RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  6:47:32 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are finally in a position that I can quit my corporate job and be a FARMGIRL full time!!!! I can't tell you how excited I am.

We are wanting to start a CSA in 2012 for the summer season. We are going to start small with about 15-20 shares. We have been successful with our personal garden and feel we can branch out and start a small farm business.

Anyone have advice about starting a CSA or any RED FLAGS from personal experience that would be helpful?

Thanks Sisters!

Farmgirl Sister #2574
www.redgategal.blogspot.com

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  08:54:43 AM  Show Profile
Wow Danielle, What a dream come true!! I hope you have all success with your start up. The wife of one of the fellows that I work with does something similar. I think she keeps everything small scale, but she focuses on selling to local restaurants rather than to the public. Their demand is high too. They provide duck eggs, chicken eggs, honey, fruit, and other produce. I'm not sure if she has gone beyond the hobby income into a "real" income, but her husband is an executive with the company, so her income would not be that imperative. I know they do market their produce as organic, and that helps boost the price, especially in our area where a dozen farm fresh eggs typically goes for only $3 maximum.
If I were going to follow your path, I would read, read, read...hit Amazon for books on the topic. Then make networking connections with other local CSA's for advice.
Keep us posted how it goes!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  03:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Paula,
Thanks for the encouragement and information. Yes, I've been researching and reading like crazy! It's a little overwhelming at this point. Thanks for the information especially regarding the local restaurants and organic marketing.

Merry Christmas and here's to a great 2012 for both of us!

Farmgirl Sister #2574

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2011 :  2:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow! How exciting! I loved our csa the past 2 years. We just moved to some acreage and will be growing all our own now, but not doing a csa for others. I don't have any advice for you, but I'm sure excited for you!

~Hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  6:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks April. Most everyone I've spoke to who has been a part of a CSA has just raved about the experience. Hoping they'll say the same about us. Just figured out that we will have to plant close to 12,000 plants, so I've got a busy next few months, but super excited.

Keep pulling for our success in 2012.

Hope you enjoy your garden this year!

Hugs...

Farmgirl Sister #2574

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  07:07:52 AM  Show Profile
danielle, this is such a wonderful thing. i think it is the future. thats a lot of plants. do you have a green house? i bet you already know about seed savers. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3852 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3852 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  2:42:48 PM  Show Profile
Go to localharvest.org and join. You will be able to let folks know about your farm and what you will offer. It is free to join.

I am sponsoring them on my website this year!!!

We are joining a CSA near us this year to support small local farms that raise organic veges. I used the local harvest website to find them in my area. I also found a lady 10 minutes away that has organic eggs.

But, here is a question for you chicken ladies. Do you buy organically raised chicks? If you buy just any ole chicken that was feed with antibiotics and hormones then that is passed on to the chicks.
My daughter asked me that. So, I said hey that is a good question to find out the answer to.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  7:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye,
Thanks for the encouragement!

MarJean,
Yes, local harvest is on my list of marketing to dos. As for the chickens...we purchase the our chickens from the local 4-H programs and have for the past 4 years. I'm not aware of the kids being taught to give the chicks hormones or antibiotics. We have raised chicks as well without hormones or antibiotics.

Best wishes for 2012!

Farmgirl Sister #2574

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic First Time CSA- Your thoughts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page