Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Sheep, what breed of sheep do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep, what breed of sheep do you have? Next Topic  

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  05:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Being a spinner, weaver, and knitter with a flock of sheep, I always like to hear what other Shepherds have in their fiber line and what they do with their wool. Or if you just like to work with fiber, what breed of sheep do you like to work with.

I have BFL, Oxford, shetland, BFL mules and now Cheviot. I enjoy the process of hand processing the wool from start to finish.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  10:02:03 AM  Show Profile
No sheep yet but looking into horned Dorset or gulf coast native (have to fined the room) right now i have angora rabbits and my goat is bred to a mohair. just learning to work with the fiber, hoping to learn to spin.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  11:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I raised navajo-churro sheep. Not any more, though.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Megan, I went to your blog and I could see where you might need to find room.
Suzane, did you do anything with the fiber from your sheep? I have never spun that breed of sheep's wool.

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile
No, we butchered them for the meat and sent the skins off to be tanned. Loved them when they were alive and loved them in a different way later! ;-)
Navajo-churro sheep wool is mainly used for rugs by the Navajo people.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Dec 23 2011 08:29:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  1:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, this sounds silly but I can't eat lamb...and my husband can't either. We raise cattle and I eat beef.
I would like to find someone wanting to sell some good BFL registered ewes and also a few Cheviot registered ewes (preferably close by). I have been researching some sources on the internet but I don't want to try to transport ewes over a long distance in the cold of winter or the hot of summer...the window of opportunity is very narrow for me.
My problem is that I love to work with fiber and when I feel of a different breed, I want to add it to my flock. I have had Polypay, Corriedale, Oxford, Border Liecester, Bluefaced BL, and shetlands and now I have added Sammy, a registered Cheviot ram. I love wool fiber and can think of things to make with the very course to the very fine. I use the courser wool fibers in my weaving of rugs and the finer in knitting, felting and weaving things to wear next to my body. Wool hats, mittens, shawls keep me warm in the winter.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  2:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarita. I have just gotten back into sheep again. I got 3 Katahdin-Dorper ewes back in the spring. They are now a year old and all bred to my ram, whi is a Finn-Suffolk-Hampshire mix. These ewes will have my meat lambs. Then in Oct. I got 2 wool ewes from a lady over the mountain who raises Finn sheep. I met her at our farmwe's market in Chattanooga. She had some beautiful knitted items and also sold yarn she had spun. I found some really dark brown and asked her if she had any sheep she'd sell. She had a few ewes. I went to look at them and bought a beautiful dark brown full Finn ewe and a lighter half Finn half Sufflok ewe. She was a bottle lamb and very friendly. But the dark brown ewe is still a little skittish. I can touch her nose now and pull stuff off her wool. But can't pet her yet. I hope they are bred too. I saw Earl all over them. I will probably sell their lambs for meat too or maybe not. I will see when they have them.

I want to learn the whole process, from sheep to sweater. This is very exciting to finally have a small flock of sheep. I also have a Border Collie. I still need to have her trained. She loves her sheep though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  4:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Finn wool is soooo soft. And they usually have 2 or 3 babies too don't they? I think you are on the path from sheep to sweater.

Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  6:54:59 PM  Show Profile
I had Katahdin briefly, then we moved and I downsized my livestock for the move. I've been reading a little bit about Icelandic and they sound interesting. I want to learn how to spin and weave and their fiber sounds interesting. Plus I like old breeds that are hardy and have proven themselves for a long time. They sound like they might be a good dual purpose breed. Anyone know anything about them? Would they work well in a very small "farm" setting? I'd love to glean some knowledge from all of you that know so much more than I do about sheep.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  8:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, their wool is really soft and quite long right now and they aren't even a year old. They were supposed to get sheered right after I got them but it didn't happen. They seem to be real hardy. I have read that they can have alot of lambs. I am hoping for twins. Although I had a really young ewe that had triplets and she did just fine. I never did have to bottle feed any of them.

I would like to try milking the ewes. Can that be done with the kinds I have? I know that the Icelandic are dual purpose and I knew some people in Chickamauga that had them and milked them. I would love to make sheep's milk cheese. Icelandic sheep are beautiful and there are so many colors. I would think they's be great on a small farm. I only have 3 acres plus about 2 acres next door my neighbor lets me use. So they go back and forth on different pastures.

I love my sheep and they are so calming. I like to go out and sit with them and just watch them. Makes me feel happy to have them. They are so totally different than my goats. Just sweeter I guess.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, I have not had any Icelandic sheep but Grace and Brenda on another forum have. Maybe they will jump in here and give you some feed back. They are beautiful animals and their wool is beautiful too. I have shetlands and they are hardy little creatures. I also love their wool and all the colors that they come in. I am totally amazed how fast after birth that they are up jumping around. I think Icelandic sheep are much like the shetlands.

