Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Growing sweet potatoes in a barrel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing sweet potatoes in a barrel Next Topic  

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  08:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone grown sweet potatoes in a barrel or bag in the same manner as white or red potatoes?

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  09:47:22 AM  Show Profile
i grew some sweet potatoes last year in a salt lick tub, they did better for me that the year before when i put them in the garden. I drilled holes in the bottom of my tub and filled with a dirt mix, gave them plenty of water. The growing season here isn't as long as they really need so im going to stick with squash instead

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Irishgypsy
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Stacy
Senoia GA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  2:12:23 PM  Show Profile
I have grown all my potato's in bags as I live in GA and the soil is just to poor to grow good size potatoes. I did chicken wire of 24" in a circle with weed blocker used as a bag to hold in the compost. I find they use less water and they grow like crazy with no weeding or fertilizer, of course its organic compost. I did gold potatoes and sweet potatoes. I placed them along my walk so the plants looked nice.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3852 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3852 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  2:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Can you explain that a little more. I am on my third year of trying to get things to grow here in FL. Either the rain kills them or the heat. I've done raised bed boxes, layered on the ground with all organic compost and soil etc...
They come up get about 2 feet tall and then die. The squash take forever to get flowers and then when they do they don't stay open long enough for the bees to work.
I'm going to start all the heirloom seeds indoors and then transplant them this year.
I was thinking of trying a different location in our yard since the last two years was a bust in the place we have now.
Is morning sun or afternoon sun better?

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  05:47:35 AM  Show Profile
Stacy, Thank you so much for the info about growing sweet potatoes. I'm going to give it a try that way this year.

Marsha, This technique is a great way to grow potatoes in a compact space. If you have a barrel or supported bag, like Stacy was describing, you place enough dirt in the bottom of the container to plant your slips. Then, as the plants grow, you cover them with dirt, so that only the top leaves are sticking up out of the soil. The places where the leaves were on the plant that are now below the soil will generate potatoes. Keep letting them grow, and filling the container all of the way up to the top. At the end of the season, you will have a container full of potatoes.

I'm glad this method works with sweet potatoes too. We go through a lot of them, but I didn't want to plant long rows of potatoes in the ground.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/StrawHouseDesigns
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  3:49:16 PM  Show Profile
Add me to Marsha's I want to know how. Does one plant sweet potatoes the same way as a regular potatoe? I do hope all of y'all farm girls are chuckling at me. LOL. I'm ready to plant anything right now. Enough of the cabin fever! Thanks for the information.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  07:25:33 AM  Show Profile
My mom planted her half barrel last year with sweet potatoes. She got a few but they were small. She didn't think she'd get any. So this year she may have to keep adding more soil. I will tell her what you said, Paula.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  8:03:20 PM  Show Profile
That sounds easier than they rows to hoe I have been doing thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing sweet potatoes in a barrel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page