Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Help! chickens eating eggs...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help! chickens eating eggs... Next Topic  

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Is there anything I can do to stop this.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4260 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4260 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  05:06:45 AM  Show Profile
About the only thing I know of is to collect eggs more often. Maybe some else has had success, I have not.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  05:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I would also say collect eggs more often, but I also know that sometimes it can't be fixed. I know of one person who had to get rid of her whole flock and start over. Hopefully you can do something to remedy the situation!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:25:16 AM  Show Profile
it is a real challenge. i do think if you can find the ones doing it pull them. they will teach the others to do it too. you can find them by the yolk on their beak. so sorry you are dealing with this. if they are out of food they will eat them also sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes they need more protien, like a high protein dog kibble. There are fewer bugs this time of year, and because of the drought all year this year. I know my grandmother would buy a 25 pound bag of dog kibble and feed it to her chickens in the winter to prevent egg eating. I usually buy a 25 pound bag of mid-priced small-dog kibble and feed it around this time of year as a preventative. Are they eating the shell too?? that could be a calcium deficiency, feed oyester shell mixed in with their usual food for a week or so. I feed 1 pound scratch grain, 2 pounds lay crumble, and 2 pounds whole oats, every evening at lock-up. I would add about 1/4 to 1/2 pound oyster shell if needed, just enough to see in the mix but not too much. I have 27 laying hens, and 2 roos. This flock also gets all of the kitchen scraps out of the compost pile and I feed about 12 mid-sized pumpkins this time of year, 2 every 3 to 4 days, pumpkin seeds are a good wormer.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:38:13 AM  Show Profile
I have two chickens that give the paper thin shells. When the others go to lay, the brake the egg and then to clean up, eat the inside. I have tried giving extra protein (meat/tuna fish)but nothing seems to help these two hens. I'll run to town and pick up the dog kibble this afternoon. thanks so much.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:04:37 AM  Show Profile
hi pilar, my thought is you need to get oyster shell or crumbled egg shells as suggested. if they are eating eggs that break then they need calcium. hope this helps

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:31:26 AM  Show Profile
You must up the protein & calcium to help with this right now...Get a bag of high protein turkey feed if you can...or grab cans of tuna in water.....Egg eating is always a sign of either boredom or lacking in protein/calcium.....

to up calcium easily...go get cheap human calcium tablets at the store & grind them up.....sprinkle this on their morning food...light dusting is all you need...do this for 5-7 days.....the protein needs to be upped for at least 7-14 days....do not give out dried cat food unless you do it as a scratch...too much ash but good for a boast....

tuna in water is excellent but make sure you have enough so each gets at least a bite of it....I use 2 cans for about 16 chickens...& spread it out cause they will go nuts for it....the turkey/game feed is really good cause you can just add that to their feed.....1-2 c per morning feed....Even if you only have a few eating the eggs you will be helping all of them & it will not damage them in any way....plus this will make healthier chickens as well as eggs.....

if its boredom tie lettuce,carrot,beet tops to a heavy cord like string for them to peck at & entertain themselves...do not use thin string cause if it breaks they will try to eat it like a worm....thats very bad news....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  10:21:35 AM  Show Profile
once a chicken or chickens start eating eggs for what ever reason, even if you fix the problem, its next to impossible to stop the habit, they like the taste...if an egg or eggs accidently gets broken, and they eat it, its no differant than if they purposely broke it to eat...god luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  08:03:36 AM  Show Profile
Tina is right, they will go after any broken egg if not cleaned up...they really like them, but I have had very good results with what I have mentioned above...I only get them eating eggs now if they are lacking in something but if I stay on top of it they no longer eat the eggs....So hopefully you will also only have them eating broken eggs & not going after whole eggs. :)...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  7:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Chicken stew cures egg eating from what I have heard :P

(lol, just had to say it!)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Help! chickens eating eggs... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page