Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What are the benefits of bantams besides cuteness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What are the benefits of bantams besides cuteness Next Topic  

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  5:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Do people keep bantams for any reason besides cuteness? They take up half of the size of a standard chicken, but the egg is so small.

But they are so darn cute.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  9:17:47 PM  Show Profile
One excellent reason is their tendency to go broody. A banty hen can hatch the eggs of a full-sized hen and take excellent care of the peeps. Easy way to enlarge/replace your flock and have a few extras to eat or sell. If I had the room, I would have a regular laying flock and maybe 3 or 4 bantams to do the hatching.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  05:42:36 AM  Show Profile
I would definitely agree with their broodiness. We actually tease our chickens about the insane mothering desires they have. Ours even raised some pheasants for us that a farmer found after he had destroyed the nest. He called knowing we had bantams since none of his. Chickens were brooding. The chosen mother didnt care even when her babies were much bigger than her. We got them for how nice they are. We have two little girls and we didn't want them to be afraid of or not able to help with our chickens. There is an occasional gal that isnt too friendly about you taking her eggs but their pecks still seem to scare more than hurt. Even to roosters are ok to us. Maybe hard on the hens but pretty nice to people.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:06:35 AM  Show Profile
For someone who wants chickens but really has little space to have them is when these cute ones are great..yes the eggs are small but they are eggs.....They make less poo messes since they have smaller poo....need about 1/4 the room of a large chicken...go thur feed a lot slower so cost less in the long run.....if hand raised or around people are quite friendly & funny...definitely a child friendly animal....I have a few that were giving to me that are in with the regular sized & the bigger hens will protect them from the big roo when he gets all romantic on them :)....I like them cause even with feathers they always look like babies to me.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Yes, Banty girls have excellent mothering skills, if they can turn the egg in the nest, they will hatch it, then raise it, it is quite a sight to see a banty hen on the roost with her wings spread over the chicks that are now bigger than she is.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  7:26:36 PM  Show Profile
Mothering skill for sure..and they eat alot less as well. I had it figured out at one time that it costs less to produce the same amount of eggs as with big hens...allowing of course for the size....I love my banties..always had big hens until 9 and 1/2 years ago when we moved here...started with banties then and love love love them. They live a longer time than my others ever did too. I have at least 6 hens that are 9 years old. Not all good layers anymore..but they are cute little pets and cheap to feed.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What are the benefits of bantams besides cuteness Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page