Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 A Happier, healthier, Finn at home!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A Happier, healthier, Finn at home! Next Topic
Page: of 4

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  08:33:03 AM  Show Profile
Girls, you were so wonderful and kind with your thoughts on Jack's passing last week, so it is with heavy heart that I ask you to send good thoughts to my boy, Finn. On Monday night, he became ill, vomiting and breathing heavy, with extreme dehydration. After drinking water he really rallied and we thought we might be out of the woods. I called the vet and though he checked out in his initial appointment, his bloodwork is not good. His white blood cell count is high, indicating infection, something, and his liver values are registering high, so the doctor is fearful that he has suffered some liver damage, or spleen damage as a result of "who knows" at this point--it's been a very rapid decline, and by last night, I was certain he wouldn't make it to the morning, so I made him comfortable, gave him water from one of Violet's rigged sippy cups and just told him what a good boy he has always been, one of my greatest loves. He was listless and like a rag doll, so imagine my surprise when he was sitting up this morning, tail wagging for a second or two and even went outside to the bathroom on a lead. I called the vet (and was told his blood test results) and they are coming to pick him up for fluids and observation, and will do an ultrasound to figure out "what" we're looking at.

Here is a pic of my boy so that you may see "what I see". Put all your loving farmgirl hearts and thoughts together and send love to make him well, won't you?

There are other not so great things going on for us right now (washer broken, the only car we have died on my way out of the driveway this morning, Jack dying last week, not a whole lot of cash to take care of these things, really..) but my Finn is more important to me than any of it.

***UPDATE***I spoke to the vet last night about 7:30 pm, and she said he is stabilized--on a massive antibiotic and SubQ fluids. Severely dehydrated. The xray shows nothing remarkable save a little arthritis near his hips, but that's concurrent with a 9 year old dog. On the xray, his bladder is almost non-existent due to his extreme dehydration. When I asked her "where" the water was going, since it's not coming out in urine, she said it was going to help fight the severe infection he has. She's not sure "what" the infection is, but it's a bad one. I called this morning at 9:00 and he is still on his fluids and antibiotics; it appears he's eaten all of his food (the first in 3 days) and his demeanor is normal. Tail wagging, no panting, calm and loving, just like my Finn. The tech said he's "not out of the woods yet" but he is doing well for what his body has experienced. They will do another blood test this evening to determine what his vitals are and to see if the white blood cell count and liver panels are within reason.

Ladies, I cannot tell you how much this has frightened me. Losing Jack a little over a week ago and faced with losing Finn this week, well, I'm just undone. I looked at his "corner" where he lays in the kitchen last night, empty and all of the amazing, funny, beautiful memories came to me in such a rush, I felt like someone had kicked me in the stomach and I just cried and cried. I know that one day, he will be gone from me, but I am in no way ready. Thanking you all for your kind words and loving thoughts--I believe in the power of positive thinking.
"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."

UPDATE 4 OR 5!!!! Finnigan is being released to come home. Mom and I will pick him up after work, since Justin has to work a double. Bless him, he's been at the doctor since Wednesday. The vet tech I just spoke to said they love him so much, that they just can't believe what an amazing dog he is and that when Dr. Line said he can "go home" they all did high fives and then felt really sad because he's become a favorite, but that he managed to fight this yuck inside him. The Dr. will call me to discuss any potential additional medications, and treatment but he can come home and it's because you girls pulled for him. Thank you so much for your encouragement and good wishes--you also helped me. I was feeling pretty despondent there for a while and your positivity was contagious. Thank you so much, and I will absolutely have mom take a picture of use this evening!!!!!The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Dec 07 2011 06:03:36 AM

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  08:39:27 AM  Show Profile
What a handsome boy he is! They really are members of the family and it is so painful to see them not doing well. *hugs*
Sending love and thoughts his way. Keep us posted!

