Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 groundwork with rescue pony
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic groundwork with rescue pony Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  3:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Last year, I became the proud owner of a Hackney or Hackney cross pony. I agreed to foster her for a rescue, and before long, the said they thought I was keeping her- you may know how that goes! I'm happy about it, did not argue.
Little Petra was in the kill pen after refusing to buck as a JR Rodeo pony, or so the story goes. ( Read into that, no matter what they did, she would not buck) I have had her for over a year, and she is now ready for a job! She has carried a child on lead line once in the past- not with me- and she accepts a pony sized pack saddle as well as a bridle and bit. We have ponied her off our other horses recently, which was somehow scary for her 6 months ago. There have been LOTS of fear issues.
Anyway, she and I will be in a driving clinic in a couple of months. I need to shorten the girth on my surcingle- she does accept it though it does not fit, and I can ground drive her, though there is a lot to work out still. ( I drive my Haflingers, too) I think that, since she accepts a pack saddle, she will readily accept a harness.I will borrow one at the clinic.The clinic is being held at a rescue where Petra once went for 2 weeks of refresher groundwork, and it is being taught by my Amish trainer, John. John has introduced all sorts of equine to driving in a 2 day clinic, including some non halter broke mules. He is very gentle.
All this said, I came to horses as a young widow in 2005, and I'm always learning. I do not have a great handle on some of the groundwork stuff. I really want Petra to give me her head, to bend to one side, on the ground. She will drop her head and collect on the ground, but really resists on turning to the side. She will move the hindquarters to pivot in a circle, but not the forehand. Again, a major part of the problem is my lack of skill in these areas. I have the Clinton Anderson books, but I am just looking for tips on getting her to bend and to isolate movement on the forehand.
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any tips.

Mary LD

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  4:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary, Petra sounds like a gem! It sounds like she may have a stiff back. We have a retired Amish buggy mare that had the same issue. You need to work on flexibility. What we did was to place the bridle and reins on her and use the "give and release" method. Place the reins as you would for riding. Starting on her left side (tacking and mounting side), standing by her shoulder, gently grasp the rein about 18-24" away from the bit with your hand and gently apply pressure on her mouth by pulling slowly toward you. If she resists, do not let go, just hold gentle pressure. As soon as she makes any movement toward you immediately release and praise her. Continue with this, on both sides and on her poll (pulling down), until she learns to give to you.

Once you can get her to give her head on the ground, in both directions and down, then it is time to work on the front shoulders. For this you can use a carrot stick, or you bare hands. You can use either a bridle and reins, or a rope halter and lead. Standing at her left shoulder, place the carrot stick or your hands on the side of her neck. You are going to "bump" her on the neck until she moves away from the pressure. What you are looking for is a moving of her right front shoulder and right front foot away from you and the "bumping". As soon as she moves, stop and scritch and praise her! Do this on both sides, until she is moving on her front shoulders easily.

Once she has accomplished these, you should see some improvement in her forehand movement. Both of these exercises will also aid her in becoming softer on the bit and more flexible. If she has difficulty with these exercises, you may want to contact your Vet, to rule out any physical limitations. We have used and Equine Chiropractor/Massage Therapist that have worked wonders.

Good Luck!
Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  4:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,

Have you seen the Monty Roberts online University? I don't know if the particular lesson you are looking for is there, but I would imagine it is, since this a very typical exercise to practice with your horse.

http://www.montyroberts.com/university/

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  07:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, y'all!
Margaret, thanks! Petra is only 5 or 6, but I did come away from yesterday's session feeling like I needed to get in there and do some steady massage on a regular basis. I did have her vet checked due to neck stiffness earlier this year, and the vet said she had evidence of a previous vaccine injury. I will call my equine osteopathic practitioner after the holidays, as we will be celebrating on a budget this year. My vet had said that Petra is sound enough and strong enough for me to ride, since I'm kid size! Not that I would ask her to take me very far under saddle. This forum is one of the places I feel safe to ask the most basic questions.
That said, I was doing the exercises with a halter, and will switch over to bridle/ bit. Thank you for your clear explanations.The give and release will give her more guidance than what I was trying- bending towards the shoulder using the lead rope.
Paula, we used to live near Monty Roberts in California, and if we still did, I could put Petra in as a student for the student trainers. I sent my horse Nomad there several times. They said they liked having him, as , though he knew what was being asked of him once taught, he would only execute manuevers if being asked PERFECTLY. They even came and got him so he could be in the clinic when I did not have a trailer! Again, money is the issue, though the link you sent is very, very affordable and I am making note of it!

Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  09:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Clinton Anderson does a great job of explained things, in my option i think that disengaging the hind quarter is much more important than the forequarter. a horse can not run you over or run away if you can disengage the hind end, like a one rein stop.
My mare had troubles learning to bend her neck, i used some grain and a placed it at her shoulder. she only got the grain if her neck was relaxed and she was standing still.
Another exercise to try is to take and walk the lead rope around her but then go all the way back to her head on the opposite side. leave slack in it as you walk around her, then pull on it so she has to turn in a circle following her head. if you can look at the book called ride smart by Craig Cameron, it a western horseman book.
If you need help, give me an email and ill try to help

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  1:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Megan recommended an excellent book,Craig Cameron's "Ride Smart",I start colts and do other horse training and use alot of Craig's groundwork techniques.
Another really great one is "True Horsemanship Through Feel" by Bill Dorrance and Leslie Desmond,reading your post I immediately pictured working this mare of yours on the ground with a mecate rein rigged up for lunging and using thier techniques to lunge,disengage the hindquarters and follow the feel,it's a great book for anyone interested in some of the finer elements of training horses.
Those two books are top on my list followed closely by Marty Marten's "Problem Solving" books 1 and 2.
If I were working with her I would start doing my groundwork with a mecate and then progress to long reining her,especially for your purposes,I teach alot of advanced dressage moves first in the long reins but like to use long reining for just about any horse for any purpose but I don't get in there right away with the long reins and work a horse in long reins if it's not fully adapted to having ropes around it's hindquarters,legs,etc..alot of colossal wrecks can happen when long reining,it's a great tool but the introduction of long reins is open to alot of surprising things so I get to it after I've done alot of other groundwork with the leadrope,mecate,etc..
Good luck with your mare,let us know how it goes.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  05:37:15 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Kathryn, "True Horsemanship Through Feel" is an awesome book for horse owners. Would love to be able to get it on Kindle so I could carry it around with me.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  06:06:17 AM  Show Profile
welll...
I do have True Horsemanship through Feel. I do believe it has been sitting on my shelf for too long! I need to get it out and read, read, read. That will be a good starting point- or starting over point. I really like Clinton Anderson, and have learned a lot from, as Megan puts it, his great explanations of things. But throw in my inexperience and dyslexia- and sometimes, I just don't get it! ( I " see " directional stuff backwards in some ways). I went to see a British dressage trainer with a friend- and he gave the lesson I need, about developing feel in the saddle- to another rider. I came up afterwarda nd told the trainer that the lesson reminded me of something in the Bill Dorrance book, and told him about Bill. The guy just looked startled and sneered, as if an American cowboy just might not know anything about the lesson he himself was giving! I'm going to have to photocopy a few pages of the book and send them to that trainer and thank him for letting me audit.
I do not have a machate, but will see about getting one.
Kathryn and Margaret, I am drooling over what you know how to accomplish on the ground. I need to increase my focus.

Mary

Edited by - MaryLD on Dec 14 2011 06:45:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  06:33:10 AM  Show Profile
Mary I like Clinton Anderson too,I attended one of his clinics here in Colorado a few years back and really enjoyed it,I love his no nonsense approach to training,he doesn't get all fluffy bunny but isn't rough with horses either and his sense of humor is great!
I don't have any of his books but I imagine they are just as good as his shows and clinics so I'm sure there's some good stuff there that will help you with your mare.
I love Bill Dorrance's outlook on life and horses,he's my favorite of the Dorrance brothers,I wouldn't sweat that one dressage trainer's outlook because some people are just plain biased and can't see beyond thier own discipline.
I grew up working cattle and so training horses for that kind of work and then as a teen I ran barrels and also rode a little rough stock in the Junior rodeos and then I came into dressage and jumping as an adult,I have met great horsemen in all disciplines and have learned alot from them all and then through the years I have seen some very sorry examples of riding and training and I learned alot from seeing that and the results as well!
If you or anyone else here are interested in dressage one of my very favorite authors is Sylvia Loch,author of "Dressage in Lightness",I have alot of respect for Sylvia Loch and have all of her videos as well and have learned alot from her.
You can make a mecate out of nylon rope and you will need some slobber straps,Bill's book shows how to set it up for riding and lungeing,I've found alot of the mecates available through tack stores are real long,being mainly designed for rigging up with a bosal so for training purposes I just use nylon rope and make my own,you can get fancy and add pineapple knots and horsehair ends or you can just fray the end of the rope that feeds out from the slobber strap to fancify it.
I have some beautiful horse hair and alpaca mecates that I use when out social riding but plain nylon rope is just fine when training colts.
Another publication you might like is Eclectic Horseman,it's a great magazine with alot of horse training articles in the Ray Hunt and Dorrance tradition,it has articles from people like Martin Black (another good one),Buck Brannaman and some Dressage trainers and riders.

