Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, SECOND BOOK?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, SECOND BOOK? Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  11:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Got out my Anne book that I have had for years and am re reading it, forgot how good it is. Anyway its the only Anne book I have, so what is the second one in the series called? I will probably be needing it.
NANCY JO

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  12:12:54 PM  Show Profile
anne of avonlea .. i think .. i got it .. but didn't love it as much as the first one .. haven't even finished reading it yet. i was so enjoying our own 'anne' stories we were writing. will use excerpts from the ones i wrote for some of my dollies. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  6:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Nancy,
here is the order of the series;
Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
Chronicles of Avonlea
Anne's House of Dreams
Anne of the Island
Anne of Windy Poplars

But Anne of Green Gables is considered the best by many, or so they say!!
I hope this helped!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Aug 24 2006 05:25:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  7:29:52 PM  Show Profile
I read them all years ago..but have read the first one over and over. I love it best.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  8:44:07 PM  Show Profile
THANKS GIRLS, Guess the general feeling is the first is best, but I will try book two.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  06:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Just a note...I think what Buttercup posted is the order of the books as they were published. If you want to go sequentially in the story, the order would be:

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
Anne of the Island
Anne of Windy Poplars
Anne's House of Dreams
Anne of Ingleside

Most of the material in the Anne TV miniseries is drawn from the first four books, although it is rearranged and changed quite a bit.

Amie C.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  11:07:55 AM  Show Profile
hi ladies
I have talked to a few of you about Anne treasures already....but...did you know that there is a new musical out called "Anne and Gilbert?" My husband and I saw it a feew weeks ago and it was superb!!!
Regarding the Anne books, I grew up reading Little house On the Prarrie, and enjoyed those books quite a bit. I didn't start reading the Anne series until a few years ago. When my husband and I were dating, (I lived in Nova Scotia, he lived on Prince Edward Island) he would send me an Anne book in the mail with a few words tucked into the front cover! What a joy it was to receive those pacages in the mail!!!

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  11:17:38 AM  Show Profile

What a nice thing for your husband to do. hope you kept them. I have had Annne of Green Gables since I was a girl, got it out the other day to read it again, seem to be getting a lot more out of it now then before. Maybe I'am smarter now, we can only hope.
Just got back about an hour ago from having a tooth pulled, don't want to do that again anytime soon, so think I will go now and do some reading.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  10:48:03 PM  Show Profile
I have a set of the "Anne" books and there are two more added after Anne of Ingleside - Rainbow Valley and Rilla of Ingleside. I haven't read those yet, however. Has anybody else? They're supposed to be about Anne's children...

I absolutely LOVED the miniseries - I think I could watch it 2 or 3 times a year and enjoy every moment. Same for "Out of Africa."

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  10:16:17 AM  Show Profile
I've read all of them. Wasn't sure whether to include those last two on the list. Rainbow Valley is about Anne's young children and their little adventures. Rilla of Ingleside is about one of Anne's daughters as a young woman. It is set during WWI and it has gotten a lot of attention recently as a depiction of Canadian domestic life during the war. I think it has been assigned reading in classes in Canada.

To be honest, I read these later books once as a teenager and never cared for them enough to re-read them later. I like all four of the first books, but once Anne is married off she doesn't interest me so much. That's probably just me...
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile
This is such an awesome thread...I've read all of the Anne books, and I really remember liking Rilla of Ingleside. I have all of them on my bookshelf. I really got into them when I was in Grade 4, my teacher would read a little bit to the class every day.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  09:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Just ordered "RILLA OF INGLESIDE", Looks like an intresting read, thanks for the suggestion Amie.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  7:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
How neat..and yes I listed them in order of publishing! I grew up on Little House too!! I love those!! But because of all the talk here I borowed the Anne books from the library and so far am enjoying them very much!
Thank you all!!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  06:09:50 AM  Show Profile
My mother started reading the Little House books to me when I was about 3, so they are like the bible to me! Suprisingly, I never heard of the Anne books until I saw the miniseries on the Disney channel (I was about 14).

I think Laura Ingalls is the more iconic figure in the US, but she does not hold nearly the same position as Anne does in Canada. I remember reading that LM Montgomery was once named in a poll as the most admired woman in Canada. I wonder if French Canadians and recent immigrants can relate to Anne, or if she is mostly popular with Anglophones? Can any Canadian readers answer that?

Amie
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  07:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Well, I most certainly can ......lol.....Anne "the red-haired girl" as the Japanese call her is HUGE in China/Japan. There is a direct flight from Japan to Prince Edward Island (where I am very blessed to live) When you go to the Anne of Green Gables house for a tour, there are English tour guides, french tour guides, and Japanese tour guides. In Japan, people want to learn English and The Anne of Green Gables books are what they read to learn English!!! I have a freind that is Japanese and asked her what the big deal was...I mean I love the Anne books, but she is a HERO there. Yume (my friend ) told me that Anne is very lucky because lives in a land where there are fields, trees and wide open spaces (unlike Japans over crowded streets) and the thing that she/they love most about Anne is as awoman, she is allowed to do whatever she wants which is quite the opposite is the Japanese way..... Soooo that is what I know of other countries love of Anne...can we blame them? have a great day ladies, Mella

mellaisbella "I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, SECOND BOOK? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page