if he doesn't seem to...then re-read what you just read. I have done that up to 3 times before I have really heard what He was trying to say to me.

I also believe that God speaks to us through Nature, through inspirational books, through inspirational songs and music, through children, in the night and through wise counsel. When I worked...God regularly speak to my heart...while I was in putting on my make-up in the mornings. And when he speaks to me during the night he does it several ways.
He gives me poetry in the night when I am asleep.(I often say that is because it is the only time I am not talking). I have learned to get up immediately and write it down...because no matter how much it runs through my head during the night...it is always gone by morning. Also, many times he will wake me up to pray for someone. Or if I am having a difficult night of sleeping...I figure he has woken me for
"Night School" and so I pull out my Bible and Study.

There is only one way that I am very leary about when it comes to God speaking to me...and that is when someone comes up to me and says, "God told me to tell you..................." I have found more often than not...that, those are their words and not Gods. I usually say..."Well, God and I talk a lot...so if he wants me to do that...He will need to tell me himself." Because usually it is something like, "God told me to tell you, that He thinks you should take over the Nursery for the next billion years." Oh, Really?
God told you that huh? LOL "Well, if He tells me that...I will let you know."

On the other hand...I have had people tell me that God wanted me to check out a scripture or that He put me on their hearts to pray for...or that I had a need that they might be able to help me with etc/and I do believe those kind of statements because God does work through his people to encourage us, love us, pray for us and care for us.

Well, I think that is about all my thoughts on this weeks lesson...but I will keep popping on to read other people's thoughts on the Lesson too. I love getting different perspectives and hearing how God is working in the lives of His children.

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."

When I was a lonely wallflower, Jesus asked me to dance. Then he asked me to be joyous, to be passionate, and to Be His!

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jan 03 2012 11:41:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies. I would like to join you. Printed off a hard copy and will read in a little while. I'm in a fibro-fog right now, so will wait until my mind clears. Bless us all.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  2:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Quiet time with God is important. If you believe God speaks to you, then you must also know that there are evil voices constantly trying to talk to us also, as shown in the story by Emily. There is nothing Satan would like better than to draw us away from God. Quiet time in the morning is a good way to start the day and fortify ourselves against the onslaught of negativity that the world can throw at us. Being knowledgeable in God's word will help us recognize these attacks more readily and enable us to dismiss any attacks on our faith.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:20:38 PM  Show Profile
I really need to do some quiet time in the mornings before my day actually starts. I have a terrible time of actually getting up & moving in the morning. I like my sleep :p. And I find that if I do it at night time (when I have more time to focus on it), I forget it all by morning. I'm going to have to figure out something....

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:36:30 PM  Show Profile
well said julie (farmdream) !!

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  7:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I have time in the mornings after my husband leaves and before I have to get ready for work. My problem is once I start doing something else I won't have my quiet time. My goal is to sit down as soon as he walks out the door before I get sidetracked doing something else and spend time listening and reading. Cathy

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SuzanneH
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Suzanne
St Francisville Louisiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  8:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I am so looking forward to starting this tomorrow morning. My kids go back to school after Christmas Holiday and even though my husband and I do a family devotion with them every night and we are active in our church I just really need this right now for my spiritual growth.

Thankyou Ashley for sharing

Suzanne
Farmgirl #3608
http://www.etsy.com/shop/countrylifenaturals
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TuttieLou
http://countrynatural.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/suzholland/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  9:19:03 PM  Show Profile
Good evening ladies!
Ashley, I echo the others with a big thank you for doing this and setting it up for us.

I will work on it more in the am.

I think to briefly answer the question of daily time with God?

I am prayerfully hoping to have set quiet time each am and evening.
I think as was said, there needs to be a consistency, as well was a determination of self discipline each day.
It is sooooo easy for me to become distracted with other things and the worries of daily life?!

It is my hearts desire to begin this New Year with a better focus on God and what He wants to teach me.

Hope each of you have a good nite!

Blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  09:22:32 AM  Show Profile
hi Linda i just read your dec 23 post on your blog. your year sounds pretty close to my last 2 years. thank God we do have the Holy Spirit to guide us through.. i am really trying to focus on God and pray daily for the strength to get through each day. i hope you find peace in this coming new year..