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kathryn!
I did see online that one can make a machate, had already forgotten about that! I did make a rope halter for Petra, so a machate should not be too far off.
Thanks for all the extra tips, including the magazine. I do have one dressage book, Carriage Driving Essentials Through Dressage. I would like to work some dressage training in on my Haflingers as well as Petra, to make them well rounded. I really do not know much of anything about dressage, but it is good to incorporate what works! I put in the bit about the dressage trainer more to highlight that it is all a matter of perspective, and maybe that the guy was missing out on a true gem. I still think it would be a good cross cultural experience to send him the part of Bill's book that parallels what I saw in the clinic. Then again, I am a former exchange student!
As for Petra, she is getting a little break due to rain and mud. I am soaking some mud spatters off my surcingle so I can safely take in the slack with my good sewing machine! I already took it in once for the Haflingers, I think it was used for Warmbloods before!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  07:48:34 AM  Show Profile
Mary, You have gotten such great advice from our fellow Farmgirls -- looking forward to hearing how Petra does at the clinic :)

~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~
Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile
Mary I think it would be a great idea to send that dressage trainer some highlights from Bill's book,it might help him to see that good horsemanship and lightness can be universal to all disciplines,I just meant to say that we shouldn't let it bother us when someone dismisses another's discipline because I find that it is very common,a shame but sadly common.
I remember talking to a guy at horsemanship clinic I attended a few years ago and when I told him I did dressage he actually scoffed and said "I hate English riding,it's so prissy",this was a guy who was just getting started out with horses and hadn't hardly seen any time in any kind of saddle but he was forming judgements about what English riding was all about,hardly aware that he was talking to someone who had been down in the mud and blood castrating calves at the end of a rope dallied to a hardworking ranch horse but instantly he saw me as one of THOSE riders and his picture of THOSE riders were prissy snobs afraid to take thier horse out of the arena and he has no real idea how challenging English riding disciplines can be,I could have said something but I didn't,it's just a shame that those biases can go both ways.
One of my friends is all about dressage and all she can do is talk about how poorly Western riders ride and train and how they ruin horses,etc..she has strong opinions about Clinton Anderson and all the top Western clinicians but has never actually been to one of his clinics or ever probably watched one of his shows,again,I try to say something but gave up a long time ago.
Anyways,there's my tangent for the day I will stop now.
I was reading your post and another book came to mind to recommend to you and that's Jennie Loriston Clarke's "Lungeing and Long Reining",it's a great book and might really be useful,she goes from the basics of lungeing and long reining into more advanced movements taught in the long reins such as shoulder-in,half pass and other more advanced movements.
I think long reining is a great tool and would be especially useful for your goals with your horse.
For more a much more advanced long reining book in dressage principles there's also a great book by Phillipe Karl,a Dressage master in France,I can't remember it's exact title off the top of my hed but it's got long reining in the title and might be something like "Long Reining in the Classical Tradition" or something like that,I have it but it's on loan right now to a student and I can't go look at it to get the title for sure.
Anyways,I have a dover surcingle that I like real well but it's made kind of large too,I also have some cotton web ones that one of my friends brought over for me from Wales and I think they are some of the best,being highly adjustable and some are elasticized so makes fitting much easier,seems like here in the U.S most surcingles are only available in warmblood or pony sizes and not much for in between horses,I would so love to shop for training gear and tack in the U.K!

