Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Christmas Eve meal/Christmas night meal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Eve meal/Christmas night meal? Next Topic  

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  2:01:06 PM  Show Profile
What do you all have for Christmas Eve/Christmas night meal? I'm really confused as to WHEN to serve the big meal. We're staying home this year because DD is getting over chickenpox, and I wasn't sure what other customs were.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile
In our family we do a casual dinner of Manhattan Clam Chowder on Christmas eve, then a big dinner on Christmas night. That said - I think however you want to do it and however feels right is the way to go

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  5:11:35 PM  Show Profile
We go out for Chinese a la A Christmas Story on Christmas Eve, then Christmas Day I make lefse in the morning and a big traditional German meal with beef rouladen and spaetzle for dinner. We kind of have a global trek with our food!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Our tradition of chili was started out of necessity. My dad is a pastor and my mom was heavily involved in church music so Christmas Eve was a rather hectic day for us. Then when I went into music and was on staff at a church, we started following the same tradition. Chili in a crock pot. Now that I don't work anymore, we have a kind of open house for all my friends still involved in church work or any other work on Christmas Eve. They can drop by for a quick, filling meal and aren't expected to stay for any time. One of my pastors will just stop in for about 15 minutes, but he and his family get full bellies. :)

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  7:34:58 PM  Show Profile
The big meal was always Christmas eve and then we had yummy leftovers for Christmas day. My Mom would always do the turkey, mashed potato, stuffing...DH's mother always did Salmon until I came into the family (allergic). Then she started doing a roast. Both did Christmas eve so when we got married the MIL's had to battle out who got to have us over. Some years there was hard feelings!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  8:13:01 PM  Show Profile
It will just be Hubby and me for Christmas, so I decided to have fun with the menu: This year it is "Surf and Turf". Wild caught lobster tails from Maine, and organic grass fed Filet Mignon from our local farm. Buttered new potatoes, roasted alien heads and homemade sourdough french bread with homemade raw milk butter will accompany. And for dessert, assorted cookies: Gulten-free Shortbread cookies with caramel sauce; Gluten-free Dark Chocolate, Fruit and Nut bars; and Gluten-free Dark Chocolate Chip cookies.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

lwm
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Loralie
Duncan AZ
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  8:48:24 PM  Show Profile
We usually do our big meal Christmas day. When I was growing up we usually ate around 2 pm. Nowadays my daughter prefers closer to noon so her children can be put down for naps.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  9:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We don't have any traditional meals for Christmas Eve. What we do depends on where we are, but typically have a light supper and go to Christmas Eve services and afterwards have a dessert, usually some of our favorite Christmas cookies.
Our main Christmas meal is always on Christmas day, usually around 1:00 PM. Sometimes it's a full-fledged turkey dinner, but other times it's a ham dinner or an enchilada dinner. We don't like to have this meal in the evening and often times we wait until mid-afternoon/evening to have our dessert.
This year it is just my hubby, disabled son and me. We'll have a simple turkey dinner . . . I look forward to the leftovers!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Dec 23 2011 12:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  9:52:19 PM  Show Profile
We usually do pizza for Christmas eve, big meal at lunch Christmas day, then leftovers for Christmas night. It's pretty much the same every year. This year will definitely be pizza since we found a new little mom & pop pizza shop that has the best breadsticks we have ever had and a bbq pizza with homemade bbq sauce! It's our new favorite guilty pleasure!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  03:31:26 AM  Show Profile
MEWolf---roasted alien heads? Brussel sprouts?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  03:54:44 AM  Show Profile
What I wouldn't give for traditional Italian!

Instead, Christmas eve we go to hubb's mom's and usually have ham..nothing special. (sure do wish it were honey baked) and if i'm off Christmas Day, for my folks- it's usually rosemary pork loin...my favorite! This year that's what it's gonna be with complementay sides from the Honey Baked Ham stre thanks to one of my dad's clients. Ought to be great!

And diner wouldn't be complete without my mother's raspberry jello mold. Crazy, but I love it...It's tradition
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  06:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh! Everything sounds so yummy!

Yes - Margo... what are roasted alien heads? I bet my son would actually eat those! LOL!

My favorite is Liz's Chinese a la A Christmas Story! *<|;)}

On Christmas Eve around 7:00 PM, we enjoy stuffed shells, garlic bread, pepperoni bread with peppers and sauce, homemade calzone, tossed salad, and sometimes spinach pie, if there's time to make them! We usually have some sort of dessert cake later in the evening while opening a gift, and then it's off to Midnight Mass for a beautiful candlelight service.

Christmas morning we have homemade sour cream coffee cake (a tradition started with a gift from a dear neighbor when I was a little girl), with coffee and juice. Throughout the day we enjoy little appetizer-type snacks (including Lebanese stuffed grape leaves - a family tradition "must!"), and then a late afternoon dinner of prime rib, mashed or roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts with lemon butter, turnip and carrot, and cheesy biscuits. Desserts include an assortment of homemade Christmas cookies, cherry cheesecake, chocolate rum cake and Khalua bread (only once a year on those two treats, though!).

Merry Christmas to All!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  06:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Anna - our family is all about tradition. Every holiday we have this green jello salad that has nuts, pineapple, cottage cheese and horseradish in it - noone really cares for it but it has been on the table for 60 some years (grandma's recipe) so it will always be on the table. We also have homemade Christmas braid on Christmas morning - it's a yeast bread with candied fruit and cardamom - that was my other grandma's recipe - my dad makes it now. I do love traditions! Both my grandmothers have died in the last two years and seeing their recipes made and on the table brings back all the years of celebrations....

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  07:15:55 AM  Show Profile
LOL Roasted Alien heads are what my family calls Brussel Sprouts! My kids nicknamed them that years ago and it has stuck :-D

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  12:02:52 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, Margaret! I called you Margo above! Forgive me!!!

LOL! Yes! I love that! Roasted Alien heads! My guys are HUGE fans of Calvin and Hobbs, and to be honest, what helped my son get through a lot of "different" foods through the years was giving them Calvin-esque names! I can't wait to tell him that one! We're having brussels sprouts tomorrow! LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  1:40:40 PM  Show Profile
It is okay Nini!, I have been called my many names over the years. I answer to most of them LOL! **Hugs** I hope your son loves his alien heads !!!

Merry Christmas!
Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  1:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Love reading what everyone does for the holidays. We have never did much on Christmas Eve just simple soup and sandwiches but nothing planned and now that the children are adults and parents that live in other states it is hard to get everyone together on Christmas. This year it will be just me and hubby and we will probably go over to my 81 yo mother's on Christmas night for Chili and goodies with my brother and his family.
I plan to bake a turkey and dressing with all the fixings and salads as we usually do on Christmas Day noon meal. I have made homemade yeast light rolls for years and hubby is disappointed if he doesn't get his hot rolls with butter. Some years I serve up a good spiral cut ham with the fixings especially if we get burnt out on too much turkey.
I love it when we put the two leafs in the big oak dining table and it is loaded down with salads, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, green beans and sweet corn from the harvest from our summer garden. But the best part is the family conversations and the fellowship we share as we all sit around the dining table.
We usually finish the meal off with a piece of homemade German Chocolate cake or a piece of pie with whipped cream and a cup of hot coffee.
Hope everyone is surrounded with persons that they love and that everyone is blessed with too much! Merry Christmas

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

minismith
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Nancy
Moscow TN
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  4:33:37 PM  Show Profile
We've usually had sandwiches on Christmas Eve after church, but this year I'm putting stew in the Crock-Pot.

Usually, we've had a big meal on Christmas Day. Since Christmas is on Sunday this year, we'll eat a light brunch (shrimp & ham) after church.

Merry Christmas, all!

Nancy
Naturalized Farmgirl
Live a Savory Life!

http://www.liveasavorylife.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  07:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Poor baby! I can't believe she got those horrible things already!!!!

For years, I've made Christmas Eve dinner for my mom and husband, and many friends who haven't had family to go home to, or live too far away. Happily, they've all married now and have families of their own, so the last 2 Christmas Eve meals have been lovely, but low-key on our end.

Tonight it's: individual Beef Wellingtons with gorgonzola and sauteed mushrooms and shallots. I will serve with homemade yeast rolls, steamed fresh green beans with candied lemon peel and cracked pepper, and roasted Russian fingerling potatoes. Nothing too strenuous, but amazing to look at and seems like you spent hours. Both my husband and my mom are working today, so I'm happy to make a wonderful dinner for them!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  09:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, I decided to do the big meal tonight. I figure, with gift opening and whatnot tomorrow night, we can have leftovers-leftovers are always better anyway! ;)

I made a turkey breast, rolls, brussel sprouts (From my garden), corn pudding, broccoli casserole, dutchess potatoes, and apple crisp for dessert!

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  12:13:54 PM  Show Profile
This year, we had creamy ranch mashed potatoes, vegan potato curry, the most amazing ham ever, steamed california mix vegies, gluten free potato rolls, sweet corn, and gluten free cookies. Recipes for most can be found on my blog if you are interested. I just posted the ham recipe this morning.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Eve meal/Christmas night meal? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page