Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 need advice on horse cribbing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic need advice on horse cribbing Next Topic  

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  2:03:24 PM  Show Profile
friends keeping their 4 year old mare with us, the mare is gentle and more like a dog than a horse. But it cribs all the time, when its in the stall and when out of stall. I have watched her eat grass then go to the nearest board fence and chew , and she will do this all day. She is the only horse on the place. She was put on a high fiber grain and limited hay for colic reasons. Any help or advice please before we have to replace our fence and stall.

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  2:15:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla,
I think there's a multitude of reasons why horses crib,lack of fiber is sometimes one of them,horses spend most of the day grazing and for those that don't/can't have have in front of them 24-7 sometimes develop this habit but I've also learned through the years that some horses do it just because they've developed the habit,some say they can have ulcers or other discomforts that they vent by cribbing,I would talk to a vet about exploring those possibilities as they go beyond what anyone can advise on this forum.
For the short term solution I have successfully discouraged horses from cribbing by rubbing soap on all exposed wood surfaces,I keep a bar of soap handy in the shed to go over often,one of my UK horse magazines advises to make a slurry of horse poo and "paint" the walls with it and one gal I know who does that says it works really well but may be undesirable if you're trying to keep up appearances or just don't have the inclination to go that route.
There are cribbing collars and muzzles but sometimes I worry that such devices cause anxiety in horses but if it worked for your particular horse I wouldn't be against it,I believe whatever doesn't hurt or bother the horse is alright but horses have varying tolerances for such things.
I once took on a paint colt that was such a manic cribber that he shredded every wood surface of one of my loafing sheds and even pulled down boards,nothing discouraged him,not having plenty of hay and pasture,the soap,nothing I knew would work and finally I just boarded him in the pipe fence round pen until I was done getting him under saddle,I was happy to see that one leave!
Good luck with this,I would try the soap and see if that helps you discourage her.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile
get bitter apple spray , works great, non-toxic and I've never heard of a horse cribbibg/chewing thru it...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  4:23:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both for the tips, I will be giving both of them a try, although I may hold off on the poo solution. I know that trick works with dogs diggin holes, but I don't have to paint with it. However I am going to try the other two ideas and I will let you know what works. Thanks again

Edited by - hoosiercountry on Dec 08 2011 4:27:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  6:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
They make a clear anti cribbig "paint" that you can paint on- same idea as the bitter apple but in a big can so maybe more economical? Also chewing and cribbing are different from my understanding. Is the horse grabbing with their teeth and then sucking air? Or are they just chewing? The sucking air is a really bad habit because it gives them a rush of endorphins and basically can addict them to the behavior. It can also lead to bloat and colic. The chewing can be destructive and lead to injestion of splinters.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Cribbing and windsucking are definitely two different things,cribbing is destructive chewing of wood while windsucking is where they grab a pipe or some other round object and suck in air into thier stomachs,I've seen one horse do this and he was diagnosed with ulcers,they say horses that windsuck often do it to relieve the pain and irritation of ulcers or other stomach ailments while cribbing is a habit or caused by a lack of dietary fiber.
I don't blame you for not doing the poo painting of your barn,I haven't done it either but I have heard that it works and is an inexpensive solution because around horses of course,poo is never in short supply!
I use a bar of soap to rub down areas where they might chew but I would imagine that you could also put dish soap or other bitter tasting non-toxic substance in a spray bottle and spray it on as well.
I've never tried the commercial anti-cribbing solutions because of the expense in comparison to the bar of soap trick.

Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  08:42:18 AM  Show Profile
make sure you have plenty of mineral available to the horse, we had a horse that would crib on every thing and she was just really diefficint in minerals. After having her on a special mineral for awhile she quit
Just another thought
Other then that grandma says that cribbing collars dont work, and the cause bad sores on the horse. Personally have never used one

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  09:24:16 AM  Show Profile
Cribbing is often a vice that is started from spending a lot of time in a stall similar to weaving or stall kicking. It releases endorphins and once they get into that habit, it is nearly impossible to stop (think of smokers trying to kick the habit). If possible, try keeping your horse out of a stall. 24/7 turnout (with shelter) is more natural for a horse and clears their minds. String up a line of electric fencing across the top of your fence. If you can't afford to do the entire space, do a smaller space and keep you horse in the smaller space until you see improvement in her behavior.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  10:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Cribbing and chewing are definately two different actions. Chewing is just that. You can eliminate it by painting the wooden surface with an anti-chew solution. When I was young, we used kreosote. I don't know if you can even buy it anymore. There is a product available that is similar and comes in dark brown (like kreosote) and clear. We used this to great effect when the horses, especially youngsters, were chewing the bark on the trees in the sacrifice area. They almost girdled the tree. In the stall we put angle iron on the exposed upper edges. Now that they are in pasture 24/7 I don't think any trees have been chewed on.

Cribbing is when the horse grabs the item, usually wood because that's what most fences and stalls are constructed of, and sucks in. It is also called "windsucking". Both actions cause damage to property and to the animal because it wears down the teeth. I'm sure there are other damages to the animal.

Some publications say that cribbing is a vice learned out of boredom. It is contagious, I have heard, as a non-cribber who is stalled next to a cribber can pick up the habit. A lot more is known now about ulcers and their manifestations so I wouldn't doubt that cribbing could be a symptom.