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:09:49 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, we are on the same bent with the same tangent- and I better get onto another point before belaborng the previous one!
Thanks for recommending all the books, and the magazine. It appears to be a reflection of how I live and ride- take what works and apply it to your life. I saw a few other books on the EH website , that interest me as well. Time to start saving up for a new library!!!
One of the the books is based in Feldenkreis, a healing form of movement for humans- the rider. I have really thought that Feldenkreis would help my riding, and I have slowly been doing some of the tapes that belonged to my late husband. I think I will get that book as well- forgot the title- when I am able to spend money again. We are doing the holidays on a budget, and I think the gifts are all bought! ( And I still have 5 or six more to make!!)
Oh- back to the tempting tangent- I have a story that turns out to be fun.
I ride my Haflingers in Barefoot treeless saddles with Skito pads underneath, and one of the saddles has a piece of sheepskin instead of a seat. Put this on a Haflinger, and you are riding with the comfort of a couch! The saddles are endurance type, English billeted, and I wear a helmet. A helmet! I have had 2 head injuries prior to riding, and I am a real believer in helmets. Anyway, my friend Robin rides English and Western, and we took her team of warm to hot blooded horses to ride in a trail ride. Here in Texas, that can mean wagons and riders, on roads, ranch roads, and park roads, with camping and BBQ. Anyway, we were unsure of how Robin's team would do so we wore our helmets. Later, many people said " We wondered why you guys were wearing helmets in the buggy, and then we found out why." Hoover is a retired TB brought out of retirement to become teammate to Dolly ( saddlebread or standardbred with 1/4 draft )This was in part becuase Hoover could not bear it when Dolly drove away with out him. Now Robin admits that she likes to go fast, and that her team might be a tad hot. All other drivers I know , are not keen on using a TB to drive. Anyway, that said, we were warming up and getting in formation with the others, when Hoover reared up in the shafts- and went down. Up he got, and then he went down again, knocking Dolly's feet out from under her, to where they were both down, and pinned under the yoke of the buggy. The quick release on the yoke did not work due to the pressure, and things felt tense but others pitched in and I did what I could to help free the horses with the others. One of the riders came running up, offered Ace, and gave each a half dose. All the experienced teamsters thought the team could still go, so off we went, with no further issues.
( This is why I drive my Haflingers, lol. Plus I am a shortie, and I can reach them to tack up!)
Anyway, all were very friendly to us that day, inviting us on many other rides, and chatting. Still, we were dubbed " The English Riders" though Robin competed Western through college and I ride trail. I WISH I could say I did 3 day eventing, but I'm so not there yet!
Our wreck was pretty dramatic, and some with over 30 yrs on the trail said it was the craziest wreck they had ever seen- though one chimed in that a team of mules had once run a tongue pole through the windshield of a police car on a very, very large trail ride. At least when I see people from this ride again, I can refer to myself as " the English rider" rather than " the one who got in a wreck." I did this when friending a couple of them on Facebook. Lol.
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  10:46:37 AM  Show Profile
Mary,
I respect you for continuing with your horses after what sounds like a spectacular wreck!!! You go Girlie!

I love working with our guys on the ground. It is good for you and the horse, it gets them focused and thinking, and you can get a good perspective on where they are in their training journey. So much of what we do we have learned by trial and error. We have read a bunch of books, and we kinda combine several different training methods. But the biggest secret training method is this..."It takes as long as it takes." Every horse is different, (they like us humans) learn at different rates. Some are easy to train, some are ridiculously hard. But each and every animal will learn on their own time schedule. So do not be in a hurry, take the time it takes and enjoy the journey!

Blessings,
Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile
Mary that sure sounds like a hell of a wreck,I've seen and experienced some bad ones but never one quite like yours in person,that's one of those "surprising things" that old Bill Dorrance talks about with horses,I always got a kick out of how he spoke about such things,I think it's one of those things I like most about his book is his way with words.
I wear a helmet too,I've had some really bad wrecks but it took me a long time even after my biggest wreck when I was fourteen (shattered my pelvis,ribs,etc.,horse rolled over on me after tripping at a good gallop),it wasn't until after I started wearing a helmet off and on that I was hammered into the ground by my Norwegian Fjord and fractured my tailbone and even broke the exterior shell of the helmet that I got real serious about wearing a helmet.
People are more accepting of helmets than they used to be,it used to be (and sometimes still is) that if you wore a helmet in the Western arena your Momma dressed you funny,you were a sissy,nervous nellie,lily-livered,etc..and in the dressage arena they assumed something about your horse being snorty and waited for him to break in two and buck you off into space.
Now it's getting better and though I don't agree with rules requiring them (I believe in live and let live) for anything but eventing and jumping competitions I think it's nice to see more people wearing them and more people accepting thier use without assuming something about you and your horse.
Margaret,you said the most important thing regarding horse training,above all else,time is the most important factor,no amount of know-how or training equipment will make a difference if a person isn't willing or doesn't know about taking the time it takes to get these things gentle,it's so important but one of things we don't tend to think about,it's kind of like air,doesn't seem important or thought about much until you run out of it!
Well ladies,this is a great discussion,I could talk horses all day all the time if I didn't have to go out and shovel some poo before it gets dark,I have a lung infection so have been spending too much time on the computer lately for lack of being able to go out as much as I would like,thanks ladies for filling my down time with good and thoughtful horse talk!

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  9:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathryn I hope you feel better soon! I used to suffer from bronchitis every fall and winter...UGH, nuttin worse. And cold weather and hay dust, poo dust, etc. just seems to make it worse!

