chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:55:08 AM  Show Profile
We recently hached chicks and have been feeding them chick starter feed. At what age can they start eating the egg layer feed?( We have a couple of older hens) Also can roosters eat the egg layer fed also? (We're not sure yet if we have roosters. but I have my susptions)
Thanks
Liz

In God We Trust

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:14:17 AM  Show Profile
I usually buy 1-25lb bag of chick starter and when it is gone that is it. Our chick starter here is medicated and that is the only kind available, so I only do it for a short time. After that they get either a standard flock raiser or layer pellets, depending on their age. You don't want to start them on the layer too soon because the extra calcium is hard on their system when they are young. Deffinatly by 14 weeks I have them on the layer feed. Yes it is ok for the roosters to eat the layer feed, that is all my roosters eat.

By the way you don't want the older hens eating the chick starter if it is medicated, it will transfer to their eggs.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  08:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Usually, I feed starter until aged 6 weeks - then grower feed until 20 weeks and layer feed after that. I haven't ever feed my roosters any different feed than my hens.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile
I usually feed up one bag of chick starter, then move them to scratch grain and oats until they are fully feathered. After they have all of their feathers I put them in with the older chickens and they get what the flock eats. All of mine get the same feed, boy or girl. When I take my bitties out of the brooder, there is a pen on the ground inside the hen house, where all of the chickens can see each other, it helps intergrate the flock when the young ones are ready to move into the flock.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

chick-chick
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Liz
New Britain CT
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  09:38:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies! I knew I could count on you

In God We Trust