Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 how to wash my cat's bottom?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic how to wash my cat's bottom? Next Topic  

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  07:54:12 AM  Show Profile
my Lovey has very long hair and she has been lax at cleaning her bottom lately---she is oblivious to the odor that she brins i the room and she sleeps ON me soooooo!!!!
i tried a wash cloth- she was very good about it actually but it did not get the dried hair clean...

sorry if TMI
please help!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  09:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Easiest way is with lukewarm water through a sink or tub sprayer. It will also help if you clip the long hair around the area. I was tempted to answer your title question with "Very carefully", but that goes without saying. Needless to say, you'll want to scrub the sink or tub after you're done!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  10:09:41 AM  Show Profile
your first instinct of very carefuly is true! i was amazed that she let me hold her while i was attempting with the cloth...not so sure she would be so obliging to a sprayer! i am going to trim her hair as well!
i, of course, am reminded of the email joke of washing the cat in the toilet!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile
Give her something to hang onto in the tub. I've used a window screen before. They latch onto it rather than onto your arm. Get a good grip on the nape of her neck and don't let go until you are done!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  1:50:27 PM  Show Profile
My Grandpa used to say that the easiest way to bathe a cat is to squirt a little shampoo into the toilet bowl,throw the cat in and sit on the lid,the cat will self agitate and make plenty of suds and then you flush a few times to rinse,open the back door and quickly step away from the lid for the cat to go tearing through and out the back door,if you ever see him again he will be dry and clean.
Be careful though as severe lacerations could result when using this cat bathing method.
I am kidding of course.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  5:59:56 PM  Show Profile
my house cats all were given bathes starting as kittens so , as they grew they would allow, trim all long hair off their backends, sit them down in warm water till all is lossened, then use a little cat shampoo , wash and rinse really well, rub dry or blow dry by putting them in a cat crate with a dry towel, once they know they are not going to be completly soaked, they usually will calm down...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  7:21:14 PM  Show Profile
I would trim the area and clean and dry with a wash cloth like you're already doing.

On a side note: You really do not want to trim up your cat's bottom (or anywhere else for that matter) with scissors. One of the most common injuries I saw working in Vet hospitals was a pet being cut with scissors. If you have some good clippers (we use Andis) that is the way to go. Human hair clippers seldom work on pet hair that is fine, but you can try that too :)

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

bvfarm
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Christine
Santa Fe texas
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2011 :  12:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Send bvfarm a Yahoo! Message
Ditto on the scissors - just read it in some instructions for my cat - that cat's skin tears like panty-hose if cut w/scissors. Sounds horrible...so I'll find medical ones or confiscate my sweetie's clippers. yikes!

BaileyVille Farm Farmgirl #3624
God is the only cure without sideeffects. Gratitude and Coincidence are His footprints. - CMV; I thank God for my handicaps for, through them, I have found myself, my work, and my God.- HK
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic how to wash my cat's bottom? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page