Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 So upset--birth control pill making me despondent!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic So upset--birth control pill making me despondent! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile
A few months after Violet was born, I started back on b.c. pills, something called Portia. After 2 months, it seemed like I had lost my mind--what should have been a glorious time with my baby felt like a burden, my housework, my job, my marriage, everything felt like a burden. I recall vollying from tears and depression, to rage, almost in a span of 3 minutes. I felt out of control, emotionally, and when I told my husband, he said, "I didn't want to say anything, honey, because I wasn't sure about post partem or what, but I think you've lost your joy. I was afraid you were going to leave us!" So, I called my doc and they prescribed me a new pill that has worked like a charm for the last 2.5 years. Suddenly, though, the pill isn't being distributed to pharmacy's and for the last 4 months, I haven't been able to get my prescription on time, or have to fight to get it at all.

I called my doc and again they prescribed this Portia pill, but I didn't really remember...but, two months into this prescription and enter the SAME exact feelings I had previously. I'm so depressed, so worried about things I shouldn't be worried about, can't sleep, headaches that make my brain feel like it's knocking around in my head. Can't find joy in the holiday, don't feel like shopping, putting up a tree--and the worst part is that I'm angry, too, and I've been snapping at Violet over silly little things. I just called my doc again to get another pill--I'm hoping I can turn the tide for the holiday before I ruin it for my little girl, who is REALLY loving Christmas this year.

Wish me luck--I think I'm going to need it!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  08:41:24 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I can't do the pill because of that same reaction. It is so hard. Knowing is a big thing so keep that in mind. Make sure hubby knows it is the pills so he can support you through this.

Best of luck,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  3:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I'm sorry you're going through this. I've taken a number of different pills over the years, and it always seems like the same symptoms creep up after awhile. For me it's migraines, dizziness, and weird moods swings. Objectively knowing that it's the pills--not me, not my husband, not our life--doesn't really help in the momement. Plus it's very stressful to be reliant on a scrip that needs to be refilled constantly, let alone the issue of not staying on the market.

I've been seriously thinking about ditching my bc pills and getting an IUD--purely mechanical, no hormones. My gyno actually recommended the IUD last time I was in the office. She says back in the day they got a bad reputation, but all the risks have been eliminated. The thing that holds me back is that I'm still hoping to have kids...someday...and it feels as though I'd have more control over that if I could just stop taking the pills one morning. But logically speaking that's all in my head because getting the IUD removed would just be a matter of an office visit. I'm mulling it over...maybe it would be an option for you as well?
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  3:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I was feeling the EXACT same way last Christmas. I felt so guilty because I just wanted to lay in bed all day and not do anything. Normally I am Miss Merry Christmas, so I knew something was up. My doctor at the time was horrible, and with military medicine we don't get to chose out physicians, so I was feeling so hopeless. He put me on antidepressants, which for me just made me feel even worse. I finally just stopped taking the pill because I knew that is what it was from.

I hope you get everything resolved soon. I know how awful it feels. Take a little time for yourself, even if it is just 5 minutes to paint your toes or sit quietly with a cup of tea. Sometimes that (at least for me!) makes a huge difference!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  6:49:38 PM  Show Profile
If not an IUD, how about Depo Provera, the progesterone only shot?
I myself cannot take pills containing estrogen- I get migraines with aura, and crazy mood swings.
Maybe call your doc and say how you are feeling, ask for a new pill or go in and see about getting a new method.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  01:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Annie

I know the IUD sounds so scary, but I have had very good luck with it. I had several throughout my child bearing years and then went on the pill. As I hit my mid to late 40s, I realized that I would be unable to go through menopause on the pill. I would just keep having a false period for as long as I took the pill. So, back I went to the IUD. My migraines (that had seriously impacted my life for six or more years) immediately stopped. What a relief. The IUD has served me well without complications.

I do not think a completely hormone-free IUD is available anymore. But, the amount of hormone being released is very minimal and I have had no problems.

Good luck
marianne
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  05:52:19 AM  Show Profile
@Amie, I've been thinking of the same thing, something without the hormonal side effects, because the other "downside" I experience with the pill is that I have little to no libido. I recall going off them when I got pregnant with Violet and almost in a span of 48 hours, it was like seeing my husband with new eyes. I'd never actually cared that much, and then, suddenly, it was like, "wow, you're hot!". I miss that, too.