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  2:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Margaret,I'm getting much better,I had severe pnuemonia a few years ago and every time I get a cold it seems to settle in my lungs and linger there for a few months,I was told by my doctor that I have pluerisy (sp?) an inflammation of the lining of my lungs,it's getting better but was actually kind of painful so I wasn't getting out much because inhaling cold air just made me cough and of course,made it all hurt worse.
I've got so much to do,I've got a little bay colt in the corral that I'm supposed to be getting started and I also have my Daughter's little arab mare who was going real well before this long break so I need to get back to it and get her ready for Spring and Summer riding.
I love talking with you gals,I hope all is going well with your horses!

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  6:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I can't believe this, but just looked up your location on Mapquest and we are not that far away from one another! I live in Byers. So if you need a hand, let me know!

Margaret

Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile
That's neat,I've never been to Byers but sold a goat to a lady that lives up that way,nice to meet another Colorado gal,maybe we can meet up sometime!
Thanks for your offer of help,I appreciate it,I'm getting along alright now but today I'm treating a colicking horse,seems like we can't get a break in the weather and trouble lately!

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  1:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn,
I hope your colicking horse does well!
I bet you know just what to do, however nerve wracking it may be! Not fun!
To Everyone,
I, too, have enjoyed this forum. Last week, I was indoors a lot, with bad weather, and also making Christmas gifts. Then I got busy again! I appreciate all the wisdom that has been shared here.
I am going to see if I can make some slobber straps and a machate. I have a machine that sews leather, though it is in the shop for non- leather related reasons, lol! I also have a thing that installs snaps. I started to re- read the Bill Dorrance book- I was too new to horses to understand it the first time, and did not get very far. I also worked on giving Petra some massage, though I still need to dig out my book on that. I wish I had time/ money to take the T Touch program that is starting next month. That will have to come later.
I am kind of a visual learner - most of us probably are- when it comes to technique. I went ahead and joined Giddy Up Horse flix, so I can rent videos along the way. So, with your help and motivation, all the resources you shared and my $10.95 monthly fee to the video website ( cancel anytime, one dvd out at a time), I feel a lot better prepared to move forward.
Soo many books I'd like to read. I do want to subscribe to EH magazine. Al least I know where I want to start.
On another note, we had a blast yesterday at our holiday potluck with friends. The hosting family is in the carriage/ wagon business, and invited two of us with teams of horses, to come on down and hitch to their vehicles. So we did not have to haul our own vehicles! Hubby and I hitched to a forecart and had so much fun! Our friend Kelly hitched to Dave's big covered wagon, and hauled the guests while Dave and his wife Judy rode their trail mounts. Then we had a big potluck!
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  3:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary!
I didn't know there was another horse video rental company,I belonged to Horseflix at one time but they just abruptly stopped and shut down and I haven't searched for any since,I will look that up,I used to really enjoy renting training and riding videos,I learned alot that way.
I'm very much into books and learning that way,it's always worked for me but sometimes seeing it can really clarify it quite a bit,I kind of glazed over a little bit at the Bill Dorrance book too because the things he spoke about,that feeling of a horse and some of his lungeing and body language techniques were real new to me at the time,up till then I was real nuts and bolts in my riding and training.
My Father and other riding instructors were real disciplined in thier training and riding methods so I was kind of the same way too for a long while before I caught on to the Dorrances and others and I also worked with a really good horse trainer who taught me alot of this stuff and then steered me further towards learning it by introducing me to (not personally of course) trainers like Ray Hunt,Bill Dorrance,Brannaman,etc..
I think you'll like EH magazine,I've learned alot and they're very picture intensive when describing training techiques and manuevers,knowing what you're looking at and being able to recognize the change in the horse is essential and they realize that.
I would love to do the T touch thing too,I know a few things that were taught to me and I do a bit of equine massage and carrot stretches with my horses and think they're very beneficial.
Your Holiday potluck sounds like a blast,I would love to do something like that,it sounds like a great time and like a great group of people!

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  2:28:30 PM  Show Profile
All natural horsemanship trainers all work on the same basic princeples. Pat Parelli, John Lyons, Buck Brannaman are all excellent trainers as well as clinton anderson. All of these trainers have videos, books and training equipment available to horse owners. I'd try looking on ebay and amazon for used videos and equipment. Good luck!

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  2:30:36 PM  Show Profile
P.S. I've seen Buck Brannaman in action. He is my hero in the horse world. He took a supposed second level dressage horse and turned it into a different animal by the end of the first day of his clinic here in so. maine. The horse would not enter the round pen gate with out pitching a fit at first. It was completely amazing.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic groundwork with rescue pony Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page