Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Should I use for the chickens water?

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  1:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pilar,

I've always gone by the "1 tablespoon per gallon" rule. Make sure you are using organic vinegar, with the "mother", like Braggs and shake it up real good before you measure out your amount.

Also, I've heard vinegar water doesn't work well for metal waterers, that it causes them to corrode.

I waited until my chicks were 5 weeks old before I gave them vinegar. Not sure that was necessary or not, but they took to it right away once I started adding it.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  1:22:17 PM  Show Profile
My husband is talking about getting chickens and I was telling him about the apple vinegar and he asked me to find out what the reason was to give to the chicken?
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  7:52:24 PM  Show Profile
the acv is a natural p.h. balancer and a good wormer.it also has all the live bacteria etc. to help with digestion. we use it here for us also. my aunt who was amazing drank a tablespoon in hot water with honey every morning. she was a healthy gal. one added bonus is when using plastic or non metal troughs you have no algae. we feed all our animals acv. we also feed D.E. to get rid of worms. we also dust our girls by putting the D.E. in their dust area. just a thought. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  07:51:20 AM  Show Profile
It also helps with intestinal worms at keeping them at bay...it creates good bacteria in the stomach & intestinal tract to help warn off bad bugs, intestinal problems, tummy upset & will help with fighting other ailments....its kinda like what yogurt & kefir do for us.....

I know some that will use 1/2 cup of apple cidar vinegar to 3 gallons of water but I do anywhere from a capful to a Tablespoon....capful in the summer & a tablespoon to each gallon waterer......I give a bit more in the winter to help since they are out in the cold more, plus et more to keep their body temp up to stay warm.....Its one of the best ways to keep your chickens in top shape health wise but it has to be apple cidar vinegar not just plain white vinegar...I guess the white vinegar has been purified too much so even though it has a few benefits its not as good of a benefit as the apple cidar vinegar...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How much Apple vinegar? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page