@Elizabeth--it's just really so disappointing--there is absolutely NOTHING in my life that is a negative, and yet, I can't shake this feeling of hopelessness and worry. And that's exactly how I felt the first go round with these pills. And, like you, when I called my nurse practitioner and told her my symptoms, she said, "I'll call in a prescription for an anti-depressant.." and I got frustrated. I wasn't this way prior to taking this Portia pill, so why would I suddenly need an anti-depressant? So, I told her I wanted a new pill and that's when everything started turning around.

The headache I experienced last week before my cycle made me vomit--I haven't had one of those in years, since maybe I was 16. And I feel crampy and "thick" around the middle, to boot, even after my pre-cycle and cycle is over. That seems wrong.

I spoke to my doc yesterday and she was able to find my old pill at Walgreens. Oddly enough, they acted like I was nuts when I told them the problems Kroger has been having obtaining the pill from the distributor--they said they've always had it, with no issue( ????). Adding insult to injury, this Walgreens is at the top of my street within walking distance! Relief has always been less than a mile away!!!

I just want to thank you for understanding, each of you--it's one of those things that I feel, at my age (38), I shouldn't even have to worry about. Life is too complicated as it is.

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Dec 13 2011 05:53:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  07:13:36 AM  Show Profile
I use a calendar and count to 14. Now that I have shared, I will likely become pregnant.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, that's pretty superstitious, Trish ;)

Look, I forget to make my utility payments, so I can't possibly be expected to remember the last day of my cycle and then use rudimentary math. I need some consistency in my life :)

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  07:53:47 AM  Show Profile
Trish, that's my tried and true method. I have never been pregnant when I didn't want to be. Travis and I are planning for the new year and not taking any precautions save for withdrawl around ovulation until we are certain of our timing (astrology and such ;-) you know me....lol)

I used bc for a few months when I was 18. Got off of it and never went back because of the side effects. Once I got into my midwifery study I became even more opposed to bc for regular flow women. The influx of hormones simply destroys us in my educated opinion. for a woman with irregular bleeding it helps for becoming regular...but for women with a regular and consistent (give or take a day or two) moontime, there isn't a good reason for BC as far as I can see... just my two cents :-)

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://omgsitstasharose.wordpress.com

[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  08:16:30 AM  Show Profile
I was actually put on bc when I was 16, Tasha, because, as a ballerina, I didn't have enough body fat to even support menstruation, and though it was really cool to me at the time, for my health and later child bearing issues, the doctor felt that it was high time I had a period. And, because when I was dancing and got off of them, I had the once every 10 months or so cycle, my gyno and I discussed it and she felt that it would be better for me, and that I'd have better chances getting pregnant eventually, if I stayed on a pill and had a regular cycle. So, that's why I've been on them.

I suppose I could go off them and try both your and Trish's method, but I seriously don't trust myself. I'm just not that together.

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  07:57:14 AM  Show Profile
I quit the pill after feeling like that too. Now for birth control I use the method from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It works wonderfully. We use a simple barrier method too and its actually better than the pill as its 98-99% effective instead of 78-80% effective and there isn't any side effects. My husband is much happier with this method too. So glad we were able to find a natural method of contraception that works for both me and my husband this early. I just had our 3rd baby and also had surgery so it is a big must that I don't get pregnant for at least a year. We are planning to try for baby #4 in 2 years and I'm confident that using this method will allow us to achieve that vs just using the pill. Plus my moods are better :) Best of luck to you!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  7:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Try taking b vitamins. When I was on the pill I had the same problem. Very moody and went into fits of rage- which is not like normal. My Dr. said that some women don't absorb b vitamins as they should while on the pill and to try supplimenting. It worked for me.
I have to say that I really hated the hormonal unbalenced feeling and stopped taking the pill. I used a book similar to what countrymommy85 suggested and it has worked wonderfully.

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com
ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile
@Cindy, yes! I forgot to mention B vitamins! I take a sublingual form and that helped hugely with me and my moods too. :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirlie
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Vicki
MA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  06:48:51 AM  Show Profile
My daughter (age 22) can not take any oral contraceptives. They make her very ill. The only thing that she can use is a bc patch.

"Built Farmgirl Tough"

Farmgirl #3825
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic So upset--birth control pill making me despondent! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page