I would suggest that you or your friend observe the horse to determine if she is just chewing or indeed sucking air.

I hope that it is an easy fix for you.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  09:42:23 AM  Show Profile
This mare is doing both cribbing and chewing, she will be eating and with mouth full of grain go over and grab the top board suck in air. But you can see where she is chewing the boards. The owners leave her in the stall most of time for whatever reason, they said she was on the track, but never made it and they got her from a rescue. She has only been here a month coliced once, and the damage to the stall is minor now, but it won't take long from what I see. I am using the soap right now, it has slowed her down. Owners don't seem to care, not their place. I really thank you for all the advice and information. It does help.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  1:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Karla I'm glad the soap is working for you,I'm sorry that the owners are not very sympathetic to yuor cause,it is expensive and time consuming to put up fencing and stalls and then replace them so I would maybe tell them that they're going to have to reimburse you for any repairs that you need to do,I've occasionally boarded horses and though I've always tried to be nice to boarders sometimes they will walk all over you or expect things that are beyond reason in proportion to what they pay for thier horse's keep.
I now only board horses that are in my training program and usually these are young colts that are getting started so sometimes they have short stays throughout the year as I progress them and rarely do I have the problems that are sometimes associated with long term boarding contracts.
Good luck and I hope that you can find a solution to stop the behavior and damage and get some help and understanding from her owners.
Did thier vet advise them to limit her forage for colic prevention?
I've never heard of limiting forage for colic prevention except for senior horses whose teeth have deterioriated to the point that they cannot fully masticate thier hay,causing impaction problems so I wondered if they modify her diet according to a vet's advice or if that was thier own idea?
I'm just curious,if it's right for the horse there's nothing wrong with that,just wondering the reasoning behind it because hay is so important to thier physical and mental well being and is probably one of the reasons causing her behavior aside from being a bit more confined than I would generally like to keep a horse but then every horse is different and has different needs so maybe it's right for that individual horse,I can't say for sure,it's not my horse and I try not to get set on any one way of horsekeeping and don't think everyone ought to do things the way I do them :)

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  2:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathryn I am not being paid to let them keep the horse here,the owners came up and asked if they could keep their horse here until they built their fence and being new to area we wanted to be neighborly. Lesson learned. I have address the issue on two occasions, and get little response. On the diet I'm not sure what her reasons are, I know the vet told her to limit the hay because it's so dry, and she was letting her out for awhile, but this past week she keeps her stalled 24/7, and she's the only horse on the place. But I noticed even when the mare is out she will graze for a while then go find the nearest board then back to grazing, and she will do this all day long. They sometimes put a feed bag on her and she will try to windsuck, you can hear her at night. The soap has slowed her down but not stopped her, all those wood splinters can not be good on her stomach.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  4:39:25 PM  Show Profile
I feel very sad for a horse who is stalled 24/7. It is like keeping a dog in a kennel 24/7. That is so unnatural. I hope her fate improves.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  12:29:11 PM  Show Profile
My advice is to confront the owners ASAP, and tell them to have a vet out ASAP to give her a complete workup, you do not want to be responsible for her cauusing herself major problems and possible death, be there when the vet is, so you know exactly what was said...and good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  2:05:51 PM  Show Profile
To try to prevent damage to stall doors, you may want to inlay some steal across the tops and sides of the door. It will help prevent the chewing, but may not help with the sucking wind. Maybe give the horse something to do during the day. If you allowed to ride him/her, give him a job even if it's herding your chickens. give him something to do and look forward to. It may help with the windsucking some. Also, do consult the vet.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  4:17:02 PM  Show Profile
We have a cribber, and we bought metal drywall corners and have covered every square wood surface we can find in the barn. It is very inexpensive and he refuses to crib anywhere we have used it. Outside we use electric braid fencing, but he does have one post that is his "spot".

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  8:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Karla don't worry about the wood splinters,from everything I've read in equine veterinary journals and my other references they say the horses actually do not swallow the wood splinters when they chew wood.
She sounds like a nervous individual with some ingrained habits,sometimes those habits are there for life and adjustments in her routine or how she's kept may or may not change her habits,keeping a horse stalled and alone isn't ideal for them but many can and do cope with it,it's not my horse so I don't form judgements about how she's kept as that's up to her owners and thier vet to make choices for her but I would sure try something different if it were up to me.
Sure sounds like you're more concerned about the horse than the owners are and you're in a predicament with her,it sure can be tough to board horses for people and it's why I only board the ones I'm being paid to train,the way I look at it,horses are not near as difficult to deal with as horse people!
I hope you can get her out of your place soon,sounds like her owners aren't too horse savvy but it can't be good for you to have your facilities torn apart either,it's sure a connundrum for you and I hope you can get it resolved soon,in the meantime I think all you can do is take care of her while she's there and try to minimize the damage she's doing to your place.

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  8:25:50 PM  Show Profile
I meant also to say that Megan had a good idea,maybe providing her with a mineral block (if she doesn't already have one) might help,it might give her something to chew on other than your fences and the danger of overconsumption of minerals is really minimal with a block because a horse needs a tongue the size of an aircraft carrier to really get thier mineral intake from one of those things which is why I provide a block but also give them loose trace minerals as well.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic need advice on horse cribbing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page