Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Trash Service? Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:37:41 AM  Show Profile
When we moved onto our place this past February we never signed up for trash service. We just brought our trash into the office and used the company service. There is a possibility of the office closing and I was wondering if I'll need to sign up for trash service.

So how about it? Do you have trash service out in the country or what do you do with your waste? I'm thinking we wouldn't have much since we recycle what we can, compost and try to avoid processed foods and their packaging. We probably only fill up a gallon bag and maybe a half of another for the week. Would hate to have to pay for service to pick up that small amount.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  10:58:07 AM  Show Profile
We do use a trash service and I do recommend it. Of course, I'm a transplanted city girl so I could hardly imagine not having trash service...LOL...that being said, between my husband and I we would have trouble dealing with the trash if we had to pay more attention to it than dropping it in the barrel and toting it down the driveway. Plus, there are so many more critters out here to drag the trash all over if we left it out and I don't really like burning trash. We pay about $15 a month for the convenience.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  11:21:45 AM  Show Profile
We pay for trash service. With all of our recycling, we have one bag of trash for a normal week between the two of us. The neighbors burn their trash and we always hate it when the wind is blowing our direction because burning plastic and whatever else smells really bad. It burns your nose and can't be good for the animals to smell it either.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  11:35:51 AM  Show Profile
We have a trash service that we end up splitting with two other houses. We definately take more of the space as we have four people and the others are a single and a married couple. They give us some money to help out with our service then they don't need to sign up. Maybe someone nearby regularly has space or you could find someone to share with if you don't need all the space.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Audrey -

Check with your township/city and see if they have a "pay per bag" system. We have that here, and we buy stickers to put on our trash bags and put them curbside. That way we only pay for the amount of bags we put out.

Our local landfill also has the same system of pay per bag if you want to take your bag of trash to them - it is cheaper than curbside pickup.

Good luck!
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2011 :  6:39:26 PM  Show Profile
I wish we had a pay per bag system out here. We've lived here 4 years now and it started at $99 for 3 months and now it's up to $115. We've had several lengthy burn bans on so that is not an option. If you have that little trash and nothing identifiable in it (your name, address) then you could almost take it anywhere. Checking with a neighbor about sharing seems like a good idea, too.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  1:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I goofed when stating how much trash we have, I said I only fill up a gallon bag, but I was thinking of a "kitchen" bag which I believe it more than a gallon. Oh well, still not much when you look at some other peoples piles come trash day. DH thought maybe we could get a once per month pickup but I'm liking the idea of seeing if one of the neighbors would like to share.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  6:44:33 PM  Show Profile
I've always been able to find a "waste transfer station" nearby when I've lived in the country, but if I couldn't do that, my next choice would be going in on a dumpster with the neighbors.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  8:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We pay for a trash service (a wheeled cart) and it is a lifesaver for us. We can recycle some things, but it is limited! And the service is superb!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Trash Service? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: