Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What can I use instead of Oyster shell?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What can I use instead of Oyster shell? Next Topic  

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile
My hens are not eating it.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:35:44 AM  Show Profile
this is only an idea but my thought is. if they need it they eat itsometimes mine eat a lot and then a long time will go by before they eat more. hope it helps sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Cooked, crushed egg shells. When I boil eggs, I save the shells, and crush them when they are dry. I have heard of roasting egg shells until lightly brown, but I have brown egg layers, so I don't know how to tell when they are "done" maybe easy to crush? I boil about 1 dozen eggs every other week or so use the shells, even if I have oyster shell in a feeder for them.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:42:37 AM  Show Profile
I always give my chickens their egg shells back to eat. They are crushed but not really small. I have only had a few really soft egg shells. I have a cold frame that I throw all my scraps out in and the chickens eat and scratch around and you should see this soil now. So nice and black and light.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:33:16 AM  Show Profile
see my article on 'Help my chickens are eating their eggs' here in this section....I too have some that never seem to want to eat enough calcium so I do the calcium tablets...hope this helps you...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:36:03 AM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies, I'll be purchasing the calcium tablets and tunafish this afternoon.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Make sure raw apple cider vinegar is put in their water. Lots of good minerals. 1/2 cup in 3 gallons of water go in my chickens' waterers. And if you make herbal vinegars, the mineral content is even higher. Not just calcium but other minerals that make up their egg shells. Think horsetail, nettles, comfrey, wild mustards, any of the mints make good herbal vinegars. If you go to my recipes/articles page of my website, I give clear directions and recipes for herbal vinegars. That's what my chickens get!

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  08:07:05 AM  Show Profile
I have the following dried herbs: comfrey, peppermint, nettle, yellow dock & dandelion. Can I use them in an herbal vinegar?

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  08:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Try to get the greens that your grocery store is discarding, as they are high in calcium, or try alfalfa. My dad use to raise a lot of game birds and if they started to lay soft shell eggs he would get something green in their diet. We use alfalfa leaves with our laying hens along with the oyster shell.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile
sprinkle the shells in the dirt where they enjoy scratching, toss a handful of feed there also, they will eat it that way without question...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  2:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Fresh herbs are best with the vinegars. Drying plants kills the vitamin C. It will be retained in the vinegar when using fresh plants. Go ahead and look at the recipes page for more info.

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  07:50:20 AM  Show Profile
Chickens create their own Vit C, so its not something you have to worry about if they are getting normal feed so any herbal vinegars you create don't worry about if the Vit C has gone....Do stay away from any citrus peels that you put in any vinegars as it is very toxic & can kill a chicken quickly.....Other herbs will be a benefit like Suzanne says & since they love apple cidar vinegar its a great way to get them to get them when all else they ignore..:)...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  7:15:22 PM  Show Profile
waste milk/cream/buttermilk poured on top of crumble is a traditional way to augment your eggers diet. I believe the traditional order for food scraps goes:
goats/milk cow---> poultry yard ---> hogs

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What can I use instead of Oyster shell? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page