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  9:13:48 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I learn something everyday...I did not know that Icelandic sheep can be milked. I have always thought making sheep cheese would be great.
Kris, on the finn wool, I love to use combs on it due to its length and the soft handle. I sometimes get to over zealous when hand carding longer and finer wool and cause it to break...I probably need to use a different technique when carding such wool. I had no problems when combing. I purchased Finn wool from a lady at the Colored Sheep and Fiber show in Sedalia, Mo one year. It was a wonderful wool.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  06:20:12 AM  Show Profile
What did you use the wool from the Finn sheep for? Lucinda's dark brown wool is very long and she's just 8 months old. And it's very crimpy, if that's the right word. Just beautiful. Right now though, it looks like a hay bale. She lokes to wear her hay! She really is beautiful and hope she has some pretty lambs.

I was looking at some Shetland sheep not too far from me but the lady never did call me back. And I left her messages 2 or 3 times. I told her I would never butcher the sheep I would get from her, just use the wool. Her sheep were all her babies, so I guess she just didn't want to sell them. She had a few black ones and mostly white. Would have loved to have gottwn a black one.

So far I know how to shear. How is the correct way to spell that word anyway? SO I know how to do that. ANd a friend knows how to wash the wool. She will teach me that. I have a hand spinner and also my great grandmother's old spinning wheel. I need to learn how to spin the wool into yarn. And I know how to just basic knit so far. Lots ot learn here. Oh, I will also need to learn how to card the wool better. I have done that but need way more practice. There is a community of sheep and alpaca people close by. I just need to get in with them. There is a guild or something.

And yes, the people who had the Icelandic sheep did milk them. I just wonder how much one ewe would produce and is it worht just having a few sheep to milk. I have a small 500 sq. foot house next door and have been seriously thinking of making it into a commercial kitchen to make cheese in. Also canning to sell at markets. I need to see who to call to get them out here to look at it and tell me what all needs to be done and how much it'll cost to do it. I know it ain't gonna be cheap.

I don't know if any of you saw my post about my ram being sick. He had a high temp and was coughing. I called the vet and he gave me LA200 and some Banamine shots for him. I did both the La200 shots and 3 of the Banamine. His temp had gone down. So this morning I let him out. (the vet said it would be ok if the weather was alright) After they were all over next door in the other pasture, I hear him coughing. I was going to wait to let him out but he kept pawing at the door so I went ahead and let the girls in that little enclosure with him. He has a 10x10 warm dry stall there as well. So they all spent the night with him. This morning they were all ready to get out so I put them next door. Now I think I will go get Earl and put him back in the stall and take his temp. I just love that big guy. I just paid $25. for him at a day old and bottle fed him my goat milk so don't have too much money in him. But a whole lotta love. He's the best animal I have. I do not want to lose him. Have any of you dealt with pneumonia in your sheep?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Dec 24 2011 06:26:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  10:09:58 AM  Show Profile
Icelandic ewe and Navajo Churro ram. I love Icelandics alot..have had a couple at least for years..but love my little ram,Curly. He has a super soft fleece, is docile, tough and friendly and cute to boot. I had my ewe (she is black) Trixie's mom and dad before her and they are just a wonderful breed. I never milked them, but her mother, Juliet, had a very big udder...could have been milked I suppose. I do have a milk though, so, well..it seemed unneccessary. I have thought that I would like Shetland sheep as well..still a primitive breed, which I like, but smaller and an even softer fleece. Maybe some day.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I don't want to sound bossy but if I were you, I would not let my ewes too close to the ram until he is over the cough and no temp...I would hate for them to get sick on you. (Just my way of doing things.) Has you ram been shut in the barn? Sometimes an area where they can get good clean, fresh air and sunshine is best.
Sounds like you have good resources around you to make the sheep to sweater happen...and have fun doing it at the same time.
Everyone that has Icelandic sheep just love them, they are so beautiful.

I try to feed my sheep on the ground in pans or in the feeder to protect the wool. I had a large bale close to their feeder so I could fill the feeder with hay easily. I looked out yesterday and John was up on top of the bale pawing and the others standing around the bale eating and John is just throwing hay on all of them. I ran out trying to save the wool but they had a lot on them....I am in the process of making coats but not done yet. This flock is like a bunch of teenagers...always where they shouldn't be!

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, have you crossed the two yet? I wonder what the wool will be like? Also, didn't some milk their Navajo Charro?