~jess
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  08:51:12 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, lots of love and hugs sent to you and Finn, I hope that Finn is going to be ok, please let me know if I can help in any way.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, he's so beautiful. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  09:43:28 AM  Show Profile
Jonni:
What a handsome fellow he is!!!!!! Prayers to both of you. Hugs, too.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, girls. I'm very, very worried. The doctor didn't seem very positive with the blood test results, and she even suggested he might have ingested some sort of poison by eating something from our wooded back lot. I'm just...worried. So, do keep us in your thoughts, and yes, he's the most handsome thing--and the best dog a girl could ever ask for. He is my shadow, and my knight in shining armor, my burglar alarm and my own personal "blanket". There will be many things I miss if I lose him, many things that will take some time for my heart to mend.

The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  10:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Jonni! My heart goes out to you! Many prayers are being sent out to you. God Bless!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  12:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm sending you all the good thoughts i've got left in me, Jonni. I lost my boy on Monday. Took him in for a urine sample and didn't bring him home. I'm heart broken and holding his favorite toy, a giant rag doll we used to tug on. I'm crying and praying for you and Finn. I know how deep the pain is.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  12:43:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry Jonni.. I just lost my dog Friday...
I'll keep you both in my prayers...

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  12:49:32 PM  Show Profile
All the sweet words of the ladies here really helped me get through having to say goodbye to our Sinatra a few weeks back.

Finn is so sweet looking! We're pulling for him and you!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  1:22:04 PM  Show Profile
@Janice--David told me. I've been crying with you these last 2 days. I'm so sorry, but deep down, after the hurt goes, you will know you did everything you could for that Owie. I know it seems too little right now, but that boy sure did know he was loved. And, in the end, you loved him more than to put him through more suffering. Hold that toy and send us what little you have left--I am absolutely atrocious here at the office, my eyelids so swollen I couldn't even put on mascara this morning.

@Tara, I just commented on your post--I'm so very sorry for your loss, the pain is real and so personal. They leave deep love in our hearts.

The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  1:37:30 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I so hope he gets better. He really is a handsome dog. So many people losing their beloved pets lately. I will be sending good thoughts his way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  2:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Praying for Finn, your family and his vet and staff to do their best for him.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  2:07:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm pulling for him, and thinking of you too. What an awful patch you're going through. Hang in there, both of you.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  2:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Praying for Finn and you.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  4:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni! What heartache you've had lately! I have said a prayer for Finns recovery. We have lost far too many of our beloved pets lately! The liver has an amazing ability to recover so I'm hoping for positive news for you. You are right, nothing is more important than our spouse, our children and our fur children. The rest is just stuff.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  5:11:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm praying for you and Finn. Like a man told me once:"We don't have dogs--they have us."
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  5:26:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prariehawk
"We don't have dogs--they have us."

That is so true!

~jess
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  7:25:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni! Happy healing comforting thoughts to you and to Finn. I will be looking for your updates...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  8:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Been thinking of you today Jonni....Hoping you get some rest this evening and that both you and Finn have a peaceful night.

Sending you warm thoughts from "The land of water and ice" (I adore those six words you wrote that so aptly describe where my home is Jonni!)

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  8:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- my heart and prayers are with you and Finn. I hope he gets better and finds his strength again. He has such a great personality- you can see it in his face.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  04:08:46 AM  Show Profile
I can't read any of this, Jonnie. I am so sad and sorry for you.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6633 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6633 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  04:34:32 AM  Show Profile
Sending prayers and holding Finn up for healing! Oh my how I understand the heartache!! Please know I am thinking about you and hoping recovery is possible. Somehow I bet Finn is trying his best to hang on and get through all of this. He is beautiful and no doubt loves his owner as much as you love him. We have all known the miracle of gravely sick pets pulling through so I hope this will be what happens with Finn. You are right to just keep telling him what a good boy he is and how much you love and appreciate him. That is medicine to his soul too. Please keep us posted.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  06:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I am so glad that he is making progress at the vet's! I kept thinking about him yesterday. I hope he continues to do better and gets stronger every hour!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  07:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, thank you for the update! I'm holding Finn close in my thoughts and prayers. I keep looking at his pic and smiling, he looks like such a sweetheart. You have such beautiful dogs and they look so happy and well loved. I'm crossing fingers, sending farmgirl hugs and looking forward to Finn's homecoming.

Love and light

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  07:20:54 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Jonni!
& make sure that sweet boy gets an extra special treat in his Christmas stocking
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A Happier, healthier, Finn at home! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page