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:22:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm afried that I doubt myself too often. And have depended on others ideas for what is best for me. But when I do go to the Lord to see what he has in store for me, Sometimes I think, was that just my choice or really an answer from God. Does this make any sense to anyone. But I've realized that when the answer was from him, it keeps coming to me and I realize and feel that it's him. Have any of you ever felt that you were being touched on the shoulder, or a wonderful awareness that he's right there with you. That has happened several times with me. I have fixed me a little comfy spot in the extra room, with my recliner and table and lamp and my books of daily reading, bible and paper and pen. So that will be my place to study. Morning is best time for me. With taking care of mom and grandkids, its best I connect with him before the day begins. And let him know what I'll be doing and ask for his guidence. I loved the scripture reading in this lesson. Also, Ashley thank you again for putting this together. You have set it up so it's easy to follow. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies :) I hope I am not too late to join in ? I read all the comments & I have to say, I do not look so much for quiet time with the Lord, I just include him in everything, everyday. This works best for me :) I talk to him, seek his counsel, correction, whether I like it or not. I thank him for correcting me, putting me on a straight path etc. I thank him for everything. I just talk away to him. I read my Bible, not as much as I probably should but I see his work in my life. I know without a doubt I can depend on him for all my needs. Sure Satan has troubled me, but I pray a small pray & the Lord is there. He has worked many miracles in my life. When times are tough, Satan starts playing tricks on me to shake my faith but he has never won. I put on my armor so to speak. I know quiet time with the Lord seems to be really important but I just feel much better including him all day long. Thank You for letting me share.

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ya'll. Thank you so much for you appreciation! It makes me very happy to do something nice for you all. There have been many times I've felt lonely and this forum made me feel like I had a ton of girlfriends right next door. So thanks to YOU all, too. It feels good to be a farmgirl!

I need to dedicate a set time to study. I can study whenever I get a break from the kids, but at times it seems really rushed and not sincere b/c of the disruptions. Like Madeline, I try to include him in everything. One time I had a great opportunity to hear a wonderful man speak. He said "Ask God to send you direction on EVERYTHING you do....So when you are getting dressed say "God, what shirt should I wear today?" And if God tells you to wear the same shirt three days in a row (like he had...lol) then you wear the same shirt three days in a row!".I also need to read and study the Bible more.

I have had strong feelings and a fear that I MUST do something a certain way, but I have never actually heard God.

I have studied other religions and in the past they always seem to have a spark and then I feel the pull of God our Father. I think in the times I have studied some other religion, I was just lost and looking for something new...a change. The change I always need to make is internal.

Much love!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Ashley,I hope I am not to late to join. I was so glad I found this page. I love the Lord and just feel sometimes I put him other than first. Which I know if I put him first all other things will fall into place. My journey starts today. Although I know he never leaves me or forsakes me , when we get away from him he cant do anything until we put our ears onand listen. There is so much junk we pay attention to other than the Lord the junk gets in the way. The Junk will be pushes aside. Than You Jesus.
Blessings Marlee

J-Jesus First
O-Others second
Y-Yourselves Last

=JOY
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:02:05 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, I have been down the path of seeking out different religions & I have never found the peace I do by just fellow shipping with the Lord. Take today for example, I did not even ask the Lord to help me in my Shoppe & he did. He gave me complete peace to handle what needed to be done. I was very busy today & did not acknowledge his help, until a little while ago. I have always been one to follow my heart & all my younger days my mom forced me to go to church, I hated it, now I seek him out because I need him & in turn try to do his will. There have been times though, where I ask him, are you sure you want me to do this & believe me I can tell when it is his will or not. I know a lot of religions make a person feel they must kneel or say long prayers, wear this,or that, say this, etc. I believe is the reason alot of people have left their religions. I do not just talk to the Lord, in case you are wondering, I listen too :) My little voice inside, has never failed me. If I do not listen to it, something goes wrong & there have been times, bad things have happened. I have learned that small voice is the Holy Spirit, sent to guide me. I listen to that guide, always. I have come along way in my life, my husband tests my faith everyday.He does not believe God exists & there have been times I see a true hate for God, coming from him. If I did not trust God, I would let Satan have his way through my husband. I am not saying my husband is a bad person, by no means. I just notice that the more I talk to God & listen & trust him, the more I see Satan trying to trick me & have me doubt & forsake all. It was by guidance I came upon this Bible Study. I believe I am exactly where the Lord wants me ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  5:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Ladies...everyone has had such good comments! I have enjoyed reading them all tonight. I too must say that,
I communicate with God all day long. He is as real to me as each one of you....but I still need that quiet time before him...allowing Him to speak to me and direct my day. Did you ever think that it would be better if we asked God what is on His Agenda for us that Day instead of telling Him what is on ours and asking Him to make sure he comes along and helps us accomplish it??? I think most of the time...we get it all backwards!

blessings,
peggy

Farmgirl #1326

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh amen Peggy. I love the part to ask God what is on His agenda for us rather than asking Him to come along and help us accomplish ours. So good and so true.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Topic 1: Jan. Bible Study Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page