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  11:33:14 AM  Show Profile
I did put him back in the stall right after I wrote here. I also gave him some elderberry syrup before I took him in. His temp was back up to 102.5. So after I got him back in I gave him some more elderberry. He loves it. I am so glad. I will probably give him some 2 or 3 times a day til he gets over this. I hope he does. I may have to give him another shot of Banamine too? I hate when they get sick. Just throws everything off for me. The stall is half open on the South and East side. I have palstic on the South side I should take off so he can get some sun, which is popping out some today.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  8:41:40 PM  Show Profile
I had a ram to get sick a few years ago and the vet had me give him LA200. If I remember right, I had to give him shots every other day until he got better. I think I ended up giving shots of penicillin too.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  07:21:04 AM  Show Profile
Did I hear Icelandic!!! Yep that is me... I raised for years South Downs, Corriedales and Icelandics. The Icelandics are the full package. You can milk them, they are great tender sweet meat and their fiber is a dual coat so you can have a large market in the fiber arts. Please raise them like they are meant to - not grain feed and boxed up in small quarters - they are meant to be raised like they do in Iceland.. Spent two weeks with the breeds and their flocks during the round up time - learned more then any book could every teach. However, I do have many books on the breed that I sell - sorry shameless plug. I did tons of reseach before selecting them and I loved having them here.

Kris still keeping your ram in my prayers. Hugs Jenny you have been in my thoughts and prayers

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile
The vet gave me 2 huge syringes of LA200 to be given one day then wait a day then another shot with the Banamine if eh had fever. So he got 3 shots of Banamine. He said to not give him the Banamine if his temp was under 103. It was 200 yesterday morning then went to 102.5 that afternoon. That's why I put him back in. I gave him 3 big syringes of elderberry syrup yesterday and another this morning. He loves that. He has eaten alot of hay and drank a bucket of water. He is itching to egt out of the stall. If the weather is nice tomorrow, I will open the door and let him go out in the little pen. He won't be with the ewes but can see them then. I will give him elderberry every day now. The ewes look great so far. It has not rained in a few days so the ground is not so muddy. But that all could change.

Grace, the Icelandic are beautiful sheep. Their wool is amazing. I didn't want to grain feed my sheep, but it sure is nice when they follow me to where I want them to be because of it. They don't get much. Just a big coffee can between the 6 of them once a day. 150 pounds of cracked corn, sheep pellets and alfalfa pellets last 6 weeks between the 6 sheep. Plus hay and pasture. We still do have green grassy pastures. And I rotate them.

I hope everyone had a great day. I got some very useful earring making tools. I already made 4 pairs. I so need to get this room cleaned up and organized. My daughter found 13 milk crates at a thrift store for a buck a piece! I will use them for my yarn and craft things in here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2011 :  7:34:19 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I knew you could help with the Icelandics.
I am glad your ram is doing better.
We had company and a big lunch and then over to mother's for another big meal...I feel like I can't eat another bite.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  07:55:56 AM  Show Profile
Know what you mean Sarita I think I ate too much and so today will go on the light side. Plenty of outside trudging thru the deep snow so I am sure not a calorie will stick but do not like that heavy feeling...

Kris I know what you mean about having folks follow when you need them too. Since mine do not get grains some will come just because they love following me other will follow because those folks are following and then the wild ones will follow for minerals or apple slices.. I only have a few who do not follow and I found ways to out think them but sometimes you just want to slap them silly!!!!

Great to hear he is doing better - did I miss the final determination as to what he had??

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  12:52:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Grace. Trudging through the snow, hmm... not my cuppa tea. But I think it might be easier than trudging through the mud. I am really not sure what Earl had but think it must of been pnuemonia? His temp was 105 at one point. I opened the door of the stall and he can go in and out today. He is looking at his girls. He misses being with them. But I do believe he is so much better. I was so afraid I was going to lose him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  2:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Kris, so glad that your ram is doing better.
I don't have snow Grace, just clouds moving in with possible light showers so I got out to walk and visit with my flock this morning. I better be walking off the calories...I have put on weight and I am not very happy about that! As I get older, I am like some of my old cows, sheep, and dogs...I am an easy keeper!

Of course while I was out with the sheep and dogs this morning, I took the camera and got some pictures. I will put the pics on my blog tonight.

Grace, be careful while out in the snow and cold.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4241 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4241 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  04:30:26 AM  Show Profile
howdy all, thought I would jump in and say I have those shetland/border leichester x's, always bad spelling too! I really enjoy using their wool. One has white wool, the other started out black and has gone to a grey, now. She has changed color every year. Her head, legs and tail have stayed black. Thankfully they have never been sick. Kris I hope your ram is on the mend.
I have dyed some wool, but I guess mostly I like to blend the two colors into different combinations. You ladies have helped me out immensely with fiber preparation. I thank everyone for that.
We have some snow left, but have had a very mild winter so far. Temps about 40 yesterday.
take care
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  05:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Wow Michele, that temp for Wisconsin is unbelievable isn't it. So different from last year. We have only had a trace of snow here. I got out and walked yesterday in a hooded sweatshirt and stayed comfortable.
I enjoy the shetlands so much. Some change colors over the years. My Isabel was as black as coal the first year and I really thought she would turn a gray but instead she is as red brown as she can be but her soft under wool is a gray.
Another thing about shetlands...they are so hearty. My bigger breeds of sheep's lambs are slower to get started but the shetlands are up and bouncing in the first hour of their life.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep, what breed of sheep do